Monday 21 May 2018

Chihiro Kushiyaki Izakaya@Damansara Uptown (CLOSED)


I was not aware of this new eatery until my partner told me about it. The shop (same row as HSBC) used to be occupied by Umai-Ya and then Mikado. That's how volatile the restaurant business is at my area.

Since the closure of Hokano, my partner and I have lost our regular cosy Japanese hangout. Yeah, Rakuzen is nearby but it's just not the same. 

One evening, we decided to check out Chihiro. The decor and set up is unchanged since the Umai-Ya and Mikado days. I suppose this saves on renovation cost and is very practical. After all, the previous set ups were Japanese and there is no need to alter anything.




Interestingly, we were seated at the same seat just as when we visited Mikado. Opposite, I could see the other seating, where you have to remove your shoes and  maneuver yourself to get your bum on the cushion and your legs under the table. Trust me, it is very tricky and I was glad we were seated at a normal table. I was in no mood for any yoga-like moves.



As I flipped the menu, I realized that the items on the menu are similar to the ones from Robataya right down to the crockery. The only difference is that Chihiro's menu offers a trimmed down version of Robataya's. Are they from the same management? Maybe.



As soon as we were seated, we were served a complimentary pair of pork on skewers. Nice!

We ordered the Kaisen Sarada (Fresh Salad Topped with Soft Shell Crab and Crispy Prawn), Ninniku Yaki Meshi (Garlic Fried Rice), Teppan Beef Karubi (Stir Fried Beef on Hot Plate) and Buta Kyushu Yaki (Kyushu Style Pork Belly). For drinks, pretty standard, a hot green tea for him and an iced one for me.

The first item to come to the table was the salad.



A few seconds later the server came to whisk it away, explaining that they gave us the wrong one. It took them quite a while to send the correct salad to us.



The salad with soft shell crabs and prawns was really nice, dressed in a creamy sesame dressing. The soft shell crabs and prawns were deep fried and they were very crispy. I loved this salad.



My stir fried beef was nice enough, though the beef was not as tender as I would have liked. The portion is quite small although from the photo it looks like a big hot plate.



I did not taste my partner's garlic fried rice and since there were no complaints from him, I take it that it was good.



The Kyushu style grilled pork belly was tender and delicious except that I found the sauce to be too sweet for my liking. If only they could hold the sugar a little, it would be perfect.

It may look like we ordered too little but I was quite satiated. I have been trying to eat in modest portions, eating only until I am just full and not bursting at the seams. But old habits die hard.

Chihiro calls for a revisit and I hope this restaurant stays :)

24 comments:

  1. Same here, me also old habits die hard...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup....very hard to make changes...

      Delete
  2. Another Japanese outlet.

    Stir fried beef is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have quite a sweet tooth when I was young. As I get older though, I really don't like sugar added at all. I'd probably find the sauce on the pork too sweet too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I wonder how I could chug all those bottled drinks. I can't drink those anymore.

      Delete
  4. Hahaha I like salad 1 due to the avocado but it was not your order. Your salad with soft shell crabs and prawns is much grander than salad 1. It is good that you ordered a good balance of greens and meat. I hope Chihiro gets to stay a long time too for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I hope it stays. They have very good set lunches which I will blog about later.

      Delete
  5. You gave good ratings for everything you both ordered and ate. I would love to eat their Japanese style salad as no other countries make this salad with soft shell crabs and prawns like them.

    I hope that they will be there for a long time with your continued support. The block of shops near that bank has been changing hands so often. I am wondering what is wrong with the feng shui there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The feng shui at the Hong Leong bank side is worse I think. That place is like so dead and 99 Speedmart moved there.

      Delete
  6. Luckily you realised that it wasn't the salad you ordered before you dug in. From the looks of the garlic fried rice, I would have no complaints either. Food looks promising....and there are buffets on weekends :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the food and I will visit often. They have very nice set lunches on weekdays which I will blog about later.

      Delete
  7. Everything looks delicious!!! Looks like a spot I'd like to check out, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the decor, so authentically Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the restaurant business in my area here is also ever-changing...like every 2-3 months will see something new (and some gone too!)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...so when see anew one must faster try before they close LOL!

      Delete
  10. I am drooling at the complimentary pork

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't expecting the pork and it was a pleasant surprise.

      Delete
  11. at least you had a very balanced meal here - so even if you were stuffed, it would have been partly healthy fibre :) i also have a problem with restraint though, so i empathise. especially when the food looks as good as the dishes here :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very tempted to order the skewers as they all appeared so good in the menu!

      Delete
  12. When I saw your 1st salad photo, I thought: where's the soft shell crab? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... yeah that crossed my mind too before they quickly took it away.

      Delete