Tuesday 5 November 2019

Misery Thy Name is Satay@Sate Kajang Hj Samuri Damansara Uptown


I had another outing with my Auntie. After fulfilling her chicken rice fix, Auntie wanted satay next. Fortunately for me, there is a Sate Kajang Hj Samuri@Damansara Uptown which is very convenient.

This satay restaurant was closed for a while for renovations and has since reopened. Not much has changed except that the restaurant now has a slight contemporary feel. 

I remember how good the satay used to be. There was a time whenever my parents visited, they would request for satay which my brother would pack for them to eat at home. I also used to tapau the chicken/beef/mutton satay.


Due to my good experience at Sate Kajang, I had no reservations about taking my Auntie there to satisfy her satay cravings. 

So there we were on a Saturday for lunch. I asked my Auntie how many sticks she can consume so that I know how much to order. At first she said 10. And then 15 hah..hah...

You know, in the good old days when I was a kid, my cousins and I would have a satay eating competition come Chinese New Year (if satay was on the menu). We would sit down and enjoy as many to our hearts delight and count the satay sticks.

I remember downing 50 stick (yes, 50) at one sitting and yet I was not the winner. Nowadays, I can do only 10 or at the most 15 (OK, maybe 20). I cannot imagine how I managed 50 back then.

So. Back to our lunch. We have to order at the counter. The young lady who took our order was not very friendly. Her demeanor was one of annoyance. I don't know. That was the vibe I got from her.

Since my Auntie preferred chicken, I ordered 20 sticks of chicken and 10 sticks of mutton satay. I also ordered one nasi impit for my Auntie. For drinks, it was a Laichi for her and an iced Kopi O Kosong for me. Total damage RM47.90.


Look at the condition of the nasi impit. It came with the casing which I removed and I was surprised that it was all brown and crusty on the outside.


My Auntie requested for no ice in her drink and she ended up with a warm lychee drink that was very diluted and way too sweet. My coffee was also very diluted. In other words, our drinks sucked big time. By the way, our drinks were prepared by Ms Congeniality who took our order.


When the satay was served, we wasted no time in digging in. I went for the mutton first as that is (or rather used to be) my favorite. Oh dear. It was tough. It was not well marinated. It was gamey.


The satay gravy was thin and lacking in flavor. It used to be thick with chock full of fragrant roasted peanuts. 

The chicken satay, though succulent and well grilled was sadly lacking in flavor. It was as if there was not enough lemongrass and spices in the marinade. 

My Auntie had not eaten satay for a few years and to her, the satay was all right. But she disliked the mutton as it was too tough and not tasty.


My Auntie pulled out one stick of satay which was more like half a stick. Poor quality control I guess.


I was struggling to finish the satay and so was my Auntie. What a disappointing experience. I don't know what happened to Sate Kajang Hj Samuri@Damansara Uptown to serve such lackluster satay. I wonder if other patrons have the same experience or I was just unlucky that day. This experience will put me off satay for a while.

26 comments:

  1. Oh dear!!! I used to love their satay so much, would go all the way to Kajang just to eat. Sighhhh!!! There is this thing about these Malay eateries - I've had just about enough of them here, blogpost on one coming right up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many branches I think. So they are unable to maintain quality control.

      Delete
  2. Haha, maybe you have to eat Hj Samuri Satay at Kajang itself! :O The last time we ventured out to Kajang, we chose to eat at another satay place, not Hj Samuri...hee..hee. I like a satay sauce that's mixed with pineapple. When ordering satay, it's always only chicken for me coz I don't like mutton + I've never found beef satay that's tender enough. I think the ketupat is browned like that coz they grilled it lightly on the charcoal fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always had ketupat white and had no idea they grill it hah..hah... That's what my auntie said, she finds the beef very tough. But I have had very good experience in the past where the beef and mutton were tender and delicious. What a shame that the standards have dropped drastically.

      Delete
  3. We usually go to the Kajang outlet and their satay is still very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kajang is too far for me. I am sure the original outlet would be the best!

      Delete
  4. just go to their Kajang outlet next time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am quite shocked to hear about this satay outlet at Uptown. Once upon a time, they were just as good as the Kajang's. I guess the renovations affected the wiring inside their heads!
    I always preferred Chicken & Beef satay as the mutton has funny smell to my liking.

    My ex colleague told me that he once ate over 100 satays in a competition while the winner of 130 sticks was admitted to hospital later. He had blood poisoning and terrible constipation. Muahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your ex-colleague is so gung ho! Stomach can pecah lah LOL! I won't go back there again. Must find other places to eat satay.

      Delete
  6. Oh dear, such a disappointing satay experience. I can see that the sauce is watery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pork satay with a bit of fats. I think it is not easy to find pork satay over your side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, not so easy to find here. But I do have a recipe. Ahah! LOL!

      Delete
  8. I was going to eat there this weekend but after reading your review, I think I will just take the MRT all the way to kajang to eat from their HQ to see if it is better or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do go to Kajang and don't waste your time and money at the Uptown branch. Please report back, yah? hah..hah...

      Delete
  9. i remember hj samuri being around in uptown for a really long time, at least since the mid-2000s. sad that the quality control has deteriorated. the founder, the original hj samuri, actually died a couple of years ago, so maybe that could be a contributing factor ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a shame really and I have lost a reliable place to have my satay fix :(

      Delete
  10. This place used to be a "satay takeaway" place whenever there's a party but not anymore since the opening of a non-halal satay stall near my place :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Porkie satay sounds fabulous hee..hee...

      Delete
  11. The Hj Samsuri Satay on the Guthrie Highway is still good and has thick kacang kuah. Although i think all the girls at the counter have an attitude problem and sullen faces :) If you ever venture to Kajang you must try Willy's Satay. It's way better than Hj. Samsuri's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see that you have the same experience with the wonderful front line staff haha... OK, I will look out for Willy's satay if I find myself in Kajang.

      Delete
  12. Nowadays the quality of traditional food outlets have been declining year by year......many times you will come across an unknown/new stall selling really excellent food...and then they are no longer there....guess we have to sniff around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the sad situation nowadays. Sigh....

      Delete
  13. A well trained stomach I see - I don't think I could do any more than three! Such a light weight. Need to up my satay game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only three? You eat like a bird! hee..hee...

      Delete