Tuesday 15 May 2018

Omelette On A Stick?



I have been passing by Shin Tamagoyaki@The Starling (CLOSED) since it first opened not too long ago. I went to have a look at the menu and learnt that they specialize in tamagoyaki which is Japanese style rolled omelette.

Now, I love eggs and I love omelettes. But somehow I do not like tamagoyaki. I found the ones that I have eaten at Japanese restaurants too sweet and the texture too firm. From then on, I avoid tamagoyaki like the plague. Because of that, I gave Shin Tamagoyaki a miss.

Then one day, I saw this banner.


Oh! I do love poke bowls! So I could not resist trying the Tamago Mentai Poke Don Set. It so happened that I was very hungry that morning and paid a visit (in spite of already having breakfast at home).


You order at the counter, pay and then wait for your order number to be called. I was pleasantly surprised to be given a discount voucher for my next visit.

After a while, my number was called and I went to pick up my food.


Another nice surprise was the complimentary tamagoyaki. Well, if it is free, I don't mind eating it hee..hee.... The first item I ate was the tamagoyaki.


I took a tentative bite and was very pleased that the omelette was light and fluffy and only slightly sweet. It was very nice, a far cry from tamagoyakis that I have eaten in the past.


Yes, I could like this. And then it was time to eat my Tamago Mentai Poke Don.


I find poke bowls so attractive. You have rice and a little bit of this and that. Let's take a look at the banner again to see what's in the bowl.


It was nice enough, not something you should rush over for. It made for a very nice light meal. 


I enjoyed this and I won't mind having it again. Over here, you are expected to clean up after yourself.


For the uninitiated, let me show you where and how.


There you go. You'll see this cupboard-looking-thing and throw the paper plate and plastic cutlery into the concealed bin. But don't throw everything out, ya...hah...hah...


I think I'll drop by again when I want a light meal.

29 comments:

  1. I was in Starling yesterday but I ate at BMS. I wanted to try this tamago on stick very much but I am too kedekut when I saw the price because it is just egg for the price of a non meat chapfan at economy stalls. Now with this set and because you say that it is a light meal, maybe I will order one to share with my friend just to eat the tamago on stick since you say it is nice. I wonder is it a special promotion that you get a free tamago stick with your set or does the set include the stick forever? I won't buy the set if there is no free tamago stick, hahahaha. So kiamsiap right? Pengsan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the free tamagoyaki is a promotion as I did not see it advertised with the set meal. I agree with you that it is pricey just for an omelette. Honestly, I won't specially go and buy the tamagoyaki. I prefer spending on the rice bowls.

      Delete
    2. I saw a buy 1 free 1 tamagoyaki but not sure if it is still on.

      Delete
  2. The moment I saw your post title, I knew it would be this place. I love tamagoyaki but think it's too far to travel just to enjoy an omelette on a stick...hehehe! ;) Your tamago mentai don, I can hardly see the mentai...kekeke...and where's the furikake-lah? >_< Well, I guess you have to go back since they're so smart to entice you with a RM10 voucher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, no need to rush over just for the omelette hah..hah...only if you so happen to pass by. Exactly my thoughts - where is the mentai? hee..hee... I hardly tasted it. Hmmmm....I don't know if there was furikake on the rice. Yup, must redeem the vouchers or else I feel like it's wasted hee..hee...

      Delete
  3. Ah Hong Chee, don't forget me the next round you go...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of you when I eat.....

      Delete
  4. Your poke bowl is so pretty like a miniature Japanese garden with all the floral arrangement and colours. Just need to put a Nippon flag & small paper umbrella to scream Banzai!
    This is the first time I see a creative omelette on a stick like an ice cream. Did you actually lick it like a Magnum ice cream? I would do that!
    Even their tong sampah is very plain Zen looking, exactly like those in Japan. The boss must be a samurai who shipped his dustbin over too! I must visit and show them your post for discounts.

    #TongSampahJepun #AisKrimTelor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You go here and eat and you scream Banzai! OK? hah..hah... Surprisingly the tamagoyaki was quite nice. But I won't pay money just to buy it. I prefer to spend on the set meals.

      Delete
  5. seen this kiosk before but it doesn't appeal to me to try out the tamagoyaki, especially with that price. Now after ur review, I tink I'l try it someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If on promotion worth to buy. I saw a buy 1 free 1 promotion but not sure of still on.

      Delete
  6. Remind me of the omelette stick gadget that my hubby bought for me few years ago. Now sitting idly in the shelf. Lol.

    This is nice when you are hungry but want something light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You should take it out from the shelf and use :D

      Delete
  7. Omelette on a stick - now, that is a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i haven't tried this yet, but my colleague has, and he liked it :) i agree that a lot of commercial tamagoyaki elsewhere tends to be disappointing. but i guess there must be a genuine goodness to the authentic ones, since the japanese people generally have great taste in food :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is freshly prepared so that explains why it is way better than the ones I have tried before.

      Delete
  9. Kreatifnya! Ingatkan aiskrim on a stick dgn crab on a stick saja yang ada he he heee....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wah! Syiok ni.

    You made me want to go there and try them too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Generous portion for a free item! I was attracted by thsi banner too when I when to Starling after voting on last Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is the best way to introduce the tamagoyaki to kiamsiap people like me. LOL!

      Delete
  12. I have not seen poke bowls in sg beforr, maybe there are outlets selling them, just that i am not aware

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's like that very thick omelette I had at the Thai place here. Never mind how it is served as long as it has that nice golden fringe and fragrance. This one obviously hasn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no golden fringe this one. Just some slight browning.

      Delete
  14. I like the poke bowl with a little of this and that! Looks pretty too!

    ReplyDelete