I love potatoes. If I had my way, I would eat them everyday. But alas I cannot. I cannot eat too many carbs lest I grow even bigger. Gaarrgh.... carbs, why do you make me fat?
When I saw the recipe for Sambal Goreng Kentang, I simply could not resist. My favorite carb deep fried and then coated with spicy sambal. How heavenly is that?
From experience, I know that potatoes take a while to cook. To save time, I steamed the potatoes whole and after that I cut them into wedges. Then they were deep fried till golden brown.
The sambal is made of dried chilies, onions and garlic. I already have blended chilies in the fridge and all I had to do was pound the onions and garlic.
These spicy potato wedges were very nice. I could eat a whole bowl in front of the TV. A nice change from potato chips heh..heh...
Sambal Potatoes (Sambal Goreng Kentang)
Recipe source : Adapted from Senangnya Memasak Sambal dan Sos (page 19)
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and steamed whole until 1/2 cooked
- 1 big onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp blended chilies
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp tamarind juice
1. Cut each of the potatoes into 8 wedges. Deep fry until golden brown. Drain and set aside.
2. Pound/blend the onion and garlic until fine.
3. Heat oil in wok and fry blended onion/garlic and chili paste until aromatic and oil rises to the top.
4. Add salt, sugar and tamarind juice and continue to fry for about 1 minute.
5. Add the fried potatoes and stir to coat.