Friday 18 January 2019

What My Auntie Eats in Hobbit Land


Every now and then my auntie spams me from Hobbit Land with photos of the food she eats/cooks. I like hearing from her and when the food is interesting I ask her for the recipe.


This is my auntie's homemade tang yuan during the recent tang yuan festival.


See, she even makes ang koo.



Lepat ubi also got.



My auntie is a very talented cook/baker. Her bak chang is the best!



She takes the trouble to learn and make. Salute!



My auntie made her own kiam chye recently.


She said it is better than store bought, not so salty. I must really try this.



A while ago my auntie bought half chicken and half roasted duck for NZ$16.99. She told me that every Friday to Sunday, the Chinese supermarket will have their weekend specials.



Steamed fish and stir fried asparagus. 


My auntie's leftover nasi lemak and sambal eaten with her own freshly harvested vegetables. Sedapnya!


My aunties was complaining that this packet of petai cost her NZ$6. I told her that over here at the supermarket it is also pricey.


She cooked bak char belacan with the petai. Yum yum!


Bittergourd fried with eggs. One of my favorites too.


Then she showed me this chili oil that she made. I usually see chili oil at pan mee shops or some Chinese restaurants. I don't know if this is the same one but I asked for the recipe.



This is my aunties's style. Like kereta api, no brakes, no punctuation. Terus laju gitu

Then there's more.


Pening kejap.


Then she showed me this delicious looking thing which I have never seen before. So I asked.


I wanted to ask for the chives and egg pocket recipe but then again.... I think I need to figure out the chili oil thing first. One step at a time.

24 comments:

  1. Oooo...looks like great cooks run in your family. You went to Hobbitland? Love the place so much, but a tad too expensive for the likes of me. Yes, when I buy kiam chye from the wet market, I would ask for the ones they make themselves. Very much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but I wish I did :) I must really make kiam chye at home since you also vouch for the homemade ones.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Frozen petai!

    Sorry, that was what caught my eyes. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It looks like I can add petai to me freezer hee...hee....

      Delete
  3. ur auntie is so nice to 'spam' u with all the food pics and share to u the recipe. She can write lengthily with details on how to DIY like a recipe book (just without punctuation), but that's good enuff to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never had aunties or uncles who spammed me. You are so lucky!
    It is funny when they live in overseas, they will try to make and cook every local Asian food while we just don't bother to learn them over here. We are spoilt lah.

    I was always dead curious about chilly oil as the first time I saw it was at the San Francisco Chinatown during my student days as they seem to serve this at every Asian restaurants. On checking the bottles, it labelled Vietnam and so I thought it was a Vietnamese styled chilly. Few years ago I found out in China that this chilly oil originated from Sichuan Province. They have hundreds of versions there! Pedas my mulut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the chili oil I ate was very good. I am still trying to figure out my aunt's recipe. LOL!

      Delete
  5. I see your auntie's chung...and it's white...I like already! ;) I'm shocked to see styrofoam packaging still being used in NZ! O_o Yes, that chili oil you can come across at some Chinese restaurants (like Din Tai Fung)..it looks delicious. The ones at pan mee shops are usually dried fried with no chilli oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My auntie's chung is outstanding. Not saying that just because she is my auntie hee..hee... She did teach me once but I have already forgotten but I did not forget how I sucked at wrapping the chung >.< I will attempt my auntie's chili oil once I decipher her recipe hee...hee...

      Delete
  6. Your aunt is a good cook/baker. Her kuehs all looked good. A skill that younger generation lost slowly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is teaching her granddaughter and I hope the young lady inherits the skills!

      Delete
  7. wow! your aunt is such a good cook! Quick, please make the chili oil cos I am curious to read your post about it. you must be very close to your aunt. have you visited her in NZ? Time for a holiday to NZ to visit your aunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My aunt is an excellent cook! Once day I hope to make it to NZ :)

      Delete
  8. So nice to have aunt who spams you with good food she eats together with the recipes, lol when you said your aunt's explanation is without brakes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! My aunt also passed me he recipe scrap books. One day I must blog about it.

      Delete
  9. Cooking talent runs in your family. I love lepat pisang and I miss eating lepat pisang! It must be fun having an aunt who loves cooking and can share recipes with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My auntie is an encyclopedia of recipes. If only her writing is more coherent LOL!

      Delete
  10. gosh, it's really true - the good-cooking genes are inherent in your clan! :D i love the look of her chang - it looks so perfectly textured! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yo, I think I will love your auntie lots!! So much nice desserts she makes! So..now we know the cooking genes runs in your family..LOL.. *Salivating on every desserts she made*

    ReplyDelete