Monday 8 May 2017

My Fiery Sambal Fried Koay Teow


Among the three types of noodles, meehoon, koay teow and mee, I would have to say that koay teow is my favorite.

It is the oiliest (if you buy the fresh packaged ones) and the softest and I guess I love that comforting mouth feel that I get when eating either fried koay teow or koay teow soup.

Last weekend I had a craving for sambal koay teow. My favorite noodle in delicious sambal. Now, how tempting is that.

This is not my first attempt. I cooked one a while back and it was just all right and could be improved.

First attempt. Too little sambal. And too little kicap.

So I came away with satisfactory results in my second attempt. I had some chili paste leftover in the fridge and I used up the whole lot which meant that I ended up with an extra spicy batch of koay teow.

But it's all good. Lagi pedas lagi sedap! (the spicier the better!). 


Sambal Fried Koay Teow
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
- 450g koay teow
- some chicken meat (marinated in some garlic and soya sauce)
- 10 prawns
- 3 tbsp chili paste

Pounded :
- 6 small onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 heaped tsp belacan

Seasoning (Mix together and set aside):
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soya sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet soya sauce

Method :
1. Heat oil in wok and fry prawns until cooked. Dish out and set aside.
2. Then do the same with the marinated chicken meat.
3. In the same oil (add more if necessary) saute the pounded ingredients and chili paste until fragrant.
4. Pour in the seasoning and bring to a boil.
5. Add koay teow and stir mix with the the seasoning.
6. Add the cooked prawns and chicken and stir to mix.
7. Serve and enjoy!

34 comments:

  1. wah way too spicy for me but i like the big prawn in the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like kuey teow best too (though i won't say no to fried mee hoon). love how luscious and lip-smacking your recipe looks :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love fried mee hoon too and it comes a close second to fried koay teow :)

      Delete
  3. I'm on the opposite, kuey teow is the least favorite while mee hoon is my all time favorite... But if you give me a plate of your fried kuew teow I'm more than happy to finish it :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I see! Actually, I love mee hoon too, but only fried and not in soup.

      Delete
  4. If me, i eat, i usually will eat kway teow mee...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks delicious. I love spicy. Yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very fiery looking bowl of deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure looks fiery. My missus would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your first attempt already looked like enough sambal for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, really? It was quite sparse to me, no kick hah..hah..

      Delete
  9. These flat noodles are my favourite type in Malaysia. I can also imagine them with some lamb ragout - they make for great fusion cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. MEMANG very spicy! Makes me swallow you-know-what now.. I love koay teow too, even ordered KT soup every now and then over here even though they are not as smooth or silky as we have in Malaysia..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would prefer more belacan, hehe!
    Spicy food certainly opens up appetite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hai PH, sihat? Sori lama tk berkunjung ke sini.

    Dah lama tk masak kew tiew since my last entri about it, hihi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sihat, ticer. Tak ape, ler ni ticer dah jadi guru besar, so bertambah lah busy :)

      Delete
  13. I love spicy koay teow too. Koay teow is my favourite noodle. I am feeling hungry now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We share so much likings and now it is Koay Teow too. I am a spicy king too and love anything fiery hot. I love the red colour of your fried koay teow. I could spit out flames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah...It was quite hot but not so hot until can spit out flames hee..hee..

      Delete
  15. I can feel the heat by just looking at your CKT =.="

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... by the color alone can rasa already :)

      Delete
  16. I prefer char kuey teow. But between kuey teow and mee, I lagi suka meelah, PH. My anak-anak tak suka sangat kuey teow. So bila I masak kuey teow, only me and my husband yang makan. Anak-anak kalau tak biasa, memang they will look at the food macam nampak alien turun ke bumi ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MD, koay teow is my all time fave lah but I won't say no to mee or meehoon. But janji pedas, I will sapu everything!

      Delete