This recipe comes from Amy Beh and was bookmarked for many years hah..hah... That's me. I bookmark, print and hoard a load of recipes and then never do anything about it. Tsk!
This cake is made using the egg separation method, pretty much like Mrs Ng's Butter Cake. It yielded a buttery moist cake which is lovely except that I felt there was not enough raisins in it.
I baked on new year's day and I chose this recipe because it was easy (well, not quite due to the egg separation part) and I had always wanted to bake this cake from Amy Beh's At Home with Amy Beh 3.
I had all the ingredients on hand, even raisins which is not a staple item in my pantry. It so happened that I saw organic raisins on special offer last year and I bought a can.
I am quite happy with this cake and I am glad that I reduced the sugar by 30g. The sweetness was just right. The next time I bake this cake, I will increase the amount of raisins and add walnuts which I omitted because I had none.
Raisin Carrot Cake
Recipe source : Adapted from At Home with Amy Beh 3 (page 20)
- 185g self raising flour
- 150g grated carrots
- 60g mixture of black and golden raisins (suggest 100g)
- juice from 1/2 an orange
- zest from 1 orange
- 185g butter
- 130g soft brown sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 20g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Soak raisins in orange juice for 10 minutes.
2. Grease and line an 8" square pan and set aside.
3. Sift flour and set aside.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs whites and caster sugar until soft peaks. Set aside.
5. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
6. Add orange zest, vanilla extract and egg yolks, one at a time beating well after each addition.
7. Fold in carrots and raisins until well combined.
8. Then fold in the beaten egg whites, 1/3 at a time, until combined.
9. Next fold in flour, 1/3 at a time, until well combined.
10. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake at 160C for 40 minutes or until skewer inserted into center of the cake comes out clean.
11. Cool the cake in the tin for about 15-20 minutes and the remove to cool completely on a wire rack.