Wednesday 16 January 2019

Raisin Carrot Cake


This recipe comes from Amy Beh and was bookmarked for many years hah..hah... That's me. I bookmark, print and hoard a load of recipes and then never do anything about it. Tsk!

This cake is made using the egg separation method, pretty much like Mrs Ng's Butter Cake. It yielded a buttery moist cake which is lovely except that I felt there was not enough raisins in it.


I baked on new year's day and I chose this recipe because it was easy (well, not quite due to the egg separation part) and I had always wanted to bake this cake from Amy Beh's At Home with Amy Beh 3.

I had all the ingredients on hand, even raisins which is not a staple item in my pantry. It so happened that I saw organic raisins on special offer last year and I bought a can.


I am quite happy with this cake and I am glad that I reduced the sugar by 30g. The sweetness was just right. The next time I bake this cake, I will increase the amount of raisins and add walnuts which I omitted because I had none.

Raisin Carrot Cake
Recipe source : Adapted from At Home with Amy Beh 3 (page 20)

Ingredients :
- 185g self raising flour
- 150g grated carrots
- 60g mixture of black and golden raisins (suggest 100g)
- juice from 1/2 an orange
- zest from 1 orange
- 185g butter
- 130g soft brown sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 20g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract

Method :
1. Soak raisins in orange juice for 10 minutes.
2. Grease and line an 8" square pan and set aside.
3. Sift flour and set aside.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs whites and caster sugar until soft peaks. Set aside.
5. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
6. Add orange zest, vanilla extract and egg yolks, one at a time beating well after each addition.
7. Fold in carrots and raisins until well combined.
8. Then fold in the beaten egg whites, 1/3 at a time, until combined.
9. Next fold in flour, 1/3 at a time, until well combined.
10. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake at 160C for 40 minutes or until skewer inserted into center of the cake comes out clean.
11. Cool the cake in the tin for about 15-20 minutes and the remove to cool completely on a wire rack.

26 comments:

  1. Her name rings the bell. In my course of earlier advertising jobs, I have personally met Agnes Chang, Amy Beh and Florence Tan during private meeting sessions. They are all very interesting and fun to talk with. I guess all the good cooks and chef including you have this bubbly and lively characters! They made me laugh with kitchen jokes. Agnes Chang taught me some cooking tricks for lazy couples too! LOLOL

    I love to eat moist carrot cakes all my life. Now with added raisins, I could imagine some fragrance and added textures to make my tea time more yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always have a chance to rub shoulders with well known people! I used to think that carrots in cakes is so weird, but not anymore.

      Delete
  2. Yummy .... i love carrot cakes

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, so tempting! I wanna eat this delicious carrot cake! dies... from longing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to follow here recipes when it was published in the Star on weekends.
    Is she still writing there? No time never read weekend paper dy. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Me too and I can do without the frosting.

      Delete
  6. Talk about printed recipe. I have a lot and hoard on them, still haven't experimented on most of them! Lol!

    Carrot cake, not a fan as I find it rather dry. Or maybe it is meant to be like that. Hehe.

    Buttery moist cake, hmm. I bet yours is good and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! This carrot cake is moist, so don't worry.

      Delete
  7. I like buttery moist cake with raisins in it, yums!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had plenty of recipes printed out but hardly use them. Now easier to refer to recipes with a few clicks on the mouse. Carrot, raisin and walnut moist cake sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. quite a lovely-looking cake - love the colour, and the texture looks rich but not too rich! quite different from some of the commercial carrot cakes we see in cafes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's different, lighter in texture and does not need any frosting :)

      Delete
  10. looks very good and soft and fluffy..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I prefer this to the more dense carrot cakes.

      Delete
  11. Ooh! I love carrot cakes as well. The walnuts are a must though. This looks good, moist and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they will be included in my next bake!

      Delete
  12. Think I would try Sultanas in as like them better than Raisins.. Will be trying this recipe.. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! By just looking at the color of the cake, I know it tastes heavenly good. Love you combine carrot, raisin and orange, what a perfect combo. Lovely bake!

    ReplyDelete