Tuesday 23 August 2016

Bliss In A Salad Bowl


Finally, some decent baby spinach for my salad. One weekend at Aeon I was very nosy. I was at the check out counter and I took a peek into the trolley of the lady in front of me.

Hey, I spied a packet of baby spinach. It looked fresh. I could not make out what brand it was (unless I took a closer look, by which that lady would have stared daggers at me) and I made a mental note to look out for it the following week.

And so I did.


From the people who supply those pre-washed ready to eat salad greens that I usually buy. See, this baby spinach is already washed and ready to eat. And it was very fresh.


And it has an expiry date stamped on the pack. That's more like it, not like that other one.

Besides, the packaging is largely transparent, unlike the other one which has a smaller window which prevents you from getting a better view of the contents.


When I got home, I stashed the baby spinach into the fridge since I was having lunch with my brother that day.

The next day, I eagerly looked forward to having myself a big bowl of baby spinach salad.

I sliced up a slab of bacon and fried the bacon until very crispy. 

Then I made the dressing using garlic, salt, black pepper, honey and red wine vinegar. The bacon fat was not thrown away of course. It went into the dressing. Woohoo!!


I added some grated carrots and sliced tomatoes to the greens and tossed with the dressing.

To finish, I topped the salad with the crispy bacon, dried cranberries and walnuts.

And then it nom nom nom!


That I tell you, was a great great lunch. I am happy to note that I now have a reliable source of fresh baby spinach.

43 comments:

  1. I would want to buy that box of baby spinach. My girl loves spinach, quite hard to come by here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also hard to come by over here. I was lucky that day.

      Delete
  2. Got chance, i want to learn cooking from you, see that you are good in everything...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are good too...long time didn't see your home cooked food.

      Delete
  3. I always bought such fresh vegetables in boxes too! I am fond of buying their mixed vegetables for different salad making. If you really calculate, it is cheaper than buying 3-4 types and just using 4-5 leaves for salad. This pre-packed saves time and money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, those pre-washed salad leaves are a blessing!

      Delete
  4. Ah, Genting Garden....I usually buy this brand for my pre-washed salad leaves too. But I don't think I've seen baby spinach in the Aeon near me (will look harder on my next trip). I agree that that would be a great salad for lunch. By the way, did you deep fry the bacon? Coz it looked so well browned on all sides...hehe! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also buy those pre-washed salad leaves as it saves so much time. Baby spinach is not available all the time and I was lucky that day. I pan fried the bacon and lots of oil came out. That's why I managed to brown all sides :)

      Delete
  5. I would replace your bacon with avocados and it would be so yummy! I wonder whether RG would love your salad here since he loves crispy bacon but hates raw greens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the bacon part of the salad. My version of bliss is probably bacon with veggie stir fry... :P

      Delete
    2. Mun : Oh yes, avocados in salad is fantastic!

      RG : Bacon with veggie stir fry is also my favorite!

      Delete
  6. That salad bowl of yours goes down a treat. Yes, please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kind of salad! With bacons and nuts.

    I make salad almost every weekend. Hubby loves salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make this salad for him this weekend :)

      Delete
  8. If without the bacon it would just be "lunch". Bacon makes it "great great lunch". :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great healthy lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You eat very healthy! Though I love salad but most of the times I am too lazy to prepare on my own, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to eat healthy but sometimes not so healthy hee..hee...

      Delete
  11. ready-to-eat salad leaves really are one of the most wonderful modern inventions that we'll find in a supermarket :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. How I love to have salad like you always do but I am too lazy. You are so diligent and your salad always look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy! Actually it is so easy to make especially with ready washed salad leaves. The dressing could take a bit more effort unless if you use the bottled ones.

      Delete
  13. Hi Phong Hong, I always love your salads with roasted meat. This salad with walnuts is much better, lo...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kimmy! The addition of walnuts and cranberries was very good.

      Delete
  14. I remembered that I made Salad once, it was very fun, adding the egg, the ham, the greens, the tomato, the cucumber and the raisins with the dressing, if with crispy bacon, it would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like a filling salad bowl. Good for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks amazing!! I love a good spinach salad. Do you deliver? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the addition of crispy bacon bits in the salad! Well done Phong Hong.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love baby spinach in my salads. The packet prewashed variety is so convenient. Although... when I was last home dad had a whole garden full of spinach and that was fun to pick fresh and toss in a salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, fresh spinach from the garden! That's great. I am now spinach crazy because it's simply so good! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  19. It's always great to enjoy a bowl of fresh, yummy and satisfying salad :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. For me, the best part of your sala would be the bacon LOL
    Portion is too small to fill me up though >_<

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like pre-washed products, they really make preparations of salads easier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps a lot and I only buy pre-washed now.

      Delete