Monday 29 July 2019

My Dosirak


I have been looking for more lunch box ideas to inspire me to pack my own lunches to office. Honestly, sometimes I am a bit lazy to spend a few hours on Sunday to food prep.

On Youtube I found a few and I was quite drawn to the ones featuring Korean lunchboxes known as dosirak like this one.


It looked delicious, mostly because of the luncheon meat hee...hee... Apparently, before eating the dosirak, the lunch box is shaken to mix up all the ingredients inside.


So when I went to Sopoong@The Starling for lunch one day, I ordered the dosirak, just for the heck of it. 


Yup, they actually served it in the metal lunch box which is quite small. Instead of luncheon meat, they used thinly sliced chicken sausage fried with beaten egg. Then there's rice, one sunny side up egg, stir fried kimchi and seaweed. 


Of course I did not shake the box but mixed the kimchi (looked like sambal) into the rice and it actually tasted quite nice. 

So I thought, hey, why not I prepare something like this because (1) I had a can of luncheon meat that I better use before it expires and (2) I have homemade kimchi in the fridge. It should be fun.


I prepared 3 portions, one for Sunday dinner and the other two are for lunch and dinner on Tuesday (tomorrow, public holiday, yay!). That way, I can focus on other things at home (I hope to do some gardening) and I need not sweat it out in the kitchen on my day off.


It was a very easy lunch prep because I just needed to cook rice, pan fry the sliced luncheon meat, then dump the chopped kimchi into the same pan with some seasonings and fry up some eggs. 

I know processed meat is not ideal to eat (it's so delicious though!) but I don't eat this often. 


It was a very quick meal prep and yes, I enjoyed the process and I enjoyed the results. The stir fried kimchi, which acted like some sort of sambal, flavored the rice very nicely. 


So here's to more food preps!

14 comments:

  1. Now suddenly I have a craving for luncheon meat. What brand do you buy? My current favourite is Porkies but I do have a couple of cans of SPAM in my pantry - people gave, too expensive for me to buy my own. Sobssss!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Tulip from Denmark. Quite salty. Won't buy anymore.

      Delete
  2. Your dosirak looks way better than the one served by Sopoong, Starling. Wah, so tomorrow you don't have to cook, just do whatever you like at home with your lunch and dinner kaodim liao.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unhealthy food is delicious so moderation is the key. Your lunchbox looks more delicious and presentable than those served outside. So tomorrow you can chill and do the things you like with food at home. Enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always loved Luncheon Meat! It is something that I could eat with rice or bread or even instant noodles! You seem to be turning into A Korean food chef now. This is exciting.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on Korean trend right now hah..hah...

      Delete
  5. Yours looked much nicer than the Sopoong. One reason is the luncheon meat. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luncheon is nice to eat and your home made lunch boxes look very delicious. Better looking than the one you bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Not so healthy but OK lah...

      Delete
  7. I can eat this bento everyday, because of the luncheon meat, haha! But I wonder how you season your kimchi?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kimchi is seasoned just with soya sauce and sesame oil.

      Delete