Friday 5 August 2016

Food Prep! Hers


Sunday. The busiest day of the week for me. This is the day I cook loads of food for the week. I know, not ideal for most of you. But I did mention before that I can eat food that has been cooked a few days ahead. So. Why not?

My food is not frozen, unlike my partner's. Mine is cooked for the week (only for Monday to Thursday lunch and dinner) and kept in the fridge.

Just in case you are curious, my partner's meals featured in my previous post were cooked on a Saturday. What you see here was cooked on a Sunday.


Roasted peppers. I love them. They make a nice side dish. Goes well with roasted meat.


Cauliflower fried rice. These don't taste good beyond a day. Obviously. But still, I made three portions to be eaten over two days (lunch+dinner+lunch).


And my favorite roasted broccoli with bacon.


I am OK with this for 4 days straight. For the rest of you, please do not attempt this. I admit that it does not taste that good from day 2 onward but it will not kill you.

I was left with the cauliflower and broccoli stems. 


There is no wastage here. I sliced them for a mixed vegetable stir fry meant for lunch and dinner on Sunday itself.


Then I found some leftover vegetables in the fridge.


Celery.


Shredded cabbage meant for last week's coleslaw.


A small packet of chicken fillet from the freezer. Marinated and ready to go for the vegetable stir fry.

Char char char! (fry fry fry!). Alamak. Forgot to take photo of my mixed vegetable stir fry. Tsk!

Next must cook my proteins. Make the marinade first from whatever is available in the fridge.

Plonk, plonk, plonk.
I marinated some pork loin and chicken keel. And because I was running out of time, I roasted them together in  one pan.


They seemed to achieve doneness at the same time.

All these activities took me from 11:30am to 4:00pm. Some Sundays, it can stretch to 5pm or 6pm depending on whether I get up early enough to get a headstart on ingredients prep work.

To cut my long story short, this was the end result :



And this :



Happy low carbing to me :)

32 comments:

  1. Fried shaved cauli... I still cannot accept that, no matter what. Just fried cauliflower lah, no need to waste time to make them look like rice what? :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with RG here. since this is homecooked why need to try to fool the brain into thinking the cauliflower is rice?? Outside eatery wants to charge more so tried to fool customers but ownself, no need to fool la.

      Delete
    2. Heh..heh... It makes me feel happier to have something resembling rice with my meat and veggies. I know, it's kinda silly but I just felt like it. So. :)

      Delete
  2. You have an 'iron' stomach, PH. I don't think I can handle food more than a day old. I'd eat food that's left in the fridge overnight (and after reheating) only...more than one day, if I can help it, no! >.<

    I'm not sure if going low carb is all that good. Yeah, most of us want to lose weight and the easiest way is to cut out carbs. But we also end up eating more meat (coz if we don't, we'd be hungry in the next hour). So, more meat isn't good either...unless we go totally vegetarian, that is! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it does help me trim off my excess "pork belly" and what I aim in the long term is to eat smaller portions of a well balanced meal. Right now, going low carb is my most effective means of getting rid of unwanted extra padding hah...hah..

      Delete
  3. Cauliflower rice (and cauliflower pizza crust have gain popularity) for the last two years or so on both sides of the pond.

    I love roasted peppers, too. Over here in the Turkish villages, they throw the peppers, egg plant and chillies into an open fire in the garden. The best dish I had was a chopped salad of the grilled veg with finely chopped garlic and dress in olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love grilled eggplant too! Hmm....must try what you mentioned. Not in a garden fire of course hah..hah... but in the oven.

      Delete
  4. I don't mind - keep food in fridge, eat bit by bit, day by day but I prefer reheating bit by bit too, not all at one go...put what's left back in the fridge then next round, heat it up again. Not nice like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why PH portioned them out nicely for each day before putting them into the fridge. So no need to reheat all but only reheat the portion for that day.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I portion them out as it is much easier to handle that way.

      Delete
  5. I love to eat the colourful bell peppers, just lightly stir fry them with olive oil. U are so diligent to cook this weekly. For me it is the wsshing up that caused me not to cook. I can eat the same food from the fridge for a week no problem but I am too lazy to cook them myself. You are really keng!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... If I don't cook it myself then I have to rely on chap fan which is really not acceptable due to the poor quality.

      Delete
  6. Happy low carbing to you! Keep the sugar and oil low too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good lah you!

    Low carb for you.

    For me, I go carboloading! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You marathon runner tak ape. If I carbo loading, hah..... habis cerita...

      Delete
  8. Hi Phong Hong, ho chiak lah. So long as these activities on Sunday help save time for us throughout the week, why not? Most elderly people can't accept this. One of them is my mum but I'm okay. Why rush and stress ourselves unnecessarily. I have a neighbour who prepares food on weekends and freeze them since her working days. She is now over 70 and still healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! You are right. The sacrifice is worth it because it saves me so much time during the weekdays. So far, I have no health issues with my precooked food, so I guess I can continue with it.

      Delete
  9. Five consecutive hours of cooking! You have the discipline of a military sergeant! Most of my family members - me included - would be sighing and whining after one hour!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah...that's me :) When I believe in something, I just do it!

      Delete
  10. I never tried this way of cooking, the most is today can't finish the foods, keep the next day, finish it up..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite tiring and Sunday koyak...

      Delete
  11. I am not a big fan of cauliflower but I do eat them.

    I do keep food in freezer especially cooked meats. Convenient when I am run out of ideas on what's for dinner some days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pre-cooked food in the freezer is a life saver for those very busy days.

      Delete
  12. Very balanced meal... this evening I had a dish similar to yours ... broccoli, capsicum, asparagus and some meat... one dish only with a bowl of rice and durians together... hahahaa.. mine is an unhealthy meal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can we exchange? I want to taste your cooking and I want the durians. LOL!

      Delete
  13. You are very diligent and discipline. No way I can cook for so many days in one go. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because I have no choice. LOL!

      Delete
  14. Now I am Not working reguraly now but when I work I tend also to cook in sdvance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooking in advance is the way to go for working people like us.

      Delete
  15. My wife fried Cauliflower fried rice and I loved them! I lost weight by just eating them for 2 days straight. Hope your diet plans are working well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good. I did lose some weight but not enough :(

      Delete