Friday 25 January 2019

Tar Chee's Garlic Peanuts


One of the Chinese New Year snacks that I remember from my childhood is Tar Chee's fried garlic peanuts. Tar Chee was my mum's cousin who sadly passed away some years ago.

She used to sell her very addictive peanuts by the bottles which my grandma and my mum would order with a special request for extra garlic chips.


I suddenly remembered these peanuts one day and I told myself that I must recreate the garlic peanuts which I used to enjoy. It can't be that difficult as you only need peanuts, garlic and salt.


I used garlic cloves from one whole bulb of garlic, choosing only the bigger cloves. Since not all the cloves are big,  I had to pinch a few big cloves from another bulb of garlic. Slicing the garlic was made easy by using a mandolin.

I started by frying the sliced garlic until brown and crispy. After they were done, I fried the peanuts in two batches.


How to tell if the peanuts are properly fried? I used to take one and taste and burn my tongue in the process. Now I do it differently. You see, among the peanuts, there will be a few that are without skin. Use these as indicators.

When you see them turning golden brown, it is time to remove the peanuts from the oil. The peanuts will continue to cook as they are still hot and as they cool, they will be perfectly done.


I drain the fried peanuts on paper towels and sprinkle them with sea salt and give them a toss. Once they are completely cool, add the crispy garlic chips and toss gently to mix. Then store the garlic peanuts in a bottle or any airtight containers.


I managed to fill up two bottles and I doubt if these garlic peanuts can last until Chinese New Year hee...hee....

Garlic Peanuts
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :

- Garlic cloves from 1 whole bulb of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 300g peanuts
- oil for deep frying
- salt to taste

Method :
1. Heat oil in wok and fry the sliced garlic until browned and crispy. Drain on paper towels.
2. In the same oil, fry the peanuts in two batches. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.
3. When the peanuts are completely cool, add the garlic chips and gently toss to mix.
4. Store in bottles or air tight container.

Note : When frying the peanuts, I monitor the peanuts that are without skin. When they turn golden brown, remove peanuts to drain on paper towels.

20 comments:

  1. Ooo, I would love to munch on these for CNY. ^o^ What peanuts do you use? These ones seem to be larger. Are they the same ones we use to make lotus root and peanut soup? I sometimes have a problem with frying garlic chips...they come out limp. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are the usual peanuts like the ones for soup. Yes, these are the bigger ones. The garlic chips might be limp because there were not fried long enough or they were sliced too thick. Just guessing hee..hee...

      Delete
  2. Wah, so addictive! If I eat these, sure get sore throat kau kau, hahahaha! Oh dear, you burnt your tongue. Is your tongue ok now? Else you can't taste the food. May your tongue recover fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are just like my partner hah..hah... My tongue is fine now hee..hee...

      Delete
  3. I would definitely love the garlic chips as i am a big fan of garlics

    ReplyDelete
  4. We never had that for snacks during Chinese New Year, just the peanut and ikan bilis combo...for those who drank.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is something new to me... Garlic and peanuts! I love nuts but unfortunately lately, I am having gum problems, got to stop eating hard nuts for the moment... aging problem, this is what I called... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My teeth are also not as strong as before.

      Delete
  6. i've not had peanuts with garlic chips before either! i might not even need the garlic chips, as long as you can infuse the peanuts with the lovely aroma of garlic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh..they are best with the garlic chips!

      Delete
  7. Never see this combination, peanut & garlic chips :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I googled, wah so many recipes came out LOL!

      Delete
  8. I will have to try this out one day. My hubby will pick all the garlic chips.

    ReplyDelete