Wednesday 24 August 2016

Stainless Steel Doggie Bag


Now what is this all about? That up there is my little stainless steel food container cum doggie bag. I stash it neatly into my handbag. It comes in handy when there are leftovers when I dine out. What? Leftovers?

Leftovers was never in my vocab. I always polish off my food with gusto. But lately, I have been training myself to eat less. Portion control is very important if you want to lose/maintain your weight.

When I eat out with my partner, we tend to order more than enough food. If we stay on the conservative side, we end up not satisfied (and hungry later).

But if we order more, there will be some leftovers which we try to finish and end up stuffed. Well, actually I'm the one who finishes up the food (because he is always concerned that I don't have enough to eat). I realized that such "force feeding" leads to weight gain.

For example this bit of leftover. In the past, I would have gobbled it up, notwithstanding that I am already way past full. A case of waste not want not.


One whole fried chicken wing and a slice of pork belly. It's not much and it would be awkward to get the restaurant to pack it for me.

When I was done with my meal, I offered my partner that last piece of wing and belly. He declined as he also does not want to overeat. 

So shanngggg.... out came my stainless steel doggie bag from my auntie handbag (big handbags are very useful) to stash away the leftover food.


Back home, it went into the fridge. I thought I might save it for dinner the next day.

But the next morning, I was hungry. So. Out came the doggie bag from the fridge. The contents transferred onto a plate and microwaved.


That was a very oily breakfast >.<

35 comments:

  1. This kind of breakfast sort of beats the purpose of a low carb diet. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No lah. Can eat almost anything for breakfast cos can work off the calories during the day. Just don't eat oily food for dinner and go to sleep soon after that.

      Delete
    2. Fats is good because fats burn fats! :D :D :D

      Delete
  2. Me now getting older, can't eat much as before in my younger days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I do notice that you order too much for two...now I know where the balance went....hehe! :D Hey, I carry a doggie bag with me too (sometimes)....only mine is a plastic tupperware and when I'm dining alone. If I'm dining with friends and family, no need for the doggie bag coz I have them to help finish the food! ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are both big eaters and that's how we normally eat hee..hee... But we are cutting down now. Ah...you too carry a doggie bag :)

      Delete
  4. You have that in your handbag??? Wowwwww!!!! That must be really big. Ok, what else have you in there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, there are lots of stuff in my handbag hee..hee...

      Delete
  5. 2 for the price of 1! Sounds like good value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Main course and enough left over for another meal.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, hah..hah... but the leftover is not much.

      Delete
  6. Good practice! I do this too. Put half my lunch into a stainless steel container for my dinner to prevent me from eating too much in one meal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Phong Hong, you are doing the right thing to pack. Who knows the leftovers you have paid for would end up in the bin. My hubby is the direct opposite of your partner, he finishes up the food and always give me a small portion. He thought that I can't eat much, but I can eat a lot, leh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, you made me laugh! hah..hah...you must tell your husband, then he will give you a bigger share to eat :)

      Delete
  8. I don't think the waiter would mind to pack the leftovers for you. The last time I had dinner with a group of seniors (Mom's friends), we made sure that we could polish the plates before ordering more.

    When I had pizza for lunch with another friend here, the waiter was actually elated that I was bringing the remaining slice with me home.

    I don't usually bring a doggie bag with me unless there's hot food involved. (Never fancied the idea of hot takeaway food in plastic containers.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the waiters don't mind, just that I prefer to do it right there at the table.

      Delete
  9. Wow your this post has given a reminder to me too ... to bring along my stainless steel container with me at all times; just in case to pack any leftover food when I eat out .Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a recent habit that I picked up :)

      Delete
  10. the first thing that caught my eye in your pics was the newspaper badminton headline in the background! it's quite distracting, and i'm having trouble concentrating on the food, hehe :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, hah..hah... It was all quiet at the restaurant the night before because most people were watching the match.

      Delete
  11. Lol....it's faster than waiting for them to help to pack.

    Whole chicken wings wor...nice....it would end up as my brunch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya lor, faster and also cleaner I think.

      Delete
  12. Phong Hong,
    I don't have the habit of carrying food container when I eat out. Sometime if there's leftover I'll ask for 'tabau'.
    Agreed. .. that was oily breakfast ... hee .. hee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! I know you are a small eater, so most of the time no leftover. I am trying to eat less hee..hee...

      Delete
  13. The more oily, the merrier :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am also trying to discipline myself not to order too much. I think that is a great idea to carry a food container after all I too carry big bag with me..hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah...big bags are in! Can put all sorts of things inside hee..hee...

      Delete
  15. You are right, I always force myself to finish the ordered food and end up overeat. I should bring a container like you too next time when dining out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do bring a container. It is not good to overeat.

      Delete
  16. Wow! We are friends who think alike. I always carried many big plastic bags to wedding dinners to tapao all the leftovers to feed beggars at midnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing a noble thing indeed, unlike me, I wallop it for myself LOL!

      Delete