Thursday 28 July 2022

Mazesoba at Menya Hanabi, Damansara Utama

After hearing about Menya Hanabi from my partner, I decided to satisfy my curiosity by paying a visit.


I had an errand to run at OCBC Bank (how convenient) and after I deposited the cheque, I nipped behind to look for Menya Hanabi.


It is a cosy little place, with conventional and communal sitting.


If you want to see the menu, you can visit my previous post. I wasn't really sure what which mazesoba to order, so I simply tembak the Doniku Nagoya Mazesoba. And because I am greedy, I added two side orders - Ajitama and Cha Su.


I also got myself an iced green tea which was very diluted.


These were my sides.


The cha su had a smoky robust flavor.


The ajitama was slightly overcooked but I am not complaining.


Ah! My mazesoba!


It had fatty pork belly (woohoo!!), minced pork, raw egg yolk and some condiments atop the noodles. As instructed, I mixed everything up.


 Then I added a bit of the kelp vinegar.


Then I stirred some more. After consuming the noodles, which were very chewy and stodgy (in a good way), I was left with some pork belly and loads of sauce.


So I asked for rice as is the way to go, and there you have it, more carbs in my bowl.


The whole idea is for the rice to soak up all the remaining goodness in the bowl.


I felt like a little kid. That's how they eat or rather that's how their mums feed them, right? Now, the taste of the sauce is very, errr... how to say, much like seaweed or kelp/konbu/dashi. It is not fishy, far from it but it is the taste of the sea. Am I making sense? hah..hah...


It was all right for me, not something that I would be rushing back for anytime soon. For those of you who prefer your food light tasting and not too salty, this mazesoba sauce could be a bit too strong for you. It was quite salty for me and though I do not mind robust flavors, this might not be my favorite.

20 comments:

  1. Wow! Rich aunty got account at OCBC!

    I will hop over next week and remember to add rice to soak up the gravy and goodness. I want to feel like a kid too 🤣🤣🤣
    Japanese food is always very appetizing and never tasteless but flavourful. Yums!
    This is the first time seeing Doniku Nagoya Mazesoba. It's attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my account, I do a favor for someone else. LOL!

      I think you will like the mazesoba. Loads of flavor and will open the appetite!

      Delete
  2. i think i would like this...despite being flavorful! and i will tambah 2 bowls of rice to soak up all the gravy. The ajitama was indeed overcooked...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah, champion you! Two scoops will be just nice to clean up the gravy. One scoop I find the rice is too wet.

      Delete
  3. You still use cheques? I thought everybody's into online banking now? I like the look of the chasu...and yeah, the egg's still o.k. Quite salty? Then it is not for me! I'm on a low salt, low sodium diet!!! Sighhh!!!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was someone else's cheque and I just did the person a favor by banking-in. Poor you - on a bland diet.

      Delete
  4. What to do you think that amount of chives for your noodles? I absolutely thought that was too much and the taste was overpowering other ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not mind the chives, in fact I would have liked more spring onions to cut the greasy taste.

      Delete
  5. Cha su looks good. I prefer the taste to be less salty. I would be interested to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be better of they toned done on the salt. I wonder their ramen is any good. Must go back and try.

      Delete
  6. Alamak, your lahling's recommendation tak jadi. As I suspected, I wouldn't have liked the overly robust flavours (and the too fatty pork too) especially since you now confirm it's even too robust for you. >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... My lahling did not say anything about the taste, maybe his was not that salty. The flavors are definitely very strong, so you might not like this one.

      Delete
  7. Wow. Mazesoba looked good. Quite apportion, you finished all by yourself??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your review. The portion is too much for me and salty I won't like. Is the taste of the sauce like dashi?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the taste was like dashi. I agree that this is not to your taste. Maybe other items might be ngam for you like their rice dishes (don).

      Delete
  9. Wow... pork belly! I am now learning how to eat more fats than lean meat.. not sure good or not for my age but apa-la! Just eat and enjoy while we can... ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah.. I always like the fatty parts!

      Delete
  10. The photos do make it look tasty. I've become quite sensitive to salty foods lately, though. I really don't enough too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to like my food on the saltier side but not anymore. My tastebuds seem to have changed.

      Delete