Tuesday 18 June 2024

Superior

You know, when you go to the (more atas) Chinese restaurant, they will have a dish called something-something-in-superior-broth/stock. Or something like that.

Well, I may have found my own superior broth thanks to my cats. I used to make pork bone broth but I don't anymore because pork bones are pricey. 

Because I now feed my cats with chicken, what I do is I buy one whole chicken (it's cheaper that way) and cook the chicken in a slow cooker (with a packet of chicken feet thrown in for good measure) overnight.

The kitties get the meat and I get this.


I store the broth in a glasslock container and keep it in the refrigerator.


 Where it solidifies into a jiggly jelly.


I simply dig out the amount that I want into a mug.


Then I pop the mug into the microwave to heat up the chicken broth.

After that I simply season the broth with salt and pepper. Oh my! The taste is simply divine! Salty, peppery and rich. Superior stock indeed! So it's win win for me and my kitties.


***Kitten Updates***

If I repeated any photos, sorry ya. It's quite hard to keep track of what pictures I already posted.


My girls kena photobomb by their mama.


This is what happens when I try to nice nice photo.


Smelling Ah Ma's hand.


My cutie Poodie patootie.

9 comments:

  1. Poodie patootie looks like a gentle and demure cat, is she? I like to add coriander to my soup or soup broth. Just love the herbs taste and smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually she is quite agressive and "chor lor" hah...hah... Oh! I love corrainder too!

      Delete
  2. I'm assuming your chicken broth is made with regular chicken (from the supermarket). I made that a few days ago but couldn't bring myself to even finish the soup. I'm spoilt...I'm too used to the better flavours a choi yin kai brings (and that's only using the bones). Imagine if it was a whole chicken...but too expensive lah. I guess there's no going back to regular chicken now after that...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I better not spoil myself with choi yin kai and you better not spoil yourself (further) with boiling one whole choi yin kai wahahahaha!! I use the regular chicken since it is meant to feed the cats. The broth tastes very good to me, perhaps I have not been pampered with choi yin kai!

      Delete
  3. I will just eat the chicken broth in its jelly form. Cold and yummy πŸ˜‹
    Ah, poodie is grooming tutu. So sweet 😻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried that after seeing how you eat it cold. It is now as bad as I thought, just like eating cold jelly without the sweet taste.

      Delete
    2. Hahahaha, you only like cold jelly if they are sweet ya? πŸ˜‚

      Delete
  4. How much water you put when you cook the whole chicken in the slow cooker? And how long do you cook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put about 1.2L of water, just enough to cover the chicken. I leave it to cook overnight.

      Delete