Tuesday 6 June 2017

Lungs Anyone?


Does this look hideous? It's lungs. Beef lungs. One of my favorite dishes to pick at the the nasi campur stall.

I was compelled to cook my own paru goreng (fried lungs) after seeing this recipe on Azie Kitchen

First mission. Buy lungs. But where? Well, at my favorite Jaya Grocer of course. These are available frozen and I bought a packet.

When the lung was defrosted, I took it out from the packaging and washed it. It is soft and spongy and so so red. It had to be boiled first together with ginger and lemongrass (to cut the smell) until tender. 

Once cooked, the lung is sliced and deep fried till crispy. Then you make the rempah which is just pounded shallots, garlic and ginger.

The pounded ingredients are then sauteed with chili paste till aromatic and then the fried lungs are tossed with the spice paste. I may have been a bit stingy on the rempah and next time, I will make more.


This is a dish which is pleasing to the tongue but not so pleasing to the eyes. Look at it. All black and not delicious looking. But I love it.

Sure, it's kinda tedious to cook, what with the boiling, slicing and deep frying and all. Not something I would cook every often but one that I would consider a treat when I do.

Paru Goreng Pedas (Fried Spicy Lungs)
Recipe source : Adapted from Azie Kitchen

Ingredients :
- 400g beef lungs 
-1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- 1 slice ginger

- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp chili paste
- 2 tsp asam jawa juice (tamarind juice)
- salt to taste

Spice paste (pounded)
- 1 big onion
- 4 cloves garlic

Method :
1.  Boil lungs with lemongrass and ginger (I forgot and just boiled lungs it by itself) for about 45 minutes or until tender.
2. Once cooled, slice thinly and deep fry until crispy. Set aside.
3. Heat oil and saute the blended spice paste until aromatic.
4. Add chili paste and continue to saute until slightly dry.
5. Add asam jawa juice, salt and sliced onions.
6. Add the fried lungs and toss to coat.

30 comments:

  1. No thank you. Give this a pass. Haha. No innards/internal organs for me, too hideous for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I like some types of innards, paru is one thing I don't eat...probably because it's usually cooked until very chewy (at least the ones I've encountered at Malay rice stalls) :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have eaten those very chewy ones too. They were either no boiled long enough or over fried. Mine was just nice hee..hee..

      Delete
  3. I know one person who loves this too..Arthur Wee! :) So far never tried the lungs before but have tasted a lot of beef tripe, tendons and briskets here..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could not believe that I have not tried this dish before. Mainly because I could not bring myself to try it knowing that it is paru although I have no issues eating livers and gizzards, stomachs and intestines. Still don't dare to try even today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It's actually quite delicious if properly cooked. I used to look out for it whenever I eat nasi campur.

      Delete
  5. I loveeeee lungs but i like it when cooked rather dry with sambal instead of soft.

    Then it's yucky. Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yeah, it should be fried crispy and cooked on the dryish side.

      Delete
  6. Oh no, no thank you! Once my colleague bought beef lung to cook for an office function and I help to wash it. It felt kind of spongy and geli to me...I have never tasted lungs before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so geli, right? I also felt that way when handling it LOL!

      Delete
  7. I have eaten this several times but I preferred it crispy and spicy of course. I think I prefer liver anytime. I often ate many innards and spare parts without knowing what went inside my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love eating innards. At BKT stall, I love having all the spare parts :)

      Delete
  8. Hi PH ai panggil Paru goreng berlado..sedapppp suka makan tp kedai punya hahaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ni one of my fevret, Lina. Fist time masak sendiri. Lain kali makan kat kedai lagi senang hee..hee...

      Delete
  9. I think I had this before, not too sure. I think I'll just stick to liver and tripe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liver and tripe are my favorites too.

      Delete
  10. Oh! No, thank you. I've not eaten/tasted any lungs, intestines etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee... It's OK, I know those parts sound very scary :D

      Delete
  11. yes, please, I would love to try:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like Pig's intestines, pig livers and duck livers but lungs, I think I have not tried before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if anyone has eaten pig lungs.

      Delete
  13. ingatkan lungs apa tadi PH, looks delicious anyway

    ReplyDelete
  14. My faveret jugak ni LL. Selalu beli paru sambal dengan makcik jual nasi lemak. Ratah mcm tu aje....uiii sedapnya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh main ratah ya, Hainom? Tapi nak masak ni remeh skt lah. Kalau boleh, nak beli kat kedai aje.

      Delete