Friday 30 September 2016

Today I Can Eat Whatever I Want


Well, not exactly today. A few days have already gone by. And to what occasion do I owe this special privilege? It was my freakin birthday!

So. What's a birthday without an eating bash, eh? Since it was a weekday, I went solo. To where else but my favorite Thai joint, so aptly named Superthai (CLOSED).

I have been wanting to have the Nasi Superthai Special (Superthai Special Rice Set, RM20.00). It is available everyday, even on weekends for lunch.

What is so special about it is that you get rice with 6 of the popular Superthai dishes - BBQ Pork Belly, Mango Salad, Salt Pepper Squid, Tom Yum Soup, Green Curry Chicken and Crispy Omelette. My favorite Seafood Sauce also comes with it together with a free drink.


Ain't that a grand birthday lunch?


Mango Kerabu with lots of dried prawns (hae bee) and red cili padi (hot! hot!).


Salt and Pepper Squid which was crispy and delish (also with red cili padi thrown in).


BBQ Pork Belly, which I love to eat with the green Seafood Sauce.


That green sauce is very punchy and very garlicky. Love it, love it, love it! But if you are on a date (especially in the early stages of a budding relationship ehem..ehem..), you might want to think twice because it will really mess up your breath (and your prospects). But if you have been married for twenty years already, it don't matter.


The Green Curry Chicken. Very nice. There were many pieces of chicken fillet in there together with a piece of brinjal and long bean. When I first had this curry, I found it too lemak (creamy) but that day it was perfect.


The Tom Yum Soup, as good as ever but I thought that it was super spicy that day. Maybe because my tongue was already burned by the red cili padi.


I discovered this Crispy Omelette under my rice. It wasn't crispy but oily. This was the only element that I was not excited about on my platter.


My free drink. I chose Pandan and it was very refreshing with hints of ginger.


So. There you have it, my self-sponsored birthday lunch. As I was making my payment, the boss asked me if I have tried their Durian Tart. Very clever man, this. Since he already planted "Durian" and "Tart" into my head, how could I not tapau one back to try?


hee..hee..hee... RM4.00 a piece. So how?


Looks promising. Let's take a bite.

And now for the critique. The pastry is light and crispy. Love it. But because it is light and the filling is heavy, you cannot hold the tart up with your fingers (it will droop). 

The filling is suitably creamy and gooey in the center but in terms of the durian I'm afraid it didn't quite make an impression. Could be due to the variety of durian used or there was not enough durian, I can't say for sure. 



It was also not sweet enough. By my standards, when I say not sweet, I really mean it because I take my coffee with no sugar and abhor anything that is overtly sweet.

All this tart needs is an improved durian flavor, a slight boost of sweetness and perhaps a more robust tart shell. This is just my opinion and perhaps only applies to this particular batch of tarts. 

So what did I think of the Nasi Superthai Special? I think it's great if you want to have a tasting platter. Especially so if you are dining alone and want to have a taste of a few of the side dishes.

But at the end of the day, after having tasted all the components on this platter, it is best to some back with company and order a full portion of the ones that you like best.

And yes, I found it very filling, better to share if you are a small eater. It was so filling that I had to abandon my plan of going for a chocolaty dessert.



Note : I noticed that my blog list has disappeared from my sidebar! I don't know how that happened but will check it out over the weekend.

48 comments:

  1. If me eat it, will be my breakfast cum lunch cum dinner liao...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee..I was quite full but come dinner time, can eat wor...

      Delete
  2. Happy Happy Birthday to You, Phong Hong!! Enjoy your indulgence all you can on this day... forget about the carbs.. hahahaa...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claire! I overindulged liao :(

      Delete
  3. When I first saw the pic and your description of it, I was wondering where the heck was the crispy omelette. Aiyah, which moron put the omelette under the rice! >_< It'll lose whatever crispiness it had. OK, I admit it can be oily but I'm willing to forgive that since it had to be fried in lots of smoking hot oil to get the desired crispy edges. That egg should be served on top of the rice....ish! I think you need to order this separately to judge it correctly...hehe! ;D

    P/S: I noticed your missing blog list from the side bar also. I thought you deleted it away! Looks like you might have deleted it accidentally. Looks like more work for you this weekend to restore it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah lah, I found it when digging into the rice. I don't understand why they can't just put the omelette at the side along with the other dishes.

      No, I did not delete accidentally. I added some blogs and it was working fine when I last checked and then the whole lot disappeared! But I have fully restored my list :)

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday Big Boss! May you be blessed with all the happiness and good health everyday. If you had invited me to your birthday party, I would buy you a nice wok! hihihihi

    I love the Thai food you ate, never mind good or bad as I always banjir them with Thai sambal. Hey, I have not tried durian tarts yet. The cheesy goey tarts have been flooding our market lately. Seems like a battle of Hokkaido VS Tokyo Tarts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You buttering me up ke, calling me your boss? :D

      Thai food is among my top favorites and I will not say no to Thai food. Cheese tarts not quite my thing. I am scared of strong smelling cheese.

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday to you! May all your wishes come true! Wah chili padi here and there so it is for sure I cannot eat this dish. Not so spicy thai food I like. Yay! Eat all you like because it is your birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mun :) You can just pick out the cili padi and you will be OK. The food here is good, you must try.

      Delete
  6. That's what I was doing at first: search for the omelette. Apa lah... "crispy" omelette put under the rice, what were they thinking?? But great thing, this sampler plate! I like how they do this, can sample many things at once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! They could have just put it among the other dishes since there is enough room to accommodate all.

      Delete
  7. waaaa reading the title already so syiok!

    Happy birthday PH!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A belated happy birthday, Phong Hong.
    A super birthday meal. Not a lot of eateries do a selection of 'tester dishes'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Corina! Yes, this is quite unique.

      Delete
  9. A very grand birthday treat! Happy belated birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. better grease up my future boss to be...Happy birthday Boss! Nasi superthai special satu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, cuz! You be the boss lah, I am very tired already.

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday PH!

    Go on and have a birthday month celebration... food fest everyday :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yen! I have been eating too much since my birthday LOL!

      Delete
  12. yay! happy belated birthday!!!!!!! and happy belated 20th wedding anniversary? heheheh :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sean! The wedding anniversary part err.... LOL!

      Delete
  13. Blessed belated birthday to you Phong Hong.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG, so glad I came in time to wish you Happy Birthday, dear! Wow, you're really giving yourself a treat feasting! Have fun, PH! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shirley! I have been giving myself treats even after my birthday. Tsk! LOL!

      Delete
  15. Happy Birthday Phong Hong! I do so love your blog! Ann/KCH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann! And thank you for loving my blog :)

      Delete
  16. Happy Birthday PH! It looks like a very satisfying meal, I love that BBQ Pork Belly with green seafood sauce, I have never tried green seafood sauce before, feel like trying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Libby! It was a great meal hee..hee...

      Delete
  17. Happy Belated Birthday PH. Birthday definitely for feast and a lot of feast!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am missing from your blog list, sob sob :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops! Sorry! I have added you already :)

      Delete
  19. Yes, I was wondering about your list. I thought suddenly you've turned anti-social, breaking all ties with everybody. LOL!!! Hmmm...for RM4, that tart sure deserves an extra-big plastic container. The rice set sure looks good! Oily omelette? They should have dabbed with kitchen towel before serving to you - that would solve the problem. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know how that happened and had to rely on my memory to add everyone back. I normally buy pastries in twos but since I was full and was not too sure if the tart was any good, I just bought one. It does look lonesome in that big box LOL!

      Delete
  20. Happy Birthday to you, Phong Hong! A super treat for the birthday girl! Ha ha I was seaching for the omelette and suddenly it appeared!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Belated Birthday! Yes, give yourself a nice treat!

    ReplyDelete