Monday 5 October 2020

Mei By Fat Spoon


On our recent date nite, my partner and I went to Mei By Fat Spoon@The Hub SS2. Ah, finally something different from our usual haunts.

My partner was there with family recently for the Mid-Autumn/Mooncake Festival. It was a Thursday evening and it was raining cats and dogs. I did not join in the festivities because I don't do dinners on worknights. 

He even took snapshots for me to see (developing new habit hee..hee..).


He was particularly amused by the name "Moo Moo Rice Bowl" and he thought that the food here would be to my liking. You can check out the menu here.


So there we were on Saturday evening. It is a very nice and cosy place situated at The Hub SS2 service residence. There are a few other restaurants in this location and we plan to check them out too.

After looking at the menu, we ordered the Honey Soy Gizzard Skewers (RM9.00) and Fried Lemongrass Chicken Poppers (RM22.00, for sharing), Ox Tongue Rice (RM22.00, for me) and Mushroom Rice Bowl (RM19.00, for him). 

For drinks it was a Honey Lemon Tea Cooler (RM9.50) for him and an Ice Blended Lychee Mint (RM9.50) for me.


I loved my drink as it was so very refreshing. Definitely will order it again on my next visit. I did not appreciate those shredded mint leaves as they did not impart any distinct minty taste into the drink even when I mixed them up. 


When the Honey Soy Gizzard Skewers were served, I was like, aiyo! So small! hee..hee.. I was expecting bigger pieces of gizzard but never mind. They tasted very good but at the price, I guess it is not so berbaloi lah.


The Fried Lemongrass Chicken Poppers fared better in terms of portion size. Although I could not detect any lemongrass flavor, I thought it was very good as it was very crispy and crunchy. It tasted more like Japanese chicken karaage to me.


My partner's Mushroom Rice Bowl is a vegetarian dish and when I pointed that out to him, he said it is OK because he can get his protein from the fried chicken.


His bowl was topped with a papadom and I reckon the fried mushrooms were good since he did not make any comments.


This is my Ox Tongue Rice. There are two options - with Soy Sauce or Original Mirin Sauce. I went with the latter and was not observant enough to notice that I could opt for extra ox tongue (RM11.00). 


It was good but very lacking in the smokiness of the one I had at Eatomo. But still. it was an enjoyable meal, though I wished I had ordered extra ox tongue. 

Since I did not get a cake for my birthday, I demanded for a Fat Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream (RM15.00) wahahaha!!!


Chocolate cakes don't photograph well and this one tasted far better than it looks. It was a very chocolaty cake, not sweet, more of a bittersweet dark chocolate taste which my partner and I appreciated. My partner does not usually indulge in cakes but he took quite a bit of this one.


I guess we can come back since we both enjoyed the food here. 

21 comments:

  1. Food served sure looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. food looks good but the place looks quiet at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in a residential area and is quite secluded. I think their main clientele are the residents.

      Delete
  3. I was wondering if the beef tongue was better than the one at Eatomo (coz it certainly didn't look like it)...and then you answered my would-be question in the next paragraph already! ;) Haha, you visited the one in SS2 instead of the one closer to home. I vaguely remember visiting Fat Spoon in Uptown before (for just some drinks & snacks with friends so I didn't write about the place) but I think it's closed now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nowhere near Eatomo's (which I miss!). I had been to The Fat Spoon at DU once and yes, it moved! I won't mind coming back since it is nearby and my partner seems receptive to the food.

      Delete
  4. I went to the Hub SS2 just once and it was crowded with youngsters smoking and taking photos at the ponds. It looks like a new happening place. We had to meet a client and settled for the Japanese restaurant which had tables available while others including Mei was full house.

    Your dessert looks like the most delicious and berbaloi priced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was given the understanding that this area is populated with youngsters. It made me feel so old. LOL! I am keen to try the Japanese restaurant but found unfavorable reviews on Google.

      Delete
  5. The food looks exotic...glizzards and ox tongue, never tried the latter before... pork tongue, yes..

    ReplyDelete
  6. That papadom sticks out like a sore thumb, so out of place. I love those rattan chairs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hardly see rattan chairs these days.

      Delete
  7. Ox tongue!! Not for me. The name already spook me, so a big no. Haha.

    I dont mind the lemongrass chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You are not into the exotic stuff.

      Delete
  8. I have been there a few times and always order the salmon rice bowl. Don't have a chance to go there now. Food portion would be small for you I guess. The one in uptown moved to this ss2 hub. I have been to both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I found the portion size small. I had been to the one at Uptown once, a long long time ago.

      Delete
  9. Oh, this post made me thinking about making chocolate cake:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried once, the Sri Hartamas outlet (but not sure if it still exists), food was decent I would say.
    You may try The Ding's next time, food is not bad too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, will take you up on your suggestion!

      Delete
  11. The veggie option would definitely be my top pick.

    ReplyDelete