Wednesday 18 July 2018

An Unexpected Lunch


Or shall I say brunch? My brother swung by my office to drop something off and he asked me "Want to go for lunch?". I am always happy to see him and how could I say no?

I brought my lunch that day (as I have done for the past weeks) but what the heck, right? So off we went, deciding where to go as we walked to The Starling. After some deliberations, we decided to eat outside the mall, at Frisson Cafe.


This is one place that I pass by often but had no impetus to walk in, in spite of the attractive menu displayed outside. Well, finally.


I can't remember the name of the food we ordered and as for the drinks, we are so predictable.


A hot Latte for my brother, served in a cup and saucer that matched his shirt hee..hee... This time I had a hot Long Black instead of iced. I am starting to appreciate hot drinks.


This was my order. It's quite hard to navigate the menu when you are going low carb. There's hardly anything suitable to eat but thankfully, this crispy salmon sort of saved the day. 


It was a very, very thin sliver of salmon. It was crispy as described and with such a thin piece, it's not too difficult to get it all crisp like that. It was a little dry though.

I'm afraid I did not like the roasted vegetables which were tossed in a vegetarian bolognese sauce. The potatoes were soft and cooked through but the carrots still had a bite. To make it worse, the sauce was sprinkled with parmesan cheese. Ugh! The smell was awful >.<


The small salad that came with it was alright - some salad greens tossed in roasted sesame dressing (I think they used Kewpie) and a whole egg. 

My brother's order was a showstopper.


It's some sort of waffle sandwich with soft shell crab and beef bacon. Fancy presentation but not so easy to eat.


So my brother deconstructed the structure and found the soft shell crab very much to his liking. He gave me a small piece to sample and  I thought it was very good.


I left my vegetables practically untouched and my brother tried some. He liked it and ate some more but he did not finish it.


I like this place. My only complaint is that the music is way too loud. We had to raise our voices when we talked. I think I may come back on my own and hopefully on cheat day, I can eat something really nice.

26 comments:

  1. I read about this cafe about their delicious French toast with banana, bacon and peanut butter. It sounds so rich and sinfully scrumptious that I dare not try. Did you see this item on the menu? Perhaps you can try it the next time you go there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not notice. But on my next visit, if it is on the menu, I will try it for you. LOL!

      Delete
  2. that piece of salmon is really small and I suspect they just use the pasta bolognese sauce for the vegetables which I also would not like. guess have to stay away from this salmon dish. thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vegetable was just to bulk up the serving. Not worth ordering.

      Delete
  3. If I am to choose, I would go for your brother's order. More tempting. Hehe.

    Roasted veggie in Bolognese sauce? I don't think that would do. Prefer a simple cooking for veggie.

    Maybe next round if you drop by here again, you can request then to tune down the volume of the music. I don't like loud music too. Pain to my ears. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree hah..hah... Yeha, I should tell them to turn down the volume.

      Delete
  4. My goodness! That sure was a very thin slice of salmon. How much was that? The vegetables looks like they were cooked in bolognese sauce, nothing spectacular. I would go for your brother's waffle sandwich anytime, so so enticing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember the price as my brother paid. Won't be ordering that again.

      Delete
  5. I am afraid to say that this place is not calling me after seeing your dish and your brother's waffle presentation. I would have screamed at them to shut off the music if I could not chat at my normal voice tone. I noticed that only Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia have loud blaring music in some dining places. In China and Japan, I don't recall music being played there. Has it got to do with cultural behaviour? Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the items on the menu are quite attractive. My order was not great but I think my brother's choice was good. He enjoyed it.

      Delete
  6. I am not a fan of salmon, so I will naturally opted for your brother's choice. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On my next visit, I'll have what my brother had hee..hee...

      Delete
  7. Ah, I see you finally decided to pay this place a visit (even though you commented that you'd give it a miss). I had salmon here too with linguine (though my piece wasn't quite like the thin sliver you got, that doesn't even qualify as a piece of salmon!) and thought the bolognese sauce tasted as though it came from a jar. They have a habit of sprinkling parmesan cheese on everything...even on mushrooms in the big breakfast. I'm wondering if your brother's finger could go through the tiny cup handle (mind couldn't!). Wasn't impressed with the food nor their coffees...first time was my last time! >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coffee I had was OK. I think the menu has been revamped and some of the items seem attractive. My salmon dish was obviously not good. Hmm...my finger went through, did not notice my brother's hee..hee...

      Delete
    2. They changed the cups? Hehe! ;D Either that or I have fat fingers, at least fatter than yours. Ok, let me rephrase...I mean my finger did go through the handle but not all the way through to allow me to hold the cup steady. By the way, does the new menu still have two sets of prices...one for lunch and one for dinner? >_<

      Delete
    3. Yes, they still have two prices! I revisited your post and I think the cups are still the same. Wait lah, I went back there and will blog about it soon :)

      Delete
  8. Food presentation look good but alamak! That salmon sure not enough for me! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. the presentation looks good with colorful salad and Bolognese roasted veggie. I wish that salmon could be bigger...it just look pitiful with a thin piece!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The interior is so bright and clean. Ya, you are right to say that it is not easy to eat the waffles sandwich, have to eat them piece by piece seperately

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow crispy salmon.... kalau portion banyak tu confirmedlah lalu je kat usus I tu LL hahaha...

    Tak pe next time boleh try menu lain...

    I rasa org yg buat air tu mmg saja cari cawan biru tu nak bagi match dengan baju your brother hihi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah.. main2 matching pulak dorang. Salmon tu tak berbaloi. Rasanya perut Hainom tak kenyang kalau makan macam tu hee..hee...

      Delete
  12. I really want to know the exact name of the Salmon fish dish you had, if the Salmon is the main star, I would probably send back to them because it's really a big cheat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! 3 weeks on your keto diet is fantastic. Which I has the same motivation as you do.
    We love the pastas at Frisson. They are very similar to the Aussie styled pastas which we love. Next time try the pasta on your cheat day and let me know.

    ReplyDelete