Saturday 26 February 2022

Sweet Smelling Toilets

When you have a cat (or in my case two), you will have toilet duties - namely cleaning your cat's/cats' toilet(s). Haiz.... it is not among my favorites chores, that much I can tell.

I usually wash the litter boxes once a month to keep them clean (and not stinky). However, after my booster vaccine mishap, I was practically unable to do any housework let alone wash the litter boxes.

Luckily the smell was kept under control because I clear the "deposits" twice a day and I use baking soda in the litter to control the odor. I also installed this gadget which I briefly mentioned here.


It is an air and surface sterilizer and it also helps with elimination of unpleasant odors.

So to start off my duties, I emptied the leftover litter into my compost. That's the good thing about tofu litter, it is bio-degradable.

These two trays are both washed, dried and disinfected with Dettol spray and left to air for an hour or two.


 I also washed the hoods.


Then this is how I prep my two cats' litter boxes.


I sprinkle a layer of baking soda onto the trays. This is the baking soda that I use. I also use it in my laundry and recently found out that it can also be used as a meat tenderizer.


This is the tofu litter that I use.


I add a layer of litter (one packet) into each tray and then sprinkle some baking soda onto the litter. Just a thin layer will do.

After that, top up with another packet of litter into each tray.


There you go. There is nothing like clean fresh litter. Ahhh...


Then put back the hoods. When I first installed these hooded litter boxes, I left the flaps open to make it easier and to encourage my girls to use their toilets. Initially, they refused to use the litter boxes, preferring the open one outside. But they have since accepted their new toilets.


Then I closed the flaps and cats being very clever creatures, they figured out that they need only enter and the flap will open to accommodate them. This type of litter box is easier on the eyes especially indoors as you don't see an open toilet (and the "deposits" hah..hah...).


Another thing I like about it is that there is very little tracking when the cat steps out of the box. You only see a little bit of litter on the step (a tell tale sign that your cat has used the toilet) and a tiny bit on the floor.


See Girl? The things mommy does for you?


The same goes for your Belle Belle. I never knew I would end up as a toilet cleaner for two cats. Hah!

12 comments:

  1. And cat litter is extra smelly, worse than what the stray dog leaves outside the gate, all over the driveway. Grrrrrr!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, strays eat all sorts of rubbish and their poop is extra stinky.

      Delete
  2. Taking care of pet is not easy. I totally not a pet person. Maybe will keep one when I am older, more time when kids leave the nest. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True true, pets take up a lot of time and money too!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the tips and for loving the both of them. 😻😻😻

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah girl & belle are so lucky to have u!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky to have them too in spite of the toilet duties. LOL!

      Delete
  5. Didn't notice much smell from my cat's litter box...at least nothing too unbearable coz I try to get rid of his "deposits" as soon as possible. So, the baking soda helps, I see...thanks for the tip. I use Cindy tofu litter and I'm happy with the clumping capabilities as well as keeping smell to a minimum. Yeah, the things we do for them. >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way to go, getting rid of the deposits as soon as they are deposited hah..hah... I meant to try Cindy tofu litter but accidentally clicked on Unico because the seller sells both brands and did not separate them on their Lazada page. Recently they ran out of Cindy's when I was ready to re-stock. Next time then!

      Delete
  6. Oh dear. I read this post 3 times but forgot to post my comments. I must blame anaesthetic effects again. Muahahahaha

    I took great interests to read your litter experiments cos I will be a cat's butler again soon when my sister & hubby are in London next month as planned. Her hubby just had knee surgery 2 weeks ago, so he might not go yet. Anyways, I plan to pay attention to their cats' litter trays on the smell. My sis had over the years been trying new methods to keep the smell to minimal. I didn't smell much because the litter trays are placed outside the kitchen by the maid's toilet door. (They've no live-in maid) I am actually amazed that there's big business and money to be made from cat food, grooming and all those sand plus this new tofu litter. I never paid attention to their names and brands as my sister just laid them easily for me to carry out the twice daily roster for the cats. Heard that? Twice daily!! LOLOL That's how much she loves her cats like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! The key to less smelly litter box is to clear the poo and pee regularly. If the timing is right, I clear the poo immediately after they do business. As for pee, need to give a bit of time for the litter to clump. If scoop too early, it is like mud and will fall apart. All that I know from experience, Please blog about your sister's cats hah..hah...

      Delete