Sunday 15 August 2021

These Lovely Bones

I am not referring to the bones in the 2009 supernatural thriller, those were human, this is porcine. I hope I am not being too gory.

I use bones to make these bottles of liquid gold, bone broth.


You can read about the benefits of bone broth here and here.


I buy these bones online from Sanbanto and my favorite is the marrow bone because I find that it has the highest collagen content. I used to mix it with what they call brisket bone.


Now I use solely marrow bone.


At the rate I am going, you might think that I am running a pork noodle stall hah...hah...hah...

These bones need to be cleaned by boiling. In the past I never bothered but now I take this extra step.


See how dirty it is, all the blood and impurities are released.


Not a pretty sight. I do this for about 20 minutes. After that I remove the bones into a large stainless steel bowl and rinse  each and every bone for the final cleaning.


Sanbanto splits the marrow bones into halves which is good as this facilitates the release of minerals and nutrients into the broth.


These are the brisket bones which I don't buy anymore.


I like to add celery and onions for aroma and flavor.


Just dump the bones into the slow cooker together with the onions and celery.


Then fill up with water, enough to cover the bones. I also add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to facilitate the extraction of minerals.


Then turn on the slow cooker and let it do its thing. This cooker capacity is 6L and I start with high and once it starts to boil, I turn it to auto.


I am so obsessed with bone broth that I recently bought another slow cooker, this time a 5L capacity. I like the round shape though the oval one has its advantages.


At the end of 18-20 hours, everything becomes mushy.


I normally prepare the bones in the morning and in the evening I switch off the slow cooker. Why? To save electricity and prevent over boiling which can cause the broth to turn very dark (due to caramelization). The next morning I turn it on again to run for a few more hours.


When the broth is cool enough, I remove the bones and vegetables.


This batch I used only onions because I ran out of celery. I decided that arranging the bones upright with the cartilage side down is the most effective for maximum space utilization.


Same process, add water till it covers the bones (and add apple cider vinegar though I sometimes forget).


This one boiled a bit too long and the broth became very dark.


See?

I had both cookers going.


Since this cooker is not as efficient as the new one, it did not overboil.


So no excess browning.


Fish out the bones and onions.


Then sieve the broth over a large pot. It would be an advantage if the pot has a spout like this one.


I let the pot stand while I go clean up the slow cookers. This way, the sediments that passed through the sieve (I must go look for cheesecloth for better filtering) can settle to the bottom of the pot.


I have ready these mason jars.


I carefully pour the broth (careful to avoid agitating the sediments) into a measuring jug so that it is easier to pour into the jar.


The last bit of the broth I just pour all into the measuring jug and let is stand so that the sediments settle to the bottom. Then I pour the clear part into a jar. The dirty part? It goes into the flower pot as fertilizer.

All my hard work resulted in 6 jars of bone broth.


I use the bone broth for soups like my favorite macaroni soup and kimchi jigae


I find there is a world of difference when soup is made with bone broth. It has more body and flavor.


I store the bone broth in the freezer. I make sure that I don't fill the bottles all the way up to allow room for expansion when the broth freezes. When the broth is frozen, you will notice that it actually juts upwards due to the expansion of the liquid.

Any excess oil that on top of the broth can be easily removed once it solidifies in the fridge or freezer.

If you store the bone broth in the fridge (to be used within say, 5 days) you will note that it solidifies like jelly. That tells you that you have done it right and you now have a good supply of collagen (good for your skin!).


It may be a bit tedious but I find that all the trouble is worth it when I am sipping and enjoying soup cooked using bone broth. I actually find it therapeutic making bone broth. 


So I will definitely keep on making bone broth to ensure that I have a steady supply in the freezer.

17 comments:

  1. That was a lot of bones!!! I remember that drama series in TV. Haha.

    I never make broth at home, not even chicken or fish stock. Hehe. Bet your bone broth is tasty and robust with flavours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!

      It's quite a lot of work but I do it because I love it.

      Delete
  2. We always have bones in our freezer to make the stock whenever we want to cook any soup but we never bother about what bones they may be. Some may have quite a lot of meat - we will cook those with the soup and eat the meat later. Nothing goes to waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to eat the meat and not waste it. I should harvest the meat halfway through so that it is not dry and tasteless.

      Delete
  3. This is really a fantastic sharing on making 6 jars of bone broth! I really paid attention to all your details and step by step. No wonder some Japanese restaurants here would put up special signs that their broth have been boiled overnight with bone broth with a pricey tag. The taste was fantabulous of course. You are so expert in this and I am dying to eat your Kimchi Jigae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been making bone broth for two years plus already. I find it enjoyable and at the end of it I have nutritious and delicious broth to cook soup.

      Delete
  4. Very good that you enjoy making these nutritious bone broth. When you mentioned buying another slow cooker, the question, use both slow cookers at the same time pops up in my mind and true enough, you did use both at the same time. Thank you for sharing how you made them, very useful for people who wants to make their own bone broth. 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nutritious and delicious and I used to drink it with just some salt and pepper.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing the detailed steps in making bone broth. We never make broth at home, just soup. Is there a difference between broth and soup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, broth is the initial step from boiling the bones. Then when we add veggies and some more meat for consumption, then it becomes soup.

      Delete
  6. Hi can you please tell me how do you consume these? On their own? Or used in cooking? Do you mind also sharing what benefits you have personally noticed? Thank you so much for the instructions. I might try this now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually consume it in the form of soup where I add on meat and vegetables. I also consume it on its own by adding salt and pepper for flavor. I have been consuming bone broth for more than 2 years already and the most noticeable benefit is smoother and glowing complexion. My skin feels more plump and youthful. My nails have also gotten stronger and I have less joint pain. You can read on the internet for more benefits.

      Delete
  7. Alamak, when I saw your post title, the first thing it reminded me of was that psycho portrayed by Stanley Tucci! >_< How could that be? Well, I guess that's due to some excellent acting. He was so scary in that. I'm now watching Stanley Tucci's Searching for Italy (on CNN, you've got to see this!) and I loved him in Devil Wears Prada, one of my favourite actors for sure, especially when he takes on a gay-ish role...hah..hah! :D As for bone broth, I've never made it at home...too much work + I'm also afraid that the broth might be too flavourful looking at the intensity of it. I only make soup with pork ribs to drink on the same day. ^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah.. Stanley Tucci! One of my favorite actors too! Yes, he was very creepy in that movie OMG! He was also in Julie and Julia in a small role as Julia Child's husband. Ah! I will check out Stanley Tucci's Searching for Italy.

      Making soup with pork ribs is good enough if you are not keen on the long process of making bone broth. Yes, it is intense in flavor and that's why I like it!

      Delete
  8. There was once I make bone broth and after that I didn't make any because I was too lazy. Now reading your post, I am inspired to make bone broth again. But wait, I need to buy a slow cooker first. The old one no longer working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a slow cooker is very useful for long and slow simmering, I can't imagine doing it on the stove!

      Delete
  9. I saw your reply to Lynne regarding the benefits of consuming pork bones broth, now I'm sold! I have weak nails and definitely want a more plump and youthful skin! But my slow cooker is small size one, I think I need to stick to the stove cooking method.

    ReplyDelete