Wednesday 20 February 2019

Horrible Lunch


I was craving for a bento and I thought I would re-visit a restaurant that I have been before but never went back. Not that the food was bad but somehow I was not fated to go back until now.

I did notice that the name has been changed but it looks like the owner is still the same guy (I recognized him). After looking through the menu, I decided to order a fried rice and beef teppanyaki bento. I also added an order of hotate mentai sushi.


The interior layout is pretty much the same as before and I noted a few tables were already occupied.


After a while, I was served the sushi.


It was rather nice and it turned out to be the only thing I enjoyed. And then the server brought me the miso soup and chawanmushi that was part of my bento.


After some time, my bento was served.


It looks all right. I was looking forwards to tucking in since I love fried rice and beef teppanyaki.


Why, there is even a mochi at the center for afterwards. I dug into the rice and stopped dead in my tracks.


The taste was weird. It tasted of ghee/butter/margarine (I can't decide which). OMG. Then I tried the beef.


Oh dear. It was cooked with the same oil that tasted of ghee/butter/margarine. 


The sesame dressing on the side salad was not good. The sesame oil was of poor quality and the dressing was too sweet.


So I survived on the edamame, salad, mochichawanmushi  and seaweed from the miso soup (it was diluted) and left the rest uneaten. What a waste. Total damage RM30.10. Goodbye forever.

26 comments:

  1. Omg! Poor thing. What a horrible lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not good? Looks good though. One of those wannabe Japanese joint, I guess - not quite there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once I ate at a neighbourhood Japanese eatery. The salmon was grilled with a oil that was really off putting that I did not visit that restaurant ever again. I guess it is the same with your case. The oil (ghee/butter/margarine) that they used is the same for both the fried rice and the beef so you got put off by both dishes and could not eat them. I guess unlike us, some people do not mind the taste of the oil and that is what keeping the restaurant in business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the owner was outside when I was leaving, I would have asked and given my feedback. I cannot imagine how anyone can cook Japanese food with that type of oil.

      Delete
  4. Fried by a foreign worker perhaps...kekeke! :D Anyway, the fried rice looked really wet...yucks! Hmmm, they've got google high ratings wor. Ah, this is the place known for its fusion sushi with colourful and beautiful plating. Well, you did enjoy the sushi...maybe that's what you should have stuck to here. ^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my guess too, since they are so used to using ghee wahahaha!! The fusion sushi that I had in my earlier visits were good and perhaps you are right, that's what I should have ordered.

      Delete
  5. I have always developed phobia when I see foreign food being cooked lousy. Their interior decor hardly has any Japanese touch too. The boss could easily brighten up his restaurant by going to Daiso! They have plates, bowls and so many Japanese wall decors that could spice up your appetite too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, the place was too dark and quite drab.

      Delete
  6. oh no....RM30 gone for a lousy meal....I encountered that too sometimes and I wouldn't want to go there again. Yes, the cooking oil is very important in determine the food taste. Like yesterday, I tried on some banana chips that my colleague bought from India, and the first bite I felt like wanting to spit it out coz it was fried using coconut oil, yucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I don't like coconut oil unless if it is virgin coconut oil.

      Delete
  7. Once i ate at a neighbourhood stall which serves jap and western food, i ordered teriyaki chicken rice set, they were western food pretending to be jap food, the teriyaki chicken tasted like western chicken chop with black pepper sauce instead of teriyaki sauce, really cannot make it and the salad served was western salad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like that they should not pass themselves off as a Japanese restaurant. It's like cheating the customers.

      Delete
  8. Eww. I know it sounds like such a first world problem but not enjoying my lunch can really put a downer on the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I was feeling down and upset the whole day.

      Delete
  9. Adui! Pity the food was not up to par.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear! What a great disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bad food sure puts me in a bad mood. BOO!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely place but it's rather unfortunate the food went wrong, that can give anybody a bad mood.
    The Glossychic
    Wonder Cottage

    ReplyDelete