Saturday 9 September 2023

My Favorite Coffee Fix : Kopi C

Kopi C is something new to me. I mean, I have heard of Kopi C but I never drank it and I never bothered to find out what exactly is Kopi C until now.

What got me curious was when I was inadvertently served Kopi C when I ordered Kopi O at a restaurant. I wondered why the Kopi O was brown instead of black.


Then some of you commented that there was milk in the coffee. So I did some googling and found the recipe for Kopi C. What I learnt is the C stands for Carnation as in Carnation Evaporated Creamer.


Most if not all coffee shops or restaurants and coffee trucks use creamer. But I prefer full cream evaporated milk and not creamer because creamer contains not only milk but palm oil (and a slew of other ingredients). I have nothing against palm oil, I will cook with it but not drink it.


So I choose Ideal Full Cream Evaporated Milk. This is the brand that my late grandma used when I was a child.


As for coffee I use Ah Huat Kopi O Kosong.


It says no sugar added but there is sugar in the ingredients when they roast the coffee. But the amount I would say is not material.


So to make my Kopi C, I use two sachets of Ah Huat Kopi O.


I put two sachets into my mug.


Then I add boiling water, about 300ml to immerse the sachets of coffee.


Then I cover the mug and leave the kopi O to steep. For how long? I don't know, I just leave it there until I remember it is there hah...hah...hah...


Usually by the time I get to it, the coffee would have cooled down and I simply remove the sachets.


Then I add 3 or 4 tablespoons of evaporated milk.


Give it a stir to combine.


Then simply add ice. Lots of ice.


No need to add more water because the ice will melt and you don't want the Kopi C too diluted.


Then I keep it in the fridge to chill further. The ice will melt very slowly and I usually enjoy this after lunch on weekends.


I noticed that creamers contain a lot more ingredients like palm olein, starch extract and mono & diglycerides of fatty acids.


The only common ingredients in the two creamers above and Ideal Full Cream Evaporated Milk are stabilizers in the form of sodium phosphate and carrageenan. 


Ideal evaporated milk contains milk solids, milk fat, emulsifiers and stabilizers. The less ingredients the better. 


There is also a recipe on the can but that's not something that I fancy.

So this is how I enjoy Kopi C Ais Kosong in the comfort of my home.

12 comments:

  1. I'm off coffee for good now, the same with smoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I tried 27 days without coffee and got withdrawal symptoms for one week. But I am back drinking coffee.

      Delete
  2. Ah, you finally found the coffee you like! ;) If you like kopi c, you might also like teh c. When you say restaurants, coffee shops and coffee trucks use creamer, are you referring to condensed milk or powdered creamer? I think I've drank this Ah Huat kopi-o before. I can't remember if I liked it or not but since I'm not drinking it now, I guess I know my answer...I now drink OldTown White Coffee O (besides my usual white coffee)! ^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I don't enjoy teh C. I was served teh C by accident once and it did not taste good to me >.< I think they use canned creamer or condensed milk which is more convenient than using powdered creamer. I must try Old Town White Coffee O to see if I will like it.

      Delete
  3. Thank you thank you for the recipe. I shall follow your recipe and enjoy a nice cuppa of iced Kopi C in the comfort of my home. Thanks again. 💕😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! It is so easy to make.

      Delete
  4. I learnt on coffee as I opened up my coffee shop. The difference of Kopi, Kopi O and Kopi C as well as Teh, Teh o and Teh C. And the kosong, Kaw, Pok as well. For me, I still love to take teh c but once a while I go for teh o.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the expert now on making kopitiam drinks!

      Delete
  5. I didn't even know how the Kopi-C and Teh-C names came about. I only knew they mixed with evaporated milk. In Penang, most Kopi Kaw had evaporated and condensed milk mixed together at popular coffee shops since I was a kid. I felt it had the Hainanese influence in Penang since the colonial days.

    I am going to buy a tin of evaporated milk today as a good ice coffee will make me happy and shiok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I know you like coffee and this kopi C recipe will not disappoint heh..heh...

      Delete
  6. I'm not a coffee drink so I cannot differentiate all those different types of O and C, haha!

    ReplyDelete