Wednesday 26 October 2016

My Partner's Craving


It was Friday night and my partner was craving for, of all things, chicken rice. The man has been confronted with my cooking almost everyday and I think he is bored. hah..hah..

So. He took me to Sam Yu, opposite the MBPJ building in PJ State. The first time he brought me here was on the day I was discharged from hospital. I had good memories of that lunch. After 5 days of hospital food, I was like someone who just came out of the jungle. LOL!


It has been some time since we ventured out of Damansara Uptown for dinner. The traffic was heavy (as expected) but it was not too bad.


My partner was very hungry and so was I. Although I thought that 3 dishes would have sufficed, he insisted on 4. That's what happens when you are very hungry. You think that you can eat a whole elephant.


Since he was craving for chicken rice, we ordered half a chicken. Magnificent isn't it?


We opted for the oil rice instead of plain rice.


We must have our veggies and I picked the kangkung belacan.


Not to be missed is the beansprouts.


And one more for the road. The deep fried taufu (in place of chicken feet kerabu that was not available).


Whoa! These are very large pieces of taufu. They were served with mayonnaise.


The serving sizes here are generous and are more than ample for 2 persons. But we are capable of eating for 3. 

When it comes to chicken, my partner prefers the breast while I favor the legs. So it was perfect. No fighting.


As usual, I monopolize the condiments.


This restaurant is quite popular. Many tables were taken up while we were there.


We realized that we ordered one too many and I forgot to bring my stainless steel doggie bag. But since we enjoyed the food so much, we kept on going.


Well done. We'll be back soon I hope. 

35 comments:

  1. Now you've got me craving for chicken rice too. Hmmm...he's craving? Not you? Hehehehehe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chicken does look very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at the chicken, so smooth and beautiful, yummy (slurps)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also prefer the legs, so me and you cannot eat chicken together, haha

      Delete
    2. hah..hah...we have to order two sets of legs :D

      Delete
  4. I am craving for the chicken and taufu, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were there, we can share share...

      Delete
  5. I can see from the pics that you had poached "choi yin kai"....with that nice lovely yellow sheen (I can even recognise it from the chicken bones in your last pic...haha!) :D So much nicer and so different from "yuk kai". Incidentally my post today also has something to do with this chicken...hehe! Since there's both thigh and breast on one plate, I assume you had half a chicken ^_* That must be their best seller as I see only 2 chickens left hanging >_< When I googled this place, it showed me two....Sam You & Sam U Claypot...I believe yours is the latter coz the former one showed pics of an aircond environment with yellow table-clothed round tables of 10 serving set menus. If yours is indeed Sam U Claypot, then (besides kampung chicken) they must be famous for claypot dishes too (from its namesake)....hehe! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, "choi yin kai" is way superior to regular chicken. I love it a lot though it is pricey. We always order half a chicken to share and the boss didn't bat an eyelid hah..hah.. Yes, I went to the Sam Yu Claypot. I saw some claypot dishes but those will have to wait for another visit.

      Delete
  6. I have been to this Sam Yu but we did not eat the steamed chicken. Time for me maybe to go again although we will go for lunch instead. Nice food, especially the deep fried tofu and kangkung.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do revisit. The food here is good and I love the chicken.

      Delete
  7. We can share half a chicken too because I also just eat the breast meat part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! I love to eat chicken rice and all the side dishes that go along. Given a choice, I prefer to eat roasted chicken with the brown skins. I must try this place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please try. Lots of dishes to choose from and I know you will enjoy them.

      Delete
  9. The steamed chicken looks good! I have passed by this restaurant many times but have never eaten there before. Must try, one of these days! I prefer steamed chicken than roasted anytime! I would go for the wings and thighs. The chili condiment must be good, otherwise not syiok! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chicken was superb! I also must have good chili condiment and ginger to enjoy to the max :)

      Delete
  10. Wow..the steamed chicken looks REALLY Good.. well steamed and the yellowish skin must be eaten together with the flesh... oh my.. now I am drooling too! Like you, my preference is chicken thigh anytime... and the wings too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really looks good, right? That was the highlight for me that evening.

      Delete
  11. Can never go wrong with a good old chicken rice. I like thighs and wings. Usually I would attack those parts 1st. With lots chilli dipping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would consider chicken rice as one of my comfort foods.

      Delete
  12. Chicken rice sound good!! When the sambal mix a lots of "chili padi" PH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kak Noor, chicken rice is one of my fav food. Yes, cili padi baru ada kick!

      Delete
  13. I love the wings and thighs and the condiments! My hubby will finish off the ginger condiment in a jiffy even before the chicken arrive at the table. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah..your hubby loves the ginger condiment and that is wonderful! Must order extras if all of us dine together :)

      Delete
  14. i favour the legs too when it comes to chicken - so you and i will definitely be fighting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to order two portions or draw lots :)

      Delete
  15. Yummy to the max ! And with the fragrance rice. Same for me a must have bean sprouts and veggie dishes to go along with chicken rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking of having some more chicken rice hah..hah...

      Delete
  16. The chicken looks really good, as well as the kangkung, beautifully cooked. My hubby prefer chicken breast too, without much bone he said & someone told me that chicken breast is "sor zai yoke", if u understand Cantonese, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... I loved the chicken. I want to eat it again if I have the chance.

      Delete