Monday 1 August 2016

Lousy Noodles


Update : This outlet has closed down.

It was a day when I was supposed to rejoice. It was cheat day! What? Again? Well, cheat day comes once a week, you know? Every Saturday is Cheat Day. A day when I can eat carbs and enjoy whatever food to my heart's desire.

So when Saturday came, obviously I wanted carbs. My brother and I wanted to go to the newly opened Sri Thai at Damansara Uptown. But we couldn't get a parking space. The whole of Uptown was super jammed up. Drat!

Then we crossed over to Damansara Kim, in hopes of dining at Kompassion. Same thing over there. All jammed up with no hopes of parking anytime soon. So. We went back to Damansara Uptown and settled for something else.

Chilli Pan Mee. The shop just opened recently and we decided to go there not because of the pan mee, but because it was very near our main mission.

After looking at the menu, I settled for the Dai Pu Dry Mee...


while my brother wisely chose the Mee Hoon Kueh (Soup).


For drinks it was the Lime Sour Plum for him and Umbra for me.


The Umbra was diluted and therefore it wasn't great. My brother's Lime Sour Plum however, was concentrated and it was rather good.


This is the Mee Hoon Kueh


And this is my Dai Pu Dry Mee. Looks good? I mixed it all up. They were extremely generous with the noodles. As if they knew it's cheat day and that I wanted to eat noodles kaw kaw.


That's when I noticed that the noodles were overcooked, stodgy and very starchy. It was quite difficult to eat because they were so soggy and sticky. The roasted meat and minced meat were not to my liking.


Even the chilli could not help it go down easier.

So. For the first time since God knows when, I couldn't finish my food.


My brother felt sorry for me and offered to exchange bowls. Oh no, I did not want him to eat the awful noodles but he insisted that I have some of his.


So I had a taste and a bit of the pan mee. It was nice, the soup had lots of flavors and I liked the ikan bilis. But I found the pan mee to be on the hard side. But my brother told me that was they way it's supposed to be. Really?

I returned the bowl to him for him to finish his meal. He tried a bit of my noodles and agreed that they weren't good.


Oh yes, I was given a bowl of clear soup. It was nice but I dare not drink too much in case there was msg which would make me very thirsty.

I guess it serves me right for ordering something other than pan mee at a pan mee joint. I'm not writing this place off as yet because I must come back again for the pan mee before I make a judgement. 

With that, we adjourned to that other place that was guaranteed to make happy. To be continued.........

31 comments:

  1. The look of the mee looks plain and doesn't tempts me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya lor...not same as the photo in the menu...

      Delete
  2. Oh dear, your noodles were overcooked and your brother's were probably undercooked (they're not meant to be hard). I can feel your 'pain' when one's having a cheat day....but instead got filled with lousy carbs! >.< If a place can't serve its signature dish properly cooked, I'd probably not come back again.

    Hmmm, since you've already had lunch and your keywords were "guaranteed to make you happy", my guess it'd be a place you've been before numerous times...Ampersand or Epicuro? ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, must be my bad day that day but....let me give you a hint...we went for desserts after that LOL!

      Delete
    2. Aiyor, no need to hint....of course you went for desserts. That's what I implied when I said "since you've already had lunch"...and I know you've had desserts that you enjoyed at both Ampersand and Epicuro before! ;)

      Delete
    3. But both the places you ewew named are not dessert places so I guess PH went to Molten Chocolate Cafe for dessert.

      Delete
    4. Kris : heh...heh...the dessert at these two places pale in comparison with where we actually went to...

      Mun : Clever girl!

      Delete
  3. I guess you are right. Must order pan mee at a pan mee eatery. Your bowl of noodle seems to be a lot! can't wait to read your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much noodles even by my standard hah..hah... must be a rookie kitchen assistant who handled the noodles.

      Delete
  4. Hahhhh!!! These things, bet you get nice ones at some simple coffee shop, cheaper too. I have some good ones in my post today...but I guess you can't comment. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your are right. I had pan mee at a coffee shop once and it was pretty good. So sad, I still can't comment on your blog :(

      Delete
  5. I just ate a similar meal at JoJo's last night. Thumbs Up always!!
    Have you lost much weight with your no carbs diet for sometime now? I have to start mine real soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must try JoJo's then. I am happy to report that yes, I am losing weight, though not as fast as I wish to.

      Delete
  6. Hmm, I think dai pou mee is supposed to be soggy. At least the few times I've eaten this noodles, they were always soggy. Not my most favorite type of noodles too. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? It was so soggy and clumpy, really awful. Won't ever order that again.

      Delete
  7. I do not like soggy or overcooked noodles too. I am also trying to cut down on carbs but so far it was not successful. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Not so easy to refuse carbs. They are always so tempting.

      Delete
  8. I like pan mee kueh.. the ones that they pinch out with fingers instead of the machine. I have been eating that two times in the same shop here in Perling, JB. The ikan bilis were crunchy and the soup was sweet with lots of sayur manis and minced meat.. and yes, plus the hot cilipadi which I throw in some to the soup, that added some kick! hahahaa... Ok, next time hope you get a more satisfactory meal on "cheat day"... at least you half cheated only on that day, ate only half ma... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one my brother chose - the pulled one. I should have ordered the same lah.

      Delete
  9. Every day is a cheat day to me. Carb and protein. hehehe! How to lose weight like that??

    Yummy noodles. The Mee Hoon Kueh looked very appetizing and pretty in the menu. But yours look so pale in comparison. lol! That's why photos on the menu could be deceiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I wish I could have cheat day everyday LOL!

      Delete
  10. So sad, wasting your calories on yucky food. You should have asked the cook to try eating it. But the nice thing is that your brother is such a sweet guy to his sister and offers to swap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my brother is very thoughtful and I was very touched by his gesture.

      Delete
  11. ooo, didn't realise sri thai has opened a branch (or moved) to damansara uptown - i assume it's the same sri thai as the one near pj hilton (which i've actually never tried, even though it's been there for years). i wonder if parking at uptown will get better or worse once the new starling mall opens later this year ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be the same one, the signboard is kinda similar. Perhaps with the basement parking, it might ease a bit but I find that most people are reluctant. I suppose it's not so convenient to park at the basement and walk.

      Delete
  12. Your brother's right. Pan mee's meant to be slightly hard n chewy, or at least I like them that way 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I see! I do like my noodles slightly chewy too :)

      Delete
  13. Agree that the mee in the photos look so much better than the actual ones served

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like my panmee slightly textured, with flour-ly taste :P

    ReplyDelete