Tuesday 9 August 2016

Drunken Legs


I was home on a weekend. As usual, I do my housework. Another thing I like to do is poke around my pantry to find hidden treasures. I found this. Booze. Hah!


Yes, you can easily get your minum (drink) from 99 Speedmart. They even have Vodka the last time I checked.

How did this get here? I must have bought it of course. But for what?


Yikes! Best before November 2015. It is now August 2016. So what. In true PH style, best before date is not an issue. This is, after all, liquor. It can keep, right? So.


I used it to marinate two chicken legs. Not my original idea of course. I happened to spot a Connor's Stout Porter BBQ Chicken in Time Out Kuala Lumpur.



It looked good, served with roasted potatoes, don't you think?


When roasting, I brushed the legs every 10 minutes with BBQ sauce. I used this one.


It's amazing. The Guinness Stout lent a fabulous aroma and flavor to the meat. This BBQ sauce enhanced it. The smell emanating from the oven was intoxicating.


The meat was so succulent, tender and juicy. It tasted heavenly. You could get drunk on it.


I loved the potatoes. It's not cheat day. But just a few pieces is permissible. 


Coleslaw for roughage heh..heh....

Getting tipsy on roasted chicken legs is not such a bad thing.

Guinness Stout Roasted Chicken Legs
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
- 2 chicken legs
- 1 can Guinness Stout
- some olive oil
- some BBQ sauce for basting

Method :
1. Marinate the chicken legs with Guinness Stout for a few hours or overnight.
2. Remove chicken from marinade and let it come to room temperature.
3. Rub some olive oil on the chicken skin and place skin side up on a metal rack.
4. Roast at 180C for 40 minutes (or until cooked). Baste with BBQ sauce every 10 minutes or so.

41 comments:

  1. Hi Phong Hong, can I come to your pantry? I know you have ample stock that can be put to good use. Your roast chicken looks good with the coleslaw. Your post reminds me that I haven't be roasting meat for some time. Why? Cos' I think I have been doing some 'kay poh' work. Must get down to plan something....hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! Come, come, I can give some things away to you LOL! "kay poh" work? Sounds interesting to me :D

      Delete
  2. hello Phong Hong,
    I always quite hesitate to used dark booze either in cakes or savoury dish...so worried it might turn out some weird taste. Guess I should really give it a try...who knows I might get addicted to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel! This is my first time using dark booze and I can say that it is very good!

      Delete
  3. Hmm, might be perfect for me. I'm a bit stressed out now so getting drunk while feasting on chicken legs might be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on you, Phong Hong.

    As long as the food or liquid is vacuum packed or canned (it must not be dented) it should be ok to consume after the best before date. The alcohol will evaporate during the cooking leaving a lovely aroma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Corina! The aroma was so fantastic. I think I might go out and buy another can hah..hah..

      Delete
  5. Wahhhh so chicken looks nice!

    Pity I can't ask to try for some. Haram. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooppss! Sori LOL! Yours I just put BBQ sauce :)

      Delete
  6. I've had this at a restaurant in town, nice. Never tried. Never tried cooking with Coke either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, expired beer can definitely be used in my book. Must taste really good as I like the taste of beer though I seldom drink it now. What did you do with the beer that was used to marinate the chicken? Was all the beer soaked up by the chicken or there was still liquid left after you removed the chicken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was still much liquid left and they had to be thrown away.

      Delete
    2. Can't the leftover beer marinate be used to cook some sort of gravy?

      Delete
    3. Apology for hijacking in the conversation. There's sugar in the stout. I would be inclined to turn up the heat and reduced it till it forms a glaze. To thin it down, add some stock.Stout is not cheap esp if it's an import.

      Delete
    4. Mun : Can, I just didn't about it at the time.

      Corina : Absolutely right. I just didn't think to reduce it to a glaze. Will keep this in mind next time, thanks :)

      Delete
  8. I don't think can be drunk by eating this. The alcohol would have evaporated after being heated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm. I wonder my hubby would enjoy this drunken chicken. I think I wouldnt. Not a drinker. Half glass I already tipsy. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't get tipsy on the chicken because the alcohol would have evaporated :)

      Delete
  10. Guiness Stout is not the same as beer, right? This is the dark coloured one? I once used beer in the batter for fish & chips and I could still taste the beer after cooking. I'm not a drinker so I dare not order anything marinated with stout (I hear it's commonly done with ribs too), so I've not tasted any but your one certainly looks better than the one in the promo pic! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the sweet dark colored one. It tastes quite nice and made the chicken quite aromatic. I think you will like it :)

      Delete
  11. drunken legs ... at first i thought that might be a phrase to describe how i walk after having too many cocktails! :D but yep, the next best thing to a cocktail might be your chicken leg ... looks tempting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah...my chicken leg could be a cure for a hangover :)

      Delete
  12. Ahhhh! Another yummy-licious roasted chicken! The recipe looks easy. I want to try this. First, I must go get the stout and then the chicken legs. Maybe tomorrow......

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Yup, so simple and yet result is so good.

      Delete
  14. The chicken leg looks so delicious! Love the caramelized colour and the "glazey" look! I wish that plate is on my table! And I want more potatoes please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted more potatoes too but I had to control.....hah..hah...

      Delete
  15. Haha, I never usually care about expiry dates. You are the master of cooking with chicken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High 5! And thank you for the compliment :)

      Delete
  16. Mmm...you have just given me an idea what to cook this weekend. I love to cook with the oven, so hassle-free. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are kidding right? I don't think the Guiness Stout marinade will make you drunken LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, you can open up a stall liao! Have an awesome week, dear! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... Have a great weekend, Shirley!

      Delete