Wednesday 31 May 2017

Sambal Potato Wedges (Sambal Goreng Kentang)


I love potatoes. If I had my way, I would eat them everyday. But alas I cannot. I cannot eat too many carbs lest I grow even bigger. Gaarrgh.... carbs, why do you make me fat?

When I saw the recipe for Sambal Goreng Kentang, I simply could not resist. My favorite carb deep fried and then coated with spicy sambal. How heavenly is that?


From experience, I know that potatoes take a while to cook. To save time, I steamed the potatoes whole and after that I cut them into wedges. Then they were deep fried till golden brown.


The sambal is made of dried chilies, onions and garlic. I already have blended chilies in the fridge and all I had to do was pound the onions and garlic.


These spicy potato wedges were very nice. I could eat a whole bowl in front of the TV. A nice change from potato chips heh..heh...

Sambal Potatoes (Sambal Goreng Kentang)
Recipe source : Adapted from Senangnya Memasak Sambal dan Sos (page 19)

Ingredients :
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and steamed whole until 1/2 cooked
- 1 big onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp blended chilies
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp tamarind juice

Method :
1. Cut each of the potatoes into 8 wedges. Deep fry until golden brown. Drain and set aside.
2. Pound/blend the onion and garlic until fine.
3. Heat oil in wok and fry blended onion/garlic and chili paste until aromatic and oil rises to the top.
4. Add salt, sugar and tamarind juice and continue to fry for about 1 minute.
5. Add the fried potatoes and stir to coat.

30 comments:

  1. I love carby stuff too! Sweet potatoes, normal potatoes and yam.. I like! Just yesterday I cook yam together with dried shrimps, garlic and spring onions.. very yammy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...I love yam too! My fav at the restaurant is the deep fried yam ring :)

      Delete
  2. i've also loved potatoes since i was a kid. sambal potatoes isn't the recipe i'd immediately think of for potatoes (i love curry potatoes though), but it looks very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potatoes have a big following and I am a devoted fan!

      Delete
  3. My girl would enjoy this - she loves potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cook this all the time too...but with sambal made by my mother. I see you threw in some fried ikan bilis for good measure (mine is made with ikan bilis too). But only 3 potatoes, where got enuf? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your mum's sambal is awesome! Care to share? Yup, 3 potatoes was not enough. It was to prevent me from overeating hee..hee...

      Delete
    2. I would love to share my mom's sambal recipe if I knew how it was made. When I said sambal made by my mother...I meant it was given to me in ready-made form....in a tub (and I just spoon it out into the pan)...haha! :D

      Delete
    3. Lucky you to get ready supply from your mum hee..hee..

      Delete
  5. Adoi nyesal masuk blog PH ni tengahari buta camni...terus rasa lapa..peberet ni sambal kering2 camni...gud idea untuk sahur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee.. Sedap kentang masak macam ni, Lina. Nak masak lagi :)

      Delete
  6. I love to eat potatoes but am scared of the carb too. And I could eat many bowls of your delicious sambal potato wedges sambal goreng as long as they are not too spicy. Those that I have tried so far are on the sweet side more than spicy side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am craving for more. Oh dear. LOL!

      Delete
  7. I am a TV couch potato myself, so this food would naturally please me.
    This is amazing that we could eat wedges with sambal. You are so creative with wonderful cooking ideas.

    #PandaiPH #PH-PotatoHighness #WeLovePH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Now your comments come with hashtags :D

      Delete
  8. I believe this must be yummy with the savoury, sourish, sweet tastes and fragrant, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very yummy! I want to make some more hee..hee..

      Delete
  9. I never tasted sambal potato wedges. Must be appetizing.

    I like potato wedges, just fried as it is

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like plain potato wedges too. Can't stop eating them.

      Delete
  10. I just made some yesterday for buka puasa. Not the wedges version but the crisps style version. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Potato is my favourite too! High five!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why, o why do carbs have to make us big and fat? I love carbs and potato is one of them. No wonder I find it so hard to lose weight. Looks like easy recipe...maybe I will try out one day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle to lose weight all the time because I can't resist carbs :(

      Delete
  13. This my fevret too. Selalu buat ni, ingat petang ni no buat juga untuk berbuka.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is always my fav whenever I frequented to those malay nasi campur....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee..I am also the same. Even though eat a few times already, still cannot resist.

      Delete