Monday 6 June 2022

NZ Ora King Salmon


I have not eaten salmon for a very long time. There was a time, many years ago when I was crazy about salmon.

My late uncle used to help me buy a whole fish from a friend of his who supplied this sort of thing to hotels and restaurants. After one salmon too many, I developed an aversion for the fish.


Recently I was feeling a little extravagant. So I got me a few fillets of New Zealand Ora King Salmon.


This salmon has been described as the Wagyu beef of the seafood world


So you don't want to overcook this salmon.


I tried cooking it in a pan, one minute per side. No need to put any oil as the salmon will oil itself.


I used my favorite frying pan.


I sliced the salmon to display the insides.


Ooops....it was underdone. It's a thick fillet so I should have cooked the salmon a little bit longer.


But ooooo... it was so good, buttery and melt-in-your-mouth. However, too much and you will feel really stuffed because it is very oily. 


So this fillet is to share. Don't be greedy (like me)!

14 comments:

  1. New Zealand? Haven't seen any here. We get the ones from Chile or the Norwegian ones, all farmed...so I am not keen on buying. Will buy once in a long while because my girl loves salmon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one I bought online on a whim.

      Delete
  2. Looks so delicious! I love to eat salmon. Can't get enough of it. Where did you buy this lovely piece of salmon. Underdone is better than overdone because you can still sear the individual pieces you cut on a hot pan to cook it further. If overdone then habis, cannot be helped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like salmon but true, don't over eat. Haha. Or else too much of good food also no good. Hehe

    So you didn't cook the salmon again, even though it wasn't properly cooked??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can't believe PH was 'defeated' by just a slice of salmon. The portion looked like a piece I could finish myself...hehe. Maybe because this is premium salmon, so it's extra buttery and oily. Eat it with a fresh salad next time to freshen up the plate, then perhaps not so jelak. Since you say it's extravagant, I believe this is sashimi grade salmon (which can be eaten raw too), so undercooking it just like you did should be fine (like how they cook tuna sashimi grade, just sear on all 4 sides!). Yum! P/S: Next time, share with me lah....kekeke! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is sashimi grade salmon and I can have sashimi at home and make my own poke bowl! Sure thing can share with you, but one slice won't be enough between the two of us since you enjoy salmon too. LOL!

      Delete
  5. i would dip it into wasabi and eat with rice...LOL! (Japanese style) so maybe might not feel jelak....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I am thinking next - sashimi!

      Delete
  6. It must the "day" of your two cat too...............are there let go of you without sharing the Salmon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! They were outside when I was enjoying the salmon.

      Delete
  7. Is it safe to consume the undercooked salmon because I'm not sure if this is sashimi grade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is sashimi grade salmon, so it is OK to consume raw. No tummy ache the next day hah..hah..

      Delete