Wednesday 13 November 2019

I Love ................


Unagi, Salmon or Soft Shell Crab? I went back to Fujisawa Izakaya@Damansara Uptown for the set lunch.

From the set lunch menu, there were three that I wanted to try - I Love Unagi Set, I Love Salmon Set and I Love Soft Shell Crab Set.


Now, isn't that lovely? That's the I Love Unagi Set. It comes with a bowl of fried rice topped with unagi, four pieces of maki, potato salad, tofu, watermelon, miso soup and a handroll. 


The fried rice was quite nice topped with thinly sliced grilled unagi and fish roe.


With four maki on the side, this is quite a high carb meal and very filling.


Don't eat the flower.


This one is the I Love Salmon Set. Looks quite bare without a bowl of rice but sufficiently filling. 


What you get is three thick slices of sashimi, three sushi and four maki with the usual tofu, potato salad, miso soup and watermelon.


The salmon was very fresh and I was happy with the thick slices of sashimi.


Again, don't eat the flower.


This was my least favorite set, the I Love Soft Shell Crab Set.


I love soft shell crab but ....


... it was served with soba in cold soup. If there's one thing I can't stomach, its ice cold soup and cold noodles. Arrrghhh.... (I was hoping to save some rice for my cat)


So I ate everything up and had just a bit of the soba and left the rest behind.


My dislike for soba notwithstanding, I appreciate that the restaurant  pairs the different sets with different carbs. That makes it more interesting unlike some sets that are so generic, the only thing different is the protein.

Maybe it would be nicer if they paired the soft shell crab with fried udon or some other warm carbs. I would be happy with even plain white rice.


I will come back again when I feel like having Japanese set lunches. Of all the three I Love sets, my favorite is the I Love Salmon Set.

22 comments:

  1. If I am to choose, ai go for soft shell crab. The salmon looked so good. Drooling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If not for the cold soba, I would enjoy the soft shell crab set a lot more.

      Delete
  2. I'd love the unagi set - it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the fact that it has fried rice is a plus point!

      Delete
  3. Now I see why you don't like soba. When I first had cold soba noodles, I found it a little weird but soon grew to love them (soba noodles are very healthy too)...just like I've grown to love cold soups like gazpacho. But the way it's served here probably contributed to the reason why you didn't like them. It's a bit weird to serve it with hot, fried soft shell crab and with crispy tempura bits as well...hot & cold combination! O_o The ones I had, they're usually served separately on its own with the protein on a separate dish. That way you can enjoy whatever protein you have and then slurp on the cold noodles separately (sometimes the chilled noodles are served separately on a plate with the dipping sauce in another bowl even)...that way they won't clash in taste, texture & temperature. Since you enjoy soba in salads, it's not that you don't like soba, maybe it's the way they were served to you which didn't allow to enjoy it to the max. So, let's see how you feel about the noodles when you get it served to you in the proper way. ^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had soba served in the way you described and yet I was not able to appreciate the dish. Maybe it is a matter of getting used to. I have yet to try gazpacho and at this point I think it is strange hah..hah... Who knows, I might change my mind :)

      Delete
  4. I would love that I love Salmon set too, sashimi and more salmon sushi... and the price is so reasonable too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a very good deal and prefect for salmon lovers.

      Delete
  5. No thank you to unagi but i would welcome that salmon set, slurps! That time my friend had the cold soba noodles, the tempura was served in a separate bowl not together like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should serve the soba and soft shell crab separately but maybe they are trying to save using one more plate LOL!

      Delete
  6. I would be ordering the soft crab set and I prefer warm noodle or rice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have thought the flowers are edible. did you ask them? ah, you mention your cat again, I like. I like the unagi set the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I did not ask. I wonder if they recycle the flowers hee..hee... I like it that you like me mentioning my cat :)

      Delete
  8. The "I love salmon set" looks so appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one is my favorite, will sure order again!

      Delete
  9. I don't like cold noodles too, cause noodles is supposed to be eaten pipping hot, right? =.="
    Sam would be delight to order the Salmon set if we dine in here, she just LOVES Salmon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must bring Sam for lunch during the school holidays!

      Delete
  10. Well, when in Rome just do as the Romans do. It took me a long time to eat cold soba and love it, after I made a trip to Tokyo. It wasn't easy for me to get immersed into the Japanese culture including soaking into their boiling hot and icy cold onsen baths with all the naked men. Since then I loved drinking icy cold milk after the onsen baths, eating cold soba, drinking their bland beer and so many funny things. Now I also started to like Anime and Manga! Muahahahahaha

    Hey, that platter of sashimi looks pretty appetizing with the flowers. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would take me awhile to get used to cold noodles. I was once served ice cold soup at a Korean Restaurant. So weird lah!

      Delete