While digging into my freezer, I discovered two packets of beef that I bought quite a while back. I really need to clear up some space!
I also needed to use up the Terenganu curry powder that is still sitting in the fridge. That's when I decided to cook this Terengganu style curry, which I cooked before. This time, instead of using a mix of dry spices, I used the curry powder.
I am happy to note that the curry turned out well and I enjoyed it very much with the Nasi Beriani Hujan Panas, which was also crowding the freezer hah...hah...
Kerutub Daging Teregganu (Terengganu Style Beef Curry)
Recipe source : Simply Sedap by Chef Wan (page 64)
- 700g beef
- 1 big onion, sliced
- 200 ml coconut milk + 100 ml water
- 2 blades pandan leaf
- 1 piece asam gelugor
- 40g kerisik
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 star anise
- 3 cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp chili paste
- 2 big onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 packets Bunga Ros curry powder
1. Mix blended ingredients with curry powder. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in wok and saute sliced onion, star anise, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon stick and pandan leaves until fragrant.
3. Add the blended ingredients/curry powder until oil rises to the top.
4. Add beef and stir fry until beef changes color.
5. Add coconut milk/water and asam gelugur.
6. Simmer until gravy thickens and beef is tender.
7. Add sugar, salt and kerisik and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes.
8. Taste and adjust for seasoning.