Monday 22 July 2019

Bad Lunch Good Teatime Treat


I was walking around the neighborhood when I realized that Frisson Cafe is no more. Oh dear. But I wasn't really surprised. Or sad.

In its place was another similar sort of cafe. But maybe not so whimsical.


It was past 12:00 pm when I walked in. The place was empty.


I sat at a table set for four. After I placed my order, I was served a tumbler of water. The guy placed the water on the next table and I had to take it over to my side. When my coffee was served, he did the same thing.


Again, I had to bring the drink over to my side. The coffee was so so.


Same thing with the side plate (why would I need one anyway?). And then the Home Style Hash Brown (An all American Super-Hero breakfast with chicken ham, cheese and eggs on top. What was I thinking?) was served. Again placed on the next table.


Why can't he put it at the table where I am at? 


I did not know what to expect. And this was it.


The grated potatoes were not cooked through. Still crunchy.


I wish there was some chili sauce to make it go down easier.


OK. One time is enough. The whole afternoon, the semi-cooked potatoes and lingering cheesy taste stayed with me. I gotta eat something to neutralize the bad memory.


To Soylab! Yes!

The beancurd is warm and the teapot contains chilled soy bean milk.
The Shuai Beancurd with choice of two toppings and white or brown sugar. I chose white sugar instead of brown. Don't tell me brown is healthier because sugar is sugar is sugar, brown or otherwise. 


I love the chewy stuff so I picked black tapioca pearls and glutinous rice balls (contains peanut filling). 


I poured syrup onto the beancurd and transferred the chewy balls into the bowl. I could totally eat this without sugar but let's admit, a bit of sweetness make things better. They don't give you much syrup anyway, just enough to subtly sweeten things up. I have seen people going to the counter to ask for more.


I also poured the chilled soy bean milk onto the beancurd as I went along. So nice! The bad taste of lunch was all but forgotten. This Shuai Beancurd is quite filling and I could totally have this for lunch (or dinner) next time :)

29 comments:

  1. What a funny dining experience. I wonder if it was done or purpose or if he was not even aware of what he was doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be right that it was on purpose. The guy was about to catch forty winks at the counter when I walked in. He was trying to tell me something. LOL!

      Delete
  2. what a mystery why the staff served your food to an invisible guest who was sitting at your next table. Ah, I want to eat the shuai beancurd! tofufa and chilled soy milk sounds so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mention of "invisible guest" sent shivers down my spine! LOL! Yes, go eat the shuai beancurd. I loved it!

      Delete
  3. your superhero breakfast looks like a potato pancake. It also can pass off aa a potato omelette. Let me ban this place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not a well executed potato pancake. I think I can do better at home.

      Delete
  4. Pearls? Rubber, if you ask me! Not into those things. I would love the tofu fa though...with gula melaka! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean but the ones here are soft. Oh yes, gula melaka would be perfect!

      Delete
  5. LOL....what's wrong with the staff there? serving food only on the next table?! anyway, the toufufa looks good...I can just eat it without the 'condiments'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made we wonder what was wrong with him LOL!

      Delete
  6. What an unpleasant lunch experience. I don't mind having dessert as lunch, looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Luckily the dessert was satisfying. Just forget about the staff and the bad lunch hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should have said to the guy, "Hey, I'm over here!" Oh, Frisson is no more?....not that I'll miss it. ^_* A check on their Facebook says they have relocated (in Apr) but still in the midst of setting up the new place (not ready after 3 months?)...hmmn...:P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I walked past today around 1:00pm+, peak hour at most eateries and this one was dead quiet and empty. No surprise.

      Delete
  9. What a funny waiter! See if you change to that seat, whether he will serve to the other table again lol!!!

    I want that beancurd.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very sure this waiter has a 3rd eye and could see a ghost being seated next to you. The invisible guest must have gestured to him to serve it. Whooohooo!! Better sit alone at a small table for one, next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TM, please don't scare me lah! LOL! My partner once brought someone for dinner at an eatery nearby and apparently this guy saw a few beings there. After that, I dare not go to that restaurant hah..hah...

      Delete
  11. I must visit Soylab! I love to eat all these chewy bola, bubbles and rice balls. They could easily make me happy and lift up all my foulest mood swings. Should I call them happy food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you must go there and enjoy the nice soy bean delights. Very worth it.

      Delete
  12. That's bad service and sadly bad food too! Soylab again? You must really like it a lot! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, rather atrocious I must say. Yes, I love Soylab!

      Delete
  13. Haja. What was wrong with the waiter??? Geez. I would be annoyed on 3rd time and bet I will give him a piece of my mind. Loved your dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I wonder if he does that to other people.

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Weird weird weird!! Working attitude like this, better don't venture into service line >_<
    I prefer brown sugar anytime, not because it's healthier but I like the aroma and taste :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True true..

      Yes, brown sugar has that special aroma.

      Delete