Saturday 18 July 2020

A Disappointing Dinner. We Will NOT Be Back.


A week ago I had an unpleasant dining experience. It was the day I took my cat to the vet. That evening my partner and I were looking forwards to dinner at a restaurant that we have never been to before.

My partner was quite pleased that he found a restaurant for us to try since he knows that his madam loves to discover new makan places. As it turned out, we ended up at McDonald's after the dinner. Let me tell you the story.


Since we had a bad dining experience (which involved my partner turning into the Incredible Hulk) I shall not say the name of the eatery. You can see it for yourself. It is located at Centrepoint Bandar Utama, a place we hardly go to.

It's quite a nice place and we had ourselves a cosy corner, shared with another couple seated three tables away. The menu looked impressive (although very worn out, an indication they have been around for some time) and the photos of the food were very enticing. They serve mostly western fare with a small section of Asian specials.


My partner of course gravitated towards the Asian fare and I myself was not in the mood for ribs or roasted pork knuckles. So it was a fried rice for him and the nasi lemak for me.

We were also given a wine list and since we do not drink, I asked the waitress if they served water. Her demeanor was rather condescending (perhaps she thought we were el cheapo for asking for water). She said no, they don't have water.

Since I did not see drinks listed in the main menu, I asked for alternatives and she said juice. So I ordered an orange juice to share with my partner. I already had a bad feeling or some kind of premonition with this waitress. Her attitude is what we would say "one kind".


My partner's order was served shortly after the juice arrived.


The fried rice was quite good, just like what you would get at a Chinese restaurant, full of wok hei.


The roasted pork was western style, like something you would get at Boon Signature Roast Pork but an inferior version. It did not taste fresh and the skin was not crispy. My partner did not start immediately as he usually waits until my order arrives so that we can eat at the same time.

The waitress came back and informed me that the nasi lemak was not available. So I selected the claypot rice.


After some time, the soup that we ordered for sharing was served (it was some sort of pork pepper soup akin to "too thor thng" but a watered down version). The waiter who brought the soup asked if he could serve us water (aiks! I thought they don't serve water?) and we accepted.


Halfway through the soup (by which time my partner had started on his fried rice), I had a feeling that my order must have been forgotten. I was annoyed and I told my partner that if my order was missed out, just forget it. I will have a McDonald's burger later hah...hah...

None of the servers were anywhere to be seen except for one who was engrossed with his mobile phone. My partner approached him to ask about my order. The guy came back to tell us the order was not in their system. See? I was right.

He asked us who took our order and my partner explained to him that the waitress told us the nasi lemak was not available and took the order for the claypot rice. I also took the opportunity to tell him how she told us that they don't serve water.

He was very apologetic and assured me that he would rush my order. No, forget is I said. Just forget it. Again he apologized.

My partner shared his fried rice with me and after we were done, he called for the bill. The waiter again apologized profusely when presenting the bill and informed us that the the orange juice was on the house. 

On our way out, my partner had some words with the waiter.  He also had some choice words for the waitress. I am  very uncomfortable with situations like this (although I felt they deserved the dressing down) and I waited outside.

I had initially taken photos of their menu and have since deleted them. No point sharing after such an experience.


McDonald's to the rescue. 



Seeing my cat back home cheered me up.

23 comments:

  1. Condescending? I hate places like that. There are some chef owners too - they think their place is the best in the world, snooty like hell. I'd much sooner go to some place not as nice but the people are cordial and pleasant. I would make a scene too at such places but my girl does not like it so most of the time, I would just keep quiet. Poor me! On the verge of exploding!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon it is because we didn't order wine. Well, my partner exploded hah..hah.. and I am just like your girl.

      Delete
  2. That waitress must have some unresolved personal issues that she allowed to affect her service as a waitress. Her superior should be aware of this and give her counselling so that she doesn't give paying customers like yourself a bad experience and a bad taste in the mouth. Good that your partner give his opinion to both of them for them to think over their actions and be a better person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps she does. The boss must know what is going on before customers get put off.

      Delete
  3. Yay! McD to the rescue. McD is so dependable. That's why I find it fun to try their new limited flavours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree...i always drive thru to get the mix & match๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜† when hungry...so dependable!

      Delete
  4. Girl girl is so quiet while u sayang her. So now girl girl has Mandi so no more going outside, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If she has such an attitude problem, frontline server job is not suitable for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geez, why like that? I hate it when someone forget my order especially when was told the dish was not available and we made changes or reorder.

    Yes, dont go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were so angry and yes, definitely never go back.

      Delete
  7. yikes - that waitress definitely sounds like she isn't good for the restaurant. you and your partner might have done their management a favour by pointing her out to them! i'm always hesitant about ordering siu yok at restaurants with slower food turnovers now, cos i've encountered the not-fresh-pork syndrome too many times already. safest just to order siu yok at the fast-moving kopitiams, ya ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boss must know before further damage is done. This is the RMCO and people are coming out to dine, surely any restaurant would treat their customers better es[ecially at this critical time. You got that right, order siu yok at fast moving kopitiams to avoid disappointment!

      Delete
  8. Sometimes restaurants are at the mercy of their incompetent service staff which end up causing them their customers. I think because the place you went to is a lounge bar that the waitress was trying to push wines to you both. That's the reason why I don't like to go to kitchen + bar set-ups or fine dining (with family) coz I'd feel uncomfortable when they give me a wine list when we don't want any coz we're not drinkers and not because we're ael cheapos! >_< These places I'll go with friends since they can drink and can help finish a bottle while I'll only have a glass or half a glass...hee..hee! ;) P/S: If a service staff is condescending to me, I would give her or him an earful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would probably be wise for me and my partner to avoid lounge bars unless if we are entertaining guests who drink! Haiz... what an evening. If I were the boss, I would be very upset that my staff behaved that way. But since it is quite hard to hire people, they might just put up with her but with a stern warning, I hope.

      Delete
  9. Whoa!! How could they make this famous Madame Blogger so unhappy?? I often go to the gym at BU8 and would not hesitate to walk over to give a tongue lashing. Ahem! Penang Lang can go siao and overboard when one stepped their tails. Ask your partner about all the gang fights in our hometown. Kekekeke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh..you mentioned gang fights...I better not say anything. LOL!

      Delete
  10. Been to centrepoint BU but didnt dine in their 'atas' place. I would complain them kaw kaw if they got a customer feedback site and if the waitress have a name tag i would make sure to write it in my complaint too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find Centrepoint is quite "dead" and they are now doing some renovations. Yes, this kind of situation must complain and that staff deserve disciplinary action.

      Delete
  11. Because of the waitress "one kind" attitude, the other waiter had to profusely apologize on her behalf and got a earful too. Like mun commented, I too think she has some unresolved issue, either about her work, her boss or personal issues. Bad for business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. She is not fit to be in the service industry.

      Delete
  12. I thought the food was the disappointment factor when I read your title :P
    People who will show his/her mood on face definitely doesn't fit to be in the frontline service job.

    ReplyDelete