Saturday 4 July 2020

Cat Got Your Ear?


Sorry for the in your face gore and horror. I had a dramatic Monday with my cat. 

It happened in the evening. I got home from work and as usual, I fed her. Then she got all cutesy with me and when she wants attention, she will flop down on the floor like this :


So without a second thought, I scooped her up to give her a cuddle. I must have carried her at the wrong angle which may have caused her pain or discomfort. She struggled and in a flash, took a swipe at my ear.

I shrieked in shock and pain as I ran upstairs to the bathroom. Oh dear. I was bleeding.


It was a very deep gash. A cat's claw is as good as the tip of a very sharp knife. I gently dabbed my ear to clean off the blood.


The blood kept flowing.


The bleeding eventually stopped and I cleaned my wound with sterile saline. Then I had to do the painful but necessary - clean the wound with antiseptic. Yawch!!! pain! pain! pain! phew!


I had to cover the wound and I used gauze and micropore to keep it in place. How I wished my mum was with me to dress the wound. She is after all a qualified nurse. It is always nice to have a medically trained person in the family. 

After I was done, I went back downstairs. I was angry. My cat was lying on the floor grooming herself and I gave her two hard smacks on the rump. She got up, frightened and she bolted up the stairs with me in pursuit.

WHERE ARE YOU???!!! WHERE ARE YOU???!!! I was mad! 😡😡😡 I found her cowering under the bed and I lashed out at her. I have never raised my voice so loudly at anyone. I said so many mean things to my cat  that evening. Like if she did this to me one more time, I would throw her out in the streets. I would never take her back again. She would have to beg for food just like the stray cats. So mean, right? Fortunately, she can't understand what I said.

My cat was so frightened of Mommy gone lunatic. She ran back downstairs. I was in hot pursuit (like Jack Nicholson but without the axe) and found her hiding underneath the coffee table. YOU GET OUT!!!! GET OUT!!! I shouted and I opened the front door. My poor cat made a run for it.

Then I settled down on the sofa to cool down and watch TV. My ear was throbbing. Not long after that, I heard my cat meowing to be let in. Huh? Not scared, ah? I ignored her for more than an hour.

Mommy can't stay angry forever and just like a parent, I have a soft spot for my "child". So I let her in.

Look at her. Does she look repentant? 


I thought she would not come near me again. She was trying to make nice with me. I continued to ignore her.


Then I recalled, that morning she was very aggressive towards a visitor.


Blue eyes had been visiting recently.


Then a day later she was aggressive towards a kitten.


Mommy's ear too had fallen victim. My ear has healed nicely though the scar is still there. Photo taken today, 5 days after the incident.


It's a relief that my wound healed quickly and I am all good. Now for lunch ...


Carbo loading for tomorrow's morning walk hah..hah...

34 comments:

  1. OMG!!! You did not go to the hospital? Get a tetanus shot or something! Get rid of that cat! It is dangerous!!! Predators, all of them, no loyalty, no gratitude!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I can't do that. I am already emotionally attached to my cat. I love her!

      Delete
  2. ...or take to the vet, get its claws clipped!!! Terrible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. That is a deep wound. Glad it healed well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, today it is not painful anymore.

      Delete
  4. yikes! that is quite a cut ... thank goodness you're good at first aid and you prevented the cut from getting infected (i once ignored a gash from a fall on my knee, and it got infected and i wasn't able to go to work for a week). i guess it's also a silver lining that it was your earlobe and not your eye or a part of the face where it could scar more obviously. i'd probably be super-mad at the cat too if it happened to me - it's a bit sad though that the cat doesn't realise what it did, and there's no way to make it understand. children and pets are such a roller-coaster of emotions - they can bring you such highs, but they'll also cause you the deepest griefs :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, thankfully it was my ear and not my face or eyes or worse, neck! I have to be super careful now. Lesson learnt. Yes, what you said about children and pets is so true!

      Delete
  5. Yikes! Looks like a very deep cut. Was your partner at home when it happened? What did he say? Did he ask you to go take a tetanus jab? Poor you and poor ah girl. She didn't know why you are so angry. She was just being a cat. Good that you disinfect the wound properly and it has healed nicely now. So sorry that this happened to you. Does your brother trim the nails of his cat? Maybe can ask him to help trim girl girl's nails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a scary experience. All is good now. I have to be very careful from now on.

      Delete
  6. Ah, wat tan hor! So tasty! I wanted to takeaway wat tan hor this morning but was lazy to wait so just bought ckt instead. Enjoy your morning walk tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That blue eye Siamese cat looks very nicely groomed. Must be someone's cat. The kitten must be so frightened of ah girl. Haiz, last time my sil carried her cat after going to the hair salon to do up her hair. The strong smell of her hair caused the cat to react and struggled and cause a long deep gash on her arm. I suspect something must have triggered ah girl. Just dunno what it was. Lucky for ah girl u are no longer angry at her and let her back into the house. Thank you for being understanding. 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her too much to let her go...

      Delete
  8. Ah girl looks sorry in the photo just before the start of the comments. I see your hair has nice colourings. You have been to the hair salon already? Things are back to the way they were already except for the masks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have no time to see my hairdresser. Hopeful to make a visit soon!

      Delete
  9. Oh dear, that's a very deep gash...it must have been very painful. I would know...coz I've been scratched by my cat before too. I've said this before and I'll say it again...cats are inherently wild as they're after all descendants of big cats (however far down the 'chain'). Even if they're domesticated, pet cats are unlike pet dogs + our cats are descendants of stray cats. We don't know what their family tree/trait/personality is like or how aggressive their 'ancestors' were. We also don't know when and what will set them off. Some cats are known to be more aggressive during mating season or if they've just had an altercation with another cat. We can't blame them for their aggression (or their predatory instincts), that's just the way they are.

    The same thought of throwing my cat back onto the streets crossed my mind too when Cookie bit and scratched me. It's understandable when we're mad in the moment but once we've calmed down, I knew I couldn't go through with it (+ I don't have the heart to do it) coz I know he wouldn't be able to survive on his own after 'living' with me.

    Thankfully your wound is all healed now but you should have had a doctor look at it just to be safe. Cat bites and scratches are known to be toxic or poisonous even. Don't think of declawing either as it's considered inhumane. Going forward, maybe it's best you don't carry or cuddle your cat since she has never been sent to a professional groomer (as per your comment that she has never been bathed/groomed) which means her nails have never been trimmed also. Continue to pat her, feed her, love her and provide her a forever home is plenty enough, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly cats are the way that they are - so unpredictable. Thank you for the reminder and I shall now be very cautious of my beloved cat. I would not have the heart to throw her out as I have come to love her so much. Haiz! Love is dangerous hah..hah...

      I'm all good now, no more pain as of today. I now have a phobia of carrying her, so I most likely would not do it again.

      Delete
  10. I don't understand cat's behaviour but i knw tht cats are naturally wild. They pick up 'cat fights' and tht claw is meant as protection weapon. No point being angry coz i dont think ah girl realise of her wrongdoing. Jst keep a distance with her and don't carry her to avoid her claws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am now very scared of carrying her. It used to be OK but since she is so unpredictable, better not.

      Delete
  11. Aiyoh! I look at your ear with the blood and my legs went wobbly. You are fortunate her claws didn't go near your face or eyes. Next time, be careful not to hold her, just gently pat or stroke her. I had pet cats before and cats can be very unpredictable. Looks like she is a territorial cat, guarding her territory from other cats. The blue eye cat is beautiful and kitty cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary right? I am alright now and I guess I won't carry her again. I am so scared now!

      Delete
  12. i don't really understand cats. Sometimes they can be really nice and sometimes suddenly they scratch your hand. Lately, I played with a cat that came to my house and suddenly swipe my hand.

    Your wound looks deep. It must be really hurts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't understand cat behavior and just have to observe and be careful. The wound was very painful but it has already healed.

      Delete
  13. Oh dear ... that looks like a deep scratch cut.
    Cats mood are unpredictable ... they can be cuddly and the next moody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is why now I am extra careful with her.

      Delete
  14. Oh dear, that's a rather deep gash, luckily you are all good now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was deep but has already healed nicely. Phew!

      Delete
  15. Oh dear! That looks painful .... I do suggest you do take a tetanus jab and get her nails clipped. Best for everyone...Take care of the wound :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wound has healed already, thanks :) She is seeing the vet and I will see if they can clips her nails.

      Delete
  16. Oh no! That is a deep and painful cut, good that you apply antiseptic and that all that is well now. Sometimes cats can get so playful that they become dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. *and that all is well now

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. Thanks... bengal cat for sale

    ReplyDelete
  19. available Bengal kittens for sales online, kittens price,Bengal kittens for sale,all Bengal kittens Price,best Bengal kittens for sale online,all kittens for sales online,all kittens for sales online and price,akc full registered kittens for sale online.

    ReplyDelete