Monday 11 November 2019

Fried Udon


The first time I had udon, I was not impressed. Ever since then, I never eat udon. So how did I end up cooking fried udon?

Last weekend, I did my major food prep. Two weeks worth of food for my lahling. I forgot to snap photo. Bah! I was actually not really in the mood to cook but I did it anyway, which means that next weekend I am free. Woohoo!!

As part of the process, I deboned and marinated one chicken leg and it was meant to be cooked for his dinner that evening. But after the meal prep I lost steam. Literally deflated. No mood. No energy. Lazy. Blaaahhh....

So I outsourced his dinner.


hahahahaha.... Protein Power Bowl from Goodness Greens Cafe via Grabfood.

Which meant that the marinated chicken was still sitting in the fridge. So I decided to use it to make fried udon.


On our Sunday grocery run, I got me a small head of broccoli. I wanted brown bunashimeiji mushrooms but only the white one was available. So I decided to do without mushrooms.

For the udon, I got it from the cold section, our local Sakura brand which came in a pack of three portions of 100g each. Nice. That way, I can just use one packet and keep the other two.


My Sunday meal prep was a breeze as it was only for me and it was just this fried udon with chicken, broccoli and carrots. It was just a matter of stir frying some garlic, chicken, broccoli and adding the udon with some seasoning of light and dark soya sauce and some freshly cracked black pepper.


The udon needed a brief scalding in boiling water to loosen and soften it. And yes, it was good. Tastes better fried like this than in soup. To me lah.

So you see, sometimes things happen and something good comes out of it. Me feeling lazy ..... partner having to eat food ordered from Grabfood .... fried udon comes out the next day. Hah!

I don't think you need a recipe for this. It's just like frying your good old mee goreng, just that you use udon instead of regular yellow noodles.

14 comments:

  1. Interesting.

    I never had fried udon before.
    Always looking at new recipes ideas from your blog, PH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fried udon looks so presentable and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a big fan of udon in soup either (prefer soba)...but have not tried it fried though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soba also I don't like hah..hah... only ramen. But I don't mind soba in salads.

      Delete
  4. I would much sooner go for your bowl of udon than what he had. Looks so much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His was healthy food hee..hee.. But I like it. I ordered a few times for myself.

      Delete
  5. Your fried udon looks good! The protein power bowl looks like a big portion. Hehehe, good that your partner can eat healthy bowls like this now after some training from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Oh, he can eat healthy food with no problem hee..hee...

      Delete
  6. I thought brown and white bunashimeiji are the same, only the colour different?
    I cooked udon too yesterday, for my hubby for yesterday's dinner of tomato soup with homemade meat balls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noted that there is a light difference in taste. I prefer the brown one. Maybe it's my imagination hah..hah... Oh! You must share your udon and tomato soup with meatballs! Sound yummy :)

      Delete
  7. I have eaten Udon mee for steamboat. I want to try fried udon, should taste like fat noodle (Hokkien mee).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah lah, make it Hokkien mee style LOL!

      Delete