Wednesday 11 April 2018

My Favorite One Dish Meal


One of the easiest dishes to prepare. You've got meat and vegetables in one dish and all you need is a bowl of rice. But for me, I can eat this by itself, no rice required. 

Yup, it's part of my carb cutting meals. As long as I have my meat and vegetables and it tastes good, I am happy.


This is one of my mum's regular dishes which graced our dining table during my teenaged years. It was always good because my mum seasons the sliced meat with light soya sauce, sesame oil and pepper. 

I'll be eating lots of these stir fried dishes with different types of vegetables. 

Mixed Fried Vegetables
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
- 300g pork loin, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp pepper

- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 6 shitake mushrooms, soaked to soften and sliced
- 1/2 green capsicum, sliced
- 1/2 red capsicum, sliced

- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce

Method :
1. Season the sliced pork with minced garlic, light soya sauce, sesame oil and pepper. Set aside.
2. Blanch the broccoli for about 2 minutes and remove to a bowl of cold water to stop it from overcooking. Drain and set aside.
3. Heat oil in wok and stir fry the sliced capsicum for about a minute. Remove and set aside.
4. In the same oil, saute chopped garlic until fragrant.
5. Add the seasoned pork and stir fry until meat turns opaque.
6. Add sliced mushrooms, light soya sauce and oyster sauce. Stir to mix.
7. Adds a bit of water to simmer the meat and mushrooms.
8. Once meat and mushrooms are cooked, add the blanched broccoli and capsicum and stir to mix everything up.

30 comments:

  1. Same here, I can eat it by itself without rice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without rice, I'd need a big bowl, more meat, more vegetables, to be full....and more cost! Eating healthy is expensive...that's why it's difficult to do on a regular basis....haiz :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True true. My fan-less chap fan cost more than regular because I take more of the meat and veggies :(

      Delete
  3. Yummy. I like this. I just had broccoli last night. As matter of fact, I cook it almost twice a week. Rich in mineral and vitamins. My kids love broccoli. I stir fry it with carrots and mushrooms, seldom add any meat to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should cook this more often. It looks like I forgot carrots which I have in the fridge :)

      Delete
  4. Delicious! I like this dish even without the pork! Add more types of mushrooms and it will be superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestion! I will gather more mushrooms for the next one.

      Delete
  5. Nowadays I also cut down rice... can just drink soup or eat the dish by itself, last time I wouldn't want to do that, I Must have rice to go with the dish... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite used to it now. Can even eat curry without rice.

      Delete
  6. If I start following your no carbo diet, I will shrink into Pink Panther fast and crawl on the floor.

    I need RICE!!!!!! I am FAT, so what? Pants tight, buy new ones lah! Dress tight, wear BAJU KURUNG lah!

    Just enjoy eating today, for tomorrow may not come..

    We all know that you are not anywhere FAT or XL sized after seeing your petite feet wearing slippers and bravely trotted into Ritz-Carlton's Grand Ballroom for a wedding dinner!! Whoa!

    #AhHongGEMUK?? #GE14VoteNASI!!!! #SayNOtoDiet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah.... I love rice too and noodles. Aiyah..must jaga badan mah...

      Delete
  7. Yes, sometimes it is best to whip up a dish like this, a bit of everything...and eat with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always marinate my meat with the same ingredients too, perhaps a bit of Chinese cooking wine too~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, I must add wine next time. More flavor and fragrance.

      Delete
  9. One bowl with rice for me pls, slurps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goes well with rice and I want rice after I lose some fats heh..heh...

      Delete
  10. maybe you could add a poached egg to this dish to boost the pleasure factor :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great except that I don't know how to make poached egg!

      Delete
  11. Kalau I sorang yg makan , menu cenggini pun dah cukup LL.... tp nak buat mcm mana ada beberapa mulut dlm rumah tu so terpaksalah merajinkan diri yg tak berapa nak rajin ni huhu....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya lah, tak kan nak masak stail gini untuk Pak King dan bebudak kan? Mesti komplen habis hah..hah...

      Delete
  12. This dish is very appetizing and delicious . Carb free dish is my liking too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whenever I cook, I prefer one dish meal. Easy, tasty and balance, with or without rice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking into such dishes now :)

      Delete
  14. such a homely dish! I prefer to eat with rice for a wholesome meal....hahah, i'm such a 'fan tong'(rice bucket)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a fan tong too but have to control myself!

      Delete