Saturday 2 October 2021

No Banana Leaf

My brother and I had our first dine-in together at Kadei by Manchula. Yay ! How I long for banana leaf rice!

When we got there we were quite pleased that not many tables were taken. 

My order but no banana leaf hah..hah...


But it's all right. Understandably at a time like this, the restaurant did not stock up on banana leaves.


I actually liked my meal served in this large plate.


Bittergourd...


Cabbage....


And some sort of gourd. The vegetables were all right, not particularly outstanding.


The Mutton Varuval was good but not as good as I remembered it. The fish curry gravy that accompanied my meal was very tart, but in a good way.

My brother's order was thosai.


Eh, with a roti canai thrown in.


My brother ate up everything except the dhall. So I tasted it. No wonder. It was watery and bland.


I really liked this pretty plant.

That was a good meal, my tummy was very satisfied!


This was one of my week day makans. Spicy beef pho.


Very spicy!

15 comments:

  1. Spicy beef pho? Never had that. I sure would love to try even though I prefer clear soup.

    Never mind no banana leaf, here no leaf, no nothing!!! I asked and they thought I wanted my order served in a plate lapis with banana leaf, so stupid!!! Kuching, they have a few nice places, not here - not even one. So angry!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't miss the banana leaf and if given a choice I would prefer the plate. Well, I do hope that in time to come there will be a banana leaf restaurant in Sibu!

      Delete
    2. There are benefits, eating food served on a banana leaf!
      https://prorganiq.com/blogs/new/benefits-of-eating-food-in-banana-leaf

      Delete
  2. Me too! I miss banana leaf rice.

    The flower was pretty. Some kind of lily I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is some sort of succulent plant like a cactus.

      Delete
  3. Ah, banana leaf rice. You didn't banjir your rice with all the curry gravy of different types? Wah, the spicy pho sure looks spicy 🔥🥵 so I cannot eat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only asked for one type of curry gravy.

      Delete
  4. Maybe it's not a case of not having stock of banana leaves...but a case of hygiene in times like these as people has become more concerned about cleanliness and food handling. I believe the curries were also served to you separately as opposed to leaving those 3 or 4-in-1 containers containing curry on your table for you to self tambah. P/S: I like the plant too...very pretty It has this icy frost look on it...like an ice plant...lol! Is that some kind of cactus plant? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, the curries were served separately. Nowadays, restaurants don't leave sauces like ketchup on the table anymore for hygiene reasons and I hope it stays that way. Imagine the number of hands touching the bottle. I never thought of it that way before the pandemic!

      I also think that plant is a cactus.

      Delete
  5. Sedap giler....i will flood the rice with lotsa curries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For the first time I saw bitter gourd was cooked this style in a BLR restaurant, usually wis fried version.
    What a pretty succulent plant!
    Wow, that spicy pho, I would like to try by just looking at its appealing appearance. From Starling Mall food court?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the spicy pho is from Starling Mall foodcourt.

      Delete
  7. I used to love being served the curry rice on banana leaves. It's fun and traditional feeling but it doesn't make the food tastier or yummier. Actually not many restaurants use banana leaves nowadays and I thought the supplies got lesser due to trees being cut down.

    The plant is really pretty. One glance it looks like a fake. I want to find them and grow in my empty fish bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I touched the plant and it was real hah..hah... Can plant indoors for decoration.

      Delete