Wednesday 18 April 2018

When You Are Served Cold Food


So. OK, I caved in and gave myself a cheat meal. I was feeling fatigued and light headed which I believe was the effect of carb restriction. Besides I did make some progress, my pants fitted better. This calls for a small reward does it not?

A couple of weeks ago when I walked past Mitsuyado Seimen@The Starling, I spotted this banner.


The Donburi lunch set looked very presentable and what caught my eye were the marinated soft boiled egg. Yeah, I'm a sucker for eggs.

So I made a note to try one of those rice bowls when I'm off my carbo curfew. Well, my self imposed carb restriction went well for the first week or so until I started feeling the effects which resulted in a major carb craving.

I. Want. Rice.

So on a Friday (my now designated cheat day) I walked into Mitsuyado Seimen for my rice indulgence. Among the three Donburi sets, the Roasted Pork & Taco Donburi (the middle bowl on the banner) looked the best to me.

But this was what I was served.


Now, I did not notice anything amiss as my memory is terrible these days. I could not remember the picture of what I ordered.

Did you notice that I got the wrong order? This is the third item on the banner, the Roasted Pork Negi Mayo Donburi.

I dug in eagerly (still oblivious) and when I had my first mouthful, I realized that the meat was cold. Cold as in fridge cold. The rice was barely lukewarm. Is this dish supposed to be served cold?

Not wanting to make a fuss (after all some dishes like soba are served cold), I proceeded with my meal. On the positive side, the meat serving was very generous. However, I did not like the sauce as it was too sweet. Way too sweet. The egg was marvelous and yes, I appreciate being given one whole egg.


I tried to spice up the meal with some chili flakes but they refused to come out of the shaker. Haiz....

The meal comes with green tea (you can choose hot or cold) and that helped wash down that cloying sweetness. Imagine cold sweet meat eaten with barely lukewarm rice. I'm afraid, this lunch which looked so promising was such a letdown.

When I went to pay at the cashier, I asked if the dish was meant to be served cold. I was informed that it should be warm and when I related my experience, the young lady assured me that she would inform the management. Hmmm...

It was only when I was outside taking the photo of the banner that  I realized that I had gotten the wrong order. Haiz....



Then the following week, I decided to test out another of the Donburi sets. This time the Chicken Tororo Donburi. It took much longer to serve, I guess since they have to grill the chicken.



Compared to the pork donburi, this was so not worth it.



Look at that. Only 4 tiny pieces of chicken, 2 sections of leeks and 2 wedges of green capsicum. Sure I like the egg and oh..oh... I forgot that tororo is that slimy yam thingy. Ugh! But I swallowed it. 

I'm afraid I did not like the chicken pieces as they had a very strong chicken smell. I don't know how to describe it but you might understand what I am saying.

The moment I was served, I put my finger to the chicken pieces and they were cool to the touch. And my rice, again was barely lukewarm.

That's it. No more of their donburi. I think the best bet is still their specialty, the tsukemen. And never trust pretty pictures.


24 comments:

  1. Usually those pretty pictures can't be trust, I ever encounter pretty pictures, turn out the food different from their pretty pictures..

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes you should go back on carb a bit since your drastic no carb at all worked. I knew it was the 3rd item from the mayo stripes on the donburi. I think the girl should ask the cook on whether it is supposed to be hot or barely luke warm. I dread chicken taste so I know what you mean so chicken is my last option. thanks for the warning so I won't be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was disappointed. I expected the donburi to be good :(

      Delete
  3. I will not dare to visit this place as it failed to convince our Ah Hong Chee. Honestly there are many Nihon dishes that are served lukewarm and even cold esp the soba noodles! I just swallowed them while in Japan with no questions asked.

    I never trust pretty pictures or even pretty ladies at first sight. Better be safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can safely try their tsukemen. But for ramen, best to go to Menya Musashi at Isetan 1-Utama.

      Delete
  4. I would much sooner go for pork when there is any among the options. Cold? Eeeee!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too actually. Always pork over chicken.

      Delete
  5. Gosh. What a dining experience. I don't like been served cold dish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You went again to the same place after the first experience?
    You're so good lah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must give second chance. And looks like no third chance coming. LOL!

      Delete
  7. It's not good practice to show pictures that are different from reality. It only sets customers up for disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their presentation is quite close to the pictures but sadly tastewise it was not up to mark. And to serve it cold, ugh!

      Delete
  8. Yikes, cold...that's a big no-no for me. When it comes to donburi, I don't expect it to be served cold...not even the onsen egg. I was once served a cold onsen egg and it was just weird eating it with warm rice. On its own, as an appetiser, I can accept it cold...but not in a warm rice dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite appalling that they served the meal cold. I wonder if they have a proper SOP in the kitchen.

      Delete
  9. the roasted pork negi mayo donburi is so nicely presented, but too bad it is cold! just treat it like eating cold hams, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been nice if served warm. But I'm not going back.

      Delete
  10. Cold meat OMG, I think also feel disgusting already and for sure I'll return back to the kitchen. I think they prepare all the meat beforehand so that they can cope with the lunch crowd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very geli eating cold meat like that >.<

      Delete
  11. Oh no.. I don't like cold food either especially rice with dishes.. yes, the four small pieces of chicken meat is indeed too small a portion for someone like me who loves less rice and more dishes.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one with chicken, I feel is shortchanging customers :(

      Delete
  12. I hate cold food too, my food must be warm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always taste better warm. I still can't accept cold Soba.

      Delete