Thursday 26 September 2019

My Make Ahead Salads


I love food that can be made ahead. It's very practical when it comes to food prepping for the week. But salads?

Well, I was pleased to find out that (some) salads can be made and dressed ahead of time. This of course requires the use of vegetables that can withstand sitting in the dressing for a few days.

If you don't want to pre-dress the salad, that is fine too. Just pack up all your salad ingredients in your container and store the dressing separately. When it is time to eat, just pour the dressing, toss and enjoy.


But I like tossing the dressing in ahead of time to save the hassle of having to toss my salad at my table in the office. It could make a mess.

So I have used kale (which tastes better upon sitting in dressing), beans, carrots, onions, cherry tomatoes and sauteed mushrooms. All these I toss in one go in a big bowl and portion out into glass containers.


I don't toss the sauteed mushrooms together but I place them on top of the salad. Then I also add some roasted chicken for protein.


I am quite happy with my make ahead salads for food prep because I can take them to the office and have salad for lunch. 



Another make ahead salad that I like is pasta salad. This one has spiral pasta, capsicum, onions, cherry tomatoes, cabbage, black beans, corn and coriander.



I toss everything together and then I portion them out into glass containers to be stored in the fridge.



For the dressing, I used Catalina dressing.



Here's to better food at the office!

14 comments:

  1. wow! your salads are so delicious! I will eat them everyday if I can buy them from you, yums! yums!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to make these make ahead (and tossed ahead) salads but when I clicked on your old post on catalina dressing, I realised it had more sugar (including the ketchup as well) than I'm comfortable with...haiz! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could leave out the sugar :) In fact this time I added only 1 tbsp of sugar and realized that I would be able to do without. But yes, tomato ketchup by itself is already quite sweet.

      Delete
  3. Yet to try pasta in salads. Maybe I can give it a go one of these days. I love egg in my salad...and of course, bacon or ham.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eggs, bacon, ham, pasta and some lettuce and tomatoes would be great for a salad - with your fabulous raw egg peanut dressing!

      Delete
  4. I prefer to prepare and eat food as it is. Not all can be prepared in advance especially green veggies. Like your pasta salad. Very creative idea to combine both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people share your sentiments. For me it's because I have no choice and can't spare the time to freshly prepare :(

      Delete
  5. Wow.. healthy food! At least you will have a week's long healthy meal, well done! LOL...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It's quite nice to have homemade food.

      Delete
  6. Me too. Big fan of having food prep done in advance. Soups, pastas, lentils - things I can freeze in individual portions are my faves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely I have not attempted frozen soup. Well, you have given me an idea!

      Delete
  7. Delicious looking salads. I like the salads you made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love pasta salads. I love my carbs too much LOL!

      Delete