Monday 13 July 2020

Bak Chang : Healthy One No Good


Sorry yah...I know that some people are very creative and try to make bak chang healthier by substituting glutinous rice  (which has a high glycemic index) with ordinary rice or some other grains.

While I applaud their good intention, I still feel that bak chang is not bak chang if it is made with any rice other than glutinous rice. Recently my partner made a trip to Penang and as promised, he brought home some bak chang for me.

There were only three types left and he bought one of each.


This one is made with regular rice I think. Or maybe a mix of both.


Since regular rice is not as starchy as glutinous rice, the bak chang fell apart easily. The mouth feel is not the same. But the bak chang had a lot of filling, was well seasoned and therefore, rather tasty.

That evening I had the other two for dinner.



Both fell apart once the casing was removed.


I think the one on the left is made with millet and the one on the right is regular rice.

Earlier, my partner gave me a text.


He mistook millet for quinoa hee..hee...


Although taste wise it was nice, but it felt funny. I added lashings of my favorite chili sauce to make it more enjoyable.

I told my partner that the regular "unhealthy" one is better hee..hee...

20 comments:

  1. Sacrilege!!! PULUT or nothing!!! Want to be healthy, NO NEED TO EAT!!! I just cannot stand those people!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... let the healthy people eat this type, we whack the pulut ones!

      Delete
  2. What a coincidence...I just ate a bak chang today that my sister-in-law gave me (it was in the freezer over the weekend)...a homemade one, I think (not by her)...and it was really, really good :)
    Healthy bak chang = Awful bak chang = Don't bother = Wasted calories!! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are people who will eat these Bak changs so good what they got choices. Don't like then don't eat lor. Let those who likes eat these and no need to tembak them la. They like mah. Why only left these three types? So weird. All those with fatty fatty pork meat all habis sapu by siapa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, let the health conscious ones eat these type of bak chang. The fatty pork glutinous rice ones all finish, so laku, obviously sapued by those who prefer the not healthy ones hah..hah...

      Delete
  4. LOL, kinova sound like a car model, Toyota Innova LOL
    I'm totally agree with you, bak chang must made from glutinous rice mah, other grains cannot lah~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Ya, for me other grains not suitable and I don't want anymore.

      Delete
  5. haha all sorts of 'funny bak chang' in the market these days....nice name for quinoa....kinova sounds like a car model! (like Toyota innova)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! No more "funny" bak chang for me.

      Delete
  6. The other day I had the millet one too, given by my neighbour... I agree with you, sticky rice is better but then at my age now, I dont mind taking millet chang... hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, I don't care. Still want the glutinous rice ones hah..hah...

      Delete
  7. From quinoa to kinova..? Haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh now i know got regular rice dumplings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard about it and now I have tasted it. Not as good as the one with glutinous rice.

      Delete
  9. Ha ha. I would for sure be the one to order the healthier version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you would! In all fairness, the dumplings were not short on taste. Just the texture and mouthfeel is different.

      Delete