Monday 18 February 2019

Nestum Chocolate Chip Cookies


For anyone curious if I baked cookies for Chinese New Year, nah! here are my cookies! At the end of last year, I did a stock take of my fridge where I found bags and bags of chocolate chips.

Haiz! siow ah! Stocking up on chocolate chips as if they are such a rare commodity. I don't know. I couldn't help it when I saw these Hershey chocolate chips at promotional prices. So I grabbed a few.

So it came as a shock to me when I found that I had 8 bags of chocolate chips sitting in the fridge. So I made a note to use  them up before they expired.


These don't look anything like Chinese New Year cookies, which are usually petite and bite sized. Nope. They were the usual chunky sort of regular cookies because I am incapable of shaping tiny cookies. I just can't.



These cookies were quite time consuming to make because of two extra steps which are (1) coating in Nestum and (2) putting three chocolate chips on each of the dough balls.



I used milk chocolate chips in the dough and semi-sweet chocolate chips for the decoration. Milk chocolate chips are a melty lot and having them in the dough is nice as they give the cookies a chocolaty richness and won't make a mess. The semi-sweet ones are more stable and do well studded on the cookies.



Well, you don't have to wait for any festive occasion to bake these cookies. If you like Nestum cookies and chocolate chip cookies, I am quite certain you will love these.



Nestum Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
- 250g butter
- 130g sugar*
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g self-raising flour
- 150g milk chocolate chips
- enough semi-sweet chocolate chips for decoration (you can skip this if you like)
- Slightly more than 1 cup Nestum for coating (put this in a mixing bowl)

*Note : Milk chocolate chips are very sweet, hence I reduced sugar to 130g. If using semi-sweet chocolate chips, I would use 150g sugar.

Method :
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add vanilla extract and egg and continue to cream until well mixed.
3. Fold in flour and mix to form a dough (I used a spatula to do this)
4. Fold in milk chocolate chips.
5. Using two teaspoons, scoop a small amount of dough and drop the dough into the Nestum to coat.
6. Using you hands, roll the dough into a ball and place it on a lined baking tray.
7. Continue until you tray is filled (please ensure there is enough space between the cookie dough).
8. Place 3 semi-sweet chocolate chips on each dough and bake at 160C for 16-18 minutes until the cookies are golden brown.


22 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! If I don't start, I am ok. Once I start eating cookies like this I can't stop. So did you finish using all 8 bags of your chocolate chips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! Like Mun, I too will not be able to stop once I started munching. That's the reason I do not order or make any cookies these days. I need to control my weight. So easy to gain weight but so difficult to lose them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love nestum cookies!
    Can wallop whole balang in one go if I'm not careful. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I were to bake this cookies, the process of putting the chocolate chips on the dough balls would be delegated to my kids haha... I'm sure they will have fun doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing like child labor, right? LOL!

      Delete
  5. Omg! Your Nestum chocolate chips cookies look so delicious to me, I can't resist to eat these if I have them. I better don't bake this. I have been putting on weight Phong Hong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yannie, everybody puts on weight during CNY! Me too! hah..hah... Don't worry, cut back on the calories after this and continue with workouts and you will be in tip top shape again!

      Delete
  6. I love Nestum cookies...with butter, Golden Churn no less. My missus made very nice ones but no, she did not make any this year...and the ones she got from a bakery that day was a disappointment, no buttery fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used SCS butter, so sayang to use Golden Churn hee..hee...

      Delete
  7. Mmmm....these would be a huge hit with my family!! We never say no to chocolate chip cookies!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they would love these crunchy and addictive cookies!

      Delete
  8. i can already imagine the cookie monster from sesame street happily gobbling down the entire tray of this! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I loved watching Sesame Street back in those days hee..hee...

      Delete
  9. Are Pineapple Tarts considered cookies LOL, I gobbled up the whole tin of Pineapple Tarts all by myself before CNY ends

    If I eat cookies, I need to have a cup of milk to dip in it, I can't eat them dry like that hee hee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! My mum loves pineapple tarts but I am just ok with it.

      Delete
  10. Why the chocolate chips still remained unmelt after baking? O.O"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The manufacturers made them that way so that they hold their shape.

      Delete
    2. so I need to buy those chocolate chips specially for baking?

      Delete
    3. The chocolate chips are all for baking. Milk chocolate chips melt quite easily but the semi-sweet ones seem to hold their shapes.

      Delete