Monday 25 February 2019

A Bloody Good Lunch : Two Hands Restaurant@Cliq Damansara (CLOSED)


Literally bloody, I'll get into that in a bit. Sounds scary? hah..hah... My brother and I had been talking about experiencing the dry aged Black Angus Tomahawk Steak at Two Hands Restaurant@Cliq Damansara after I read the reviews on Kris' and Sean's blog. 

We never got round to that until last weekend. 


We were rather curious as we have never tasted dry aged steak before. We got to the restaurant later than planned, at around 1pm. I made reservations (just in case) for 12pm but we were held up at the optician's.

Walking into the small restaurant, we found the place empty (except for a table at the al fresco area). I guess most diners probably visit in the evening. 

After checking the menu, we made our orders.


No prizes for guessing what the two coffee addicts had for drinks.


We chose one appetizer, which was the Fried Calamari. Wah! Very nice! Well seasoned, crispy of the outside and tender on the inside. None of that chewy rubbery texture that we experienced elsewhere.

The yogurt and dill dip was a revelation. It was just so good. I am usually wary about yogurt but my fears were allayed once I tasted this tangy and flavorful dip.


My brother loved the dip so much that he scooped it up (long after the calamari were eaten) together with the crispy bits of batter. That was how good it was. 

After a short wait, the much anticipated tomahawk (done medium rare) was served in all its glory.


It does not look very big in this photo and you will need to get up close and personal to appreciate its size. The server asked us if we wanted to carve it ourselves or if we preferred the kitchen to do it for us.


Obviously, Chef Vic was not in the house or else I am sure he would have done the honors for us at the table. Ah well, can't expect the good chef to be there all the time. Of course we needed assistance and the server carried the platter back to the kitchen.


And so the carved tomahawk was returned to the table shortly after. It was served with 4 croissants (the best we have tasted, light and crispy) , three types of butter, roasted cherry tomatoes, roasted garlic, wholegrain mustard and flaked sea salt.

Now let's take a closer look at the sliced tomahawk.


Gorgeous, eh? But I found the slices at the center too rare for my liking. I know this is done medium rare and I am OK with the pinkish meat but not the raw ones. There were bloody juices that seeped out from the steak (photo below).


So I revisited Kris' and Sean's blog and peered closely at their photos of the tomahawk. Yes, I did see some pieces that were very rare.

OK, enough about my squeamishness. Now let's talk about the taste. At first, my brother ate his piece of steak with the accompaniments (roasted garlic, mustard etc) and so did I. We were both quiet for a moment.

Then we just simply seasoned the meat with the flaked sea salt and I heard an audible "MMMMM!!!" from my brother.


This is all you need. Salt. Don't mess around with anything else. That's when we appreciated the intense depth of flavor of the dry aged steak. You don't get this taste with regular steak, that's for sure.

I'm afraid there were two pieces of meat that I had to discreetly spit into the serviette as they were sinewy and chewy. 


My brother loved the roasted tomatoes and said what they needed was some pasta. Yes, this would be great as pasta sauce.


The three flavored butter were lost upon us as the croissants were already so tasty on their own.


Both of us were struggling to finish the tomahawk. My brother was clearly doing much better than me as I threw in the towel. This portion of meat would be better shared among three persons. 

My brother and I agreed that the taste of the dry aged tomahawk was simply awesome, those pieces of steak that were "more cooked" tasted better while we did not appreciate the ones that were too rare.

We will come back to Two Hands Restaurant again to try their other dishes. As for the tomahawk, will we have that again? Of course, but not so soon. Maybe we should find out if Chef Vic is in before we eat our next tomahawk to ensure that we have an even better experience.

Total damage? 


Cannot eat rice for the next few months wahahaha!! Just kidding.

28 comments:

  1. How much roughly did the tomahawk weigh? Seems to be a pretty good price and it looks nicely cooked, the ones I've had in the past were over RM1K .... eek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I read it is about 600+ grams. Wow, the ones you had must be top notch!

      Delete
  2. Phew, I'm so glad that it was bloody good for you (and your brother), literally! ^.^ Though I have to admit that yours do look a wee bit on the rarer side. And like me, you also enjoyed having it with just a sprinkling of smoked sea salt to savour its pure flavours.

    I also have to admit, based on the photos, that the kitchen staff doesn't have the knife skills of Chef Vic...hahaha! :D And yes, I think most people prefer to eat steaks for dinner (when they're usually full), so I can understand why Chef Vic is not around at lunch time (+ he nows have a second restaurant to take care of).

    Wah, you guys even eat like I do...kekeke! ;) You don't leave behind the crispy bits of batter in the fried calamari too. Oh, as for the dip, I thought it was a citrusy mayo. So the yogurt dip was so good until I didn't know it was yogurt (that I dislike eating). I wasn't bowled over by the croissants but if you like the ones here, then please order the ones from Ra.Ft the next time you're there (they're even better).

    I'm so happy that you both found their tomahawk simply awesome coz I'd feel terrible if you didn't after recommending you a rather expensive meal (hmmm, I noticed the price of the tomahawk has gone up)! T_T When you do revisit, have a slightly lower expectation of their other menu items (try the cauliflower and dirty rice if you enjoy Indian flavours) as the tomahawk experience is pretty difficult to top! ^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy we made it to Two Hands and the tomahawk was an experience! But I was not too happy with the pieces that were too rare. Ah, never mind. Yup, that was yogurt (the server told us) and surprise, eh? My brother does not like yogurt either and there he was lapping it up hah..hah...

      Will keep in mind your advice on the rest of the menu. Well, I will be saving up for my next tomahawk! LOL!

      Delete
  3. looks good! I think I will bring those too rare pieces back home to grill further to be more cooked. now to save up to go eat this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! My next session will have to wait next year.

      Delete
  4. I think this course itself is more than enough for my family of 4... hahahaa... Normally I like the steak medium done, still a bit pinkish inside without any oozing of the "red liquid"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is huge! Medium would be a good idea to avoid those raw parts.

      Delete
  5. I only eat well done so this tomahawk steak is definitely not for me because I cannot stand even the pinkish colour of the meat. I will have to order something else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great but i also am one for well done steaks so....i won't be eating this soon but the other items on the menu look interesting (had a look at the menu) and will definetly try this place out soon. The cocktails look amazing and so do the desserts..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is enough variety in the menu to keep one happy. I will be returning soon :)

      Delete
  7. looks great! but I wouldn't be ordering this dish, unless I have a group of 3, coz I can't take much red meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, must have 3 people or more or else very hard to finish.

      Delete
  8. RM443.64!!! *faint* Personally, I would prefer lamb...or pork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! This will be a once a year affair.

      Delete
  9. They gave 4 croissants. That was quite a lot but judging from the price, I say it was worth it. And I could only drool and wonder when I would be able to taste such bloody good lunch. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, worth it as we can't cook this at home. Next session will have to wait next year. LOL!

      Delete
  10. I can see you guys had a great time at the restaurant. I'm glad you didn't make two orders for same food this time around, LOL! Have a nice week!
    The Glossychic
    Wonder Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  11. yay! chef vic will be happy to hear you enjoyed the meal, even when he wasn't around - and your feedback definitely provides constructive material for him to keep improving the experience. i have to admit i love my beef as raw as possible, and i request rare as often as medium-rare - guess it's the primal caveman craving :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, had you been at the table, I would have passed you all those raw pieces. LOL!

      Delete
  12. I would substitute the beef with lamb or pork, hee hee. I like to eat bread or croissant with butter, so wonder how different the three flavoured butter taste like. Are the roasted tomato very sour? If not too sour, I would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tomatoes had a slight sourness. Very nice.

      Delete
  13. I had a pretty good experience on dry aged steak at Bali which I blogged before), and Sam miss it so much that she pestering us for another steak meal >_<
    Does this tomahawk priced based on weigh or per portion? That is really attractive piece of meat I would say :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This tomahawk is priced per portion. If you love dry aged steak, I say go over to Two Hands to try the dry aged tomahawk. Sam will love it. I suggest you visit at dinner time when the chef is in.

      Delete
    2. But, the price is really out of my budget ~>_<~

      Delete
    3. It's out of my budget too. So only one time this year. LOL!

      Delete