Monday 1 May 2017

Flingstones (CLOSED)


Finally, I made it to Flingstones (non-halal) after reading about it on Kris' blog back in 2015. All in all, I counted three posts on Flingstones, so Kris must like this place very much (so it must be good!).

It was a Saturday and as most of you who are acquainted with Subang Jaya know, parking here is a nightmare.


After driving two rounds, my brother spotted an open air car park at the end of the shophouse (opposite Inti College). Thank goodness.

Walking into Flingstones, I was very much reminded of Ampersand (since closed) and I love the cosy ambiance. The place is quite small and a few tables were already taken, so I could not take a snap of the interior.

I had a good idea of what I wanted to eat after googling the menu beforehand. 


As usual, black coffee, in this case the Long Black was my drink of choice. My brother had a Latte.


The dish that attracted me the most was the Porky Fat Rice XL. Well, obviously their interpretation of XL and mine are not the same hee..hee.. This isn't exactly XL to me but hey, am I not supposed to be on a diet? Eating smaller portions?

Since my brother and I wanted to try more than one dish, we agreed to split our orders down the middle.

His.


Hers.


Well, the rice which is supposed to be nasi lemak, barely tasted like nasi lemak. It was more like plain rice to me. However, the very well seasoned oink oink and tasty sambal more than made up for it.

Our other order was the Chu Yao Char Angelhair pasta which did not make its appearance even after we finished our nasi lemak.

That's when I spied the table next to us (who came much later) being served what I suspected was our pasta.

So I summoned the server and reminded her about our order. The young lady went into the kitchen and came out with an apology. She admitted to making a mistake and had served our pasta to the next table instead.

I appreciated her honesty and all was forgiven. About 10 minutes later, our much awaited pasta was served.


It was a very small portion and did not look as loaded as the one Kris had. Again, this was split into two.

His.


Hers.


I must say that this Chu Yao Char Angelhair pasta is excellent. I loved the wok hei aroma and this is one very tasty plate of pasta. 

Obviously, we still had space in our tummies. So I made a trip to the counter to order two slices of cake.


One Gula Melaka Banana Cake and one Cendol Cake.

Between the two, I preferred the Gula Melaka Banana Cake. It reminded me of pengat pisang


The Cendol Cake was not too bad, just that we did not like the hard layer of jelly on top.

Service here could be improved as it took 15 minutes for the cake to be served with two trips to the counter for a friendly reminder.

I reckon the service staff are inexperienced as I noted the young server attempting to plate our cakes both times when I went to check. Getting already sliced cakes onto a plate should not have taken so long.

Our meal cost RM93.00 which I felt was a bit steep considering the small portion sizes. 

After the lunch, we adjourned to The Starling where my brother and I split up (as I was going back to office and he wanted to buy his stuff). That's where I chanced upon a fitness demo by CHI Fitness.


The music was very catchy. So I walked closer.


The instructors were at the front on a platform while the participants were getting into the groove on the floor. I enjoy watching other people exercise.

Honestly, just watching these people jumping up and down, I felt my lunch digesting very quickly.


As I moved up to the front, I noted two of the instructors are about my size. How about that, eh?


That's enough exercise for me for the day, and off I went to work.

28 comments:

  1. Yalor...I would not look too bad either if I go and dance beside the two, the red one especially. Hehehehehe!!!! Ya...I hate it when they call it nasi lemak and the nasi is not lemak at all, so disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who says fat people aren't groovy? hee..hee..hee..

      Delete
  2. The cendol cake looks so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice except for the jelly topping.

      Delete
  3. i am more interested in the cakes than the rice and pasta. i would expect the layer of jelly to be soft as jelly is supposed to be soft, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow this jelly was too firm. Too much agar2 I think.

      Delete
  4. i had rice platters today too (including a nasi lemak), so seeing your photos feels like deja vu for me - in a good way, since rice platters are such comfort food :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, rice platters are my favorite! Some rice with many varieties of "lauk". That's the best!

      Delete
  5. The pasta looks good and tasty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gula Melaka banana cake sounds tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The porky fat rice attracted me too. Cendol cake huh? I think I go for the real cendol dessert. Hehe.

    Flingstone. Reminded me of Flintstone. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I read Flintstones the first time. LOL!

      Delete
  8. Wahh... looking at the food and knowing the price is RM90 over, it is definitely very steep.. but I love the desserts though! Made me salivating over them.. and I definitely will look forward to people exercising from now on.. will feel lighter just by looking, right? hahahahaa.. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to enjoy watching exercise videos while eating potato chips on the sofa. wahahaha!!

      Delete
  9. Hey, you finally made it to Flingstones! :) Actually, the prices here are still cheaper than many of the cafes out there (that's coz my friends and I love to cafe-hop quite often), so I accept the smaller portion size (in fact, some cafes are even more expensive but give you this portion size...hehe!). With increasing food prices these days, it was only a matter of time before we're confronted with shrinking portions. I prefer the Babi Fried Rice to this Porky Fat Rice. The jelly layer on the Cendolman here is actually more like agar-agar consistency...slightly harder but since jelly and agar-agar is used interchangeably, we always think of jelly being wobbly, so that could be reason why you were expecting soft jelly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! It was worth the trip though I was disappointed with the service and small portions. But still, I would come back only if I were passing by the area.

      Delete
  10. Oh Gosh! Ampersand has closed? I used to wait there for my wife when she was lecturing at Taylor's many years ago. I also hate the whole area's parking space and the councils are very fast & aggressive to tow away or issue summons fast.

    I must try this Chu Yao Char Angelhair pasta since you said it was excellent. Yums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go and try and let me know what you think!

      Delete
  11. Hi, PH!

    I won't comment about the food since you said it is non halal, my taste bud immediately say 'No' to the photo ^_^

    Wah, some people are like you, huh? The food just so-so (I assume) and the service not that good and still, people come back to visit for more surprise, maybe ...

    How good it is if just by looking at other people exercising we can lose a few inches... When will the time come so that we don't have to worry about exercising?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MD! Let's not talk about the food :) I was very entertained by the fitness demo. I felt like going up and dancing too hah..hah... You know, I used to enjoy watching exercise videos while munching on potato chips on the sofa. Super, eh? LOL!

      Delete
  12. The oink oink and sambal look good to me. The cakes look yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good but only of the rice was more lemak. The cakes were good.

      Delete
  13. That plate of rice not XL size for me too :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's a regular size. No problem finishing the whole plate!

      Delete