Friday 28 October 2016

Chicken Rice Maniac


My partner's chicken rice craving was not appeased at Sam Yu and the following evening we ventured out to 1977 Ipoh Chicken Rice at Jalan Gasing. This is getting good isn't it? Two date nights in a row. Macam honeymoon pulak.

From what I heard, this is a very popular chicken rice joint. True enough, when we got there past 7:00pm, the place was in full swing.


Most if not all the tables were taken and we were lucky that a table was available as soon as we walked in. The servers were frantically clearing and cleaning the table for us.


I could feel the energy as I observed the staff working at attack speed to get the orders out.

We learnt our lesson the previous evening and made sure not too order too much food.


I had the ambra juice. It was so refreshing. My partner had warm water.


We warmed up with a serving of lotus root soup. It was very good.


It looks like I had one cheat night too many. How could I not eat rice at a chicken rice shop?


We ordered the kampung chicken but the server came back to inform us that they ran out. So regular chicken it was. In terms of looks, obviously it is nowhere near the one from Sam Yu because that one was a kampung chicken. As you can guess, nothing beats kampung chicken in terms of looks, taste and texture.


And of course, an order of the famous Ipoh nga choy. My partner complained that it was not very tasty. It was OK for me.


I kidnapped his chili sauce and monopolized the ginger paste after he took about a teaspoon of it. I am so naughty.


My partner told me that the restaurant next door also serves chicken rice. 


Oh! There is a banana leaf restaurant on the other side. 

Well, that was a very good meal. We were satisfied and the amount we ate was just right. I hope my partner fulfilled his chicken rice craving. 

33 comments:

  1. Wah, the chicken rice sure looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I found another cawangan at Damansara Jaya which is nearer to me.

      Delete
  2. Two days in a row without having to cook dinner! I like that!!! Glad you had another tasty meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha!! You have been eating at my regulars joints lately. My radar needs to detect your presence at Atria and now here!! Heee heee heee! Please bring out your Muesli Bars when you hear "Tricks or Treat"

    I always ate Chicken Rice at these chain outlets at Jalan Gasing, USJ and D'Jaya cos they have the BEST fried pork belly and roasted chicken that suited both my late parents' liking. Now I kinda avoid these restaurants coz the haunting memories would make me loose my appetite. So you are safe for time being. LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah..You know, just the other day I found the Damansara Jaya branch. So happy! Well, it's good you have fond memories of enjoying your meals with your parents.

      Delete
  4. I think I'm with your partner on the nga choy...doesn't quite look like the fat short type synonymous with Ipoh bean sprouts. Like you, I will also kidnap the ginger paste (I also like the version of ginger paste with green onions).

    I hear that Satellite also dishes out good poached chicken (I think they've won best chicken rice before...some years back). Try that to see how it compares ;) Oh, I didn't know there's another Kanna Curry House here (I always go to the one in Sec 17). Now you have two more places to go on your next date nights...hehe! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, I told my partner I want to try the Satellite chicken rice hee..hee.. I also found out that 1997 Ipoh Chicken Rice has an outlet in Damansara Jaya. Yay!!

      Delete
  5. Wonder will you be going back for the chicken rice and the banana leaf another round, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. White chicken... meh... not my type of chicken. Roasted pleaseeee... anyway I just realized the chicken rice in my office cafeteria, their chicken is quite decent actually...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know that the roasted chicken at chicken rice stall is actually deep fried? Not that I mind, but I have a preference for poached chicken. Well, I guess you don't have to go far to enjoy your keh pui :)

      Delete
    2. Which roasted chicken stall deep fried their chickens? I saw some stalls roast the chickens by hanging them in a big tong with fire beneath the tong.

      Delete
    3. I have seen stalls at the coffee shop deep frying whole chickens by dunking them in huge woks. Maybe not all chicken rice stalls do that.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for your reply. Now I am so curious I want to go spy at every chicken rice stalls to see which one does this though I know some chicken rice stalls dunk the already roasted chicken into boiling oil very quickly to heat them up before selling since the chickens have been roasted long ago and are no longer warm/hot.

      Delete
  7. I have not gone for chicken rice since your partner's craving that day and now he's having it again...and Rose is having chicken rice in her post today too. GIMME MY CHICKEN RICE!!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your next mission is to look for keh pui! LOL!

      Delete
  8. I have been to the satellite chicken shop. This chicken shop I have been to the branch in sri petaling. They also have a branch in midvalley mall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember this place, a blogger blogged about it before. The year is my birth year.

    I love chicken rice. Never bored of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means I am ten years older than you!

      Delete
  10. After looking at poached chicken at Rose's blog and yours, I am beginning to crave for poached chicken rice too! Phong Hong, thanks for helping to identify the plant. You are right, it is the Dianthus plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome , Nancy. I remembered it from my gardening book :)

      Delete
  11. did you return to jalan gasing the next evening to try the chicken rice at satellite? make it three chicken rice nights in a row! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could, but I will visit Satellite soon :)

      Delete
  12. My sister poached two "woo soe kai" last night... steamed and let them cool before chopping them up.. hahahaa... I like those "moustache chicken", the meat is more tougher than the normal ones with "chicken fragrance"... yes, skin yellowish too... Buy a fresh one from the market, PH and you can taste the difference if you do it yourself.. trust me! hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiyo....I should have been there hee..hee... Yeah lah, one day I must go market get the chicken. But I am hopeless at chopping chicken :(

      Delete
  13. I would recommend Boon Tong Kee chicken rice if you come to Singapore, this is their website http://boontongkee.com.sg/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Libby. I will keep in mind if I come to Singapore :)

      Delete
  14. Oh! 2 nights in a row for yummy chicken rice ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, three nights also I won't mind :D

      Delete
  15. I will crave for poached chicken from time to time too but unfortunately hubby not fan of it >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you have to order single portion and eat to your heart's delight!

      Delete