Monday 29 August 2016

Zucchini? Cake It!


Zucchini is a vegetable that made a poor first impression on me. It was roasted but not quite cooked through and served with a not very impressive roasted chicken. That happened several years ago at a restaurant.

Since then, I simply turned my nose up at it and never paid it any further attention. That was until I found a recipe for Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread. Admittedly, it was the chocolate chips that attracted me. The zucchini part was more of a curiosity.

Grated zucchini.

Since then, I have been buying zucchini, not for baking but for adding it to my chicken or pork rib soup. I also used it once for making fake noodles

I haven't been baking for a while, have I? Since I have some lemons in the fridge, it was time to revisit breads or rather cakes that contain zucchini.

And since I am at it, I might as well add something more glamorous in the form of blueberries.


Blueberries get me every time. I cannot resist them but only when the price is right. How I wish they were not so expensive. If we can grow strawberries in Cameron Highlands, can we not plant blueberries?


This Blueberry Lemon Zucchini Bread is very easy to make. There is no need to use a mixer and there is no butter involved (though I would very much prefer butter). 


The best part is the lemon glaze. Do not skip that. I am not into icings and frostings but this one is an exception because it is so good.

More glaze please!

This cake is moist with tender crumbs and is very nice to eat. The only thing that spoilt it for me was the smell of the oil I used (grapeseed oil, maybe it had gone rancid?) and the absence of butter. Somehow, the smell of vanilla was not apparent, maybe I need to add more.


I ate one thick slice and it was so filling. 


I'm happy with this bake and I should have used the full recipe for the lemon glaze.

Blueberry Lemon Zucchini Bread
Recipe source : Adapted from A Beautiful Mess

Ingredients :
- 250g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1.5 cups grated zucchini, squeezed to remove excess water
- 1.5 cups caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 250g blueberries (mix with 1 tbsp of flour)
- Zest of one lemon (I will use 2 lemons in future for a more intense aroma)

For the Lemon Glaze
- 1/2 cup icing sugar (highly recommended to use 1 whole cup)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (more if using 1 cup icing sugar)

Method :
1. In a mixing bowl, mix eggs, oil, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla extract.
2. Fold in grated zucchini.
3. Add flour (I sifted the flour 3 heaped tbsp at a time into the mixture to make it easier to mix) and fold into the wet mixture.
4. Once combined, fold in the blueberries.
5. Pour into a loaf pan and bake at 160C for 70 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
6. To make the glaze, simply add lemon juice to the icing sugar and mix until you get a thick pouring consistency.

Note : After 50 minutes, my cake was still not cooked. So I tented the pan and continued to bake.

35 comments:

  1. How nice if there's a piece of cake right in front of me now, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read chocolate chip zucchini bread recipe...I said what? That looked like some kind of blueberry cake/bread to me...and then I read further. I love blueberries but hate that they're so expensive too! >.< I dislike icings and frostings as well but love a lemon glaze (I'm into anything tangy)...and no need to use a full recipe for the lemon glaze (remember, the more glaze, the more sugar needed...haha!). Just a touch brings a citrusy, lemony flavour to the cake/bread...and that's enough in my books. I've never had zucchini bread before and would love to try yours! ^_*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you like lemons and blueberries together, so this is the cake for you. This morning I had one slice hee..hee.. I stashed them in the freezer and it's so convenient to have my cake anytime I want (on cheat days of course and the occasional cheating on a non-cheat day. Hah!)

      Delete
  3. Hi Phong Hong, you are right, must not skip the lemon frosting and blueberries cos' basically zucchini is rather tasteless. I suppose with butter this cake will be more aromatic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! I love this cake. Very ho chiak. Next time I will try it with butter.

      Delete
  4. OMG!!! You are a brilliant chef and baker! I love this cake and please feed me. I promise to be your BFF!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee... I bet your wifey can handle this cake brilliantly!

      Delete
  5. I assume you could feel the texture of the grated zucchini in this bread but can you taste the zucchini? If you omit the zucchini, will the bread be very different in taste and texture since blueberry and lemon are already tasty on their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't detect or taste the zucchini. It adds moisture to the cake and I suppose this is one way to enjoy zucchini hah..hah...

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a very balanced diet. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, on account of the fruits and vegetables :)

      Delete
  7. Cake and one of the coveted kopi peng from Sibu.

    Zucchini (we call it courgette in the UK) makes nice cake. So do parsnips if you can get it. Zucchini fritters, oh yes, made with gram flour.

    Grape seed oil does have a smell if my memory serves me well but not if its cold pressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought my grapeseed oil did not have a smell previously. Oh, zucchini fritters. That is something I must try. I love fritters a lot!

      Delete
  8. Zucchini in a cake? Interesting. Love your daring baking. Beautiful cake by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rose. I love looking at the blueberries :)

      Delete
  9. Zucchini in a cake is new to me. But looking at your cake makes me want to try a piece. Ahh! I love the lemon glaze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I baked with zucchini I was afraid that it won't turn out well. But it did and now I love banking with it.

      Delete
  10. I love zucchini cake, healthy and yummy especially with the lemon frosting :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't know what is Zucchini, then I went to google for it, it looks like cucumber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it looks like cucumber, only bigger and is very dark green. Very nice in salads and soups too.

      Delete
  12. My sister likes to bake using zucchini too and tbe first time I seen a zucchini was in US.. Very jakun one... Since then i have tried cooking with squash too... Cook them longer to get a softer effect..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it very soft in soup. Something like old cucumber.

      Delete
  13. I once tried but my zucchini cake was a disaster😅

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Phong Hong,
    I don't fancy zucchini though, this loaf cake of yours looked delicious ... like the lemon glaze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! Zucchini by itself is bland but it makes the cake moist.

      Delete
  15. So is this cake or bread? Title says cake, then recipe says bread, but... looks like cake to me. Hmm... I'm bring my mixer back home to my mom soon, so I don't think I will be doing much baking anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually a cake but called a bread perhaps due to the loaf shape. This cake does not need a mixer, so you can actually bake it....

      Delete
  16. How does Zucchini taste like? Looks something different to add them in cakes, cos like adding cucumber in cakes, it is not something I had heard of

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite bland, not much taste. But it adds moisture to the cake.

      Delete
  17. Never know zucchini can be a cake making ingredient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, can also make into chocolate cake :)

      Delete
  18. No baking soda or baking power?

    ReplyDelete