Thursday 13 January 2022

Steamed : My Lazy Easy Dinners

This is what I have been doing for many many weeks now - steaming food for my dinners. That's because steaming is so so quick and simple.

What I do is I marinate a bunch of sliced meat with crushed garlic, light soya sauce, sesame oil and loads of pepper. This protein I keep in an air tight container and it keeps well in the fridge for 4 days.

As for the vegetables, I choose those that are suited for steaming (most are) like napa cabbage, French beans, mustard greens and bittergourd.

Then I have the add-ons like egg tofu, frozen dumplings and my favorite, beancurd skin.

Once I add all my raw ingredients into my plate (layered - first with the beancurd skin, vegetables, tofu/frozen dumplings and marinated meat) I add a drizzle of oyster sauce. Then it is off to the electric steamer for 20-30 minutes (depending on what type of vegetable I am using).


One of my favorite veggies is broccoli.


I know this does not look particularly appetizing but believe me it is very tasty.


Sometime I use green leafy vegetables and have to be careful not to overcook these.


I eat this steamed dish as it is, no rice and accompanied by a condiment of light soya sauce mixed with apple cider vinegar, some sugar and lots of chopped garlic and cili padi.


Another favorite add-on besides beancurd skin are these lovely dumplings which I buy frozen from Sanbanto.


They are very convenient to have on hand in the freezer for soups as well.


I'll have to say that my absolute must-have (I may be addicted to it) is beancurd skin. My favorite brand is Everbest which I get from Aeon


I also love to add them into soups because they simply absorb all the great flavors.


So besides soup, this is what I have for my weekday dinners, something that I never get tired of.


To make things even easier, I wash, drain and cut the vegetables and store them in the fridge. When I come home from work, it is just a matter of assembling the ingredients before they are tossed into the steamer. Bon appetit!

11 comments:

  1. Lovely dumplings!!! I loved the bak kua from Sanbanto...but nobody buying for me for a long time now. Can't get that here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh? I must give the bak kua a try then.

      Delete
  2. looks like its gonna be my fav meal too! simple and tasty! i like the meat dumplings and beancurd skin too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I change up the vegetables and it won't get boring.

      Delete
  3. Actually steaming is healthy in the sense it could retain the nutrition and using no or less oil at all. I tried steaming Napa cabbage with pork ribs before. Hubby's recipe. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I do it simply because it is so convenient.

      Delete
  4. Very tasty food. I am drooling looking at your food 🤤🤤🤤. Thank you for recommending sanbanto frozen dumplings. I just bought a few packs from them but haven't eaten any yet. I buy everbest brand too for frozen soyknots and soychips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing, what delicious steamed dishes....will definetely try them....
    May i ask if i coukd steam beef too?

    Thank you,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie! You could, though I have never steamed beef before!

      Delete
  6. is there anything that you should not cook with a steamer pot?

    ReplyDelete