Excuse me, yah? I have featured tempeh before and I am posting it again. I haven't had tempeh for a while and I simply had to have it again.
All I need are 3 main ingredients - tempeh, ikan bilis and peanuts. All 3 need to be deep fried. I know. Oily. Oily. Oily.
And then the sambal just needs chilies, shallots and garlic. Pound. Pound. Pound. And the spice paste has to be fried in hot oil. Again, oily.
Then the 3 deep fried ingredients are tossed in the aromatic sambal. Super OILY. But I love this, OK? It's one of my favorite dishes and I am happy I can cook this at home.
Recipe source : Phong Hong
- 1 piece tempeh, cut into cubes and deep fried
- a handful of ikan bilis, deep fried till crispy-
- a handful of peanuts, fried
For blended spice paste :
- 1 big onion, cut into smaller pieces
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 heaped tbsp chilis paste
- 1 tbsp tamarind juice (asam jawa)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
1. Heat oil and saute the blended spice paste and chili paste until aromatic and oil rises to the top.
2. Add tamarind juice, salt and sugar. Saute for about 1 minute.
3. Add tempeh, ikan bilis and peanuts and stir to coat.