After trying a crispy chicken skin snack which I did not enjoy, I decided to make my own.
But where to buy chicken skin, ah? I reckon at the wet market but I don't shop there.
Then one day I spotted chicken skin at Aeon. One big packet for just RM2.00.
So I bought a packet to experiment. This chicken skin is not available all the time because yesterday I could not find any.
The chicken skins are cut in odd sizes, some big and some small. I took just a small amount to test while leaving the rest in the fridge. I pat dry the chicken skins and laid them in a single layer on a lined baking tray.
I baked the chicken skin in the oven at 200C for about 35 minutes. After 25 minutes, I flipped the skins which have shrunk substantially.
These were the balance of the chicken skins in the fridge. I put them in a colander (uncovered) overnight and the next day I made another batch.
Since there is a lot more skin to bake, I could not lay them flat in a single layer. So I just lined them up as best I could on the lined pan since I know they will shrink anyway.
I also sprinkled some salt on the skins. This time I baked them longer, 200C for 45 minutes (since there were lots more skins).
My whole kitchen smelled so chicken-ny. It was quite strong until I felt dizzy hah..hah..hah... But as the skins baked longer, the smell became more pleasant.
The skins were crispy and crunchy though there were some pieces that were not as crispy. So it is better to bake them in two batches.
- After removing the skins from the packaging, I rinsed them twice.
- Placed the skins in a colander and toss excess water.
- Store the skins (still in the colander) uncovered in the fridge (to dry them out).
- The next day take the skins out and dab them with paper towels to dry them further.
- To bake, place the skins in a single layer on a lined tray. If there is a lot, bake in two or three batches for better results.
- Bake at 200C for 45 minutes or until the skins are browned and crispy (you need to adjust the time depending on how much skins you are baking)
- After 40 minutes, flip the skins and continued to bake until the skins are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Now you ask me, how long can these crispy skins keep? Seriously, I don't know hah...hah...