Sunday 17 October 2021

How I Make Water Kefir (Primary Fermentation)

I have been enjoying water kefir for many weeks now and I am not tired of making this refreshing probiotic drink. It is fun to experiment with all sort of flavorings.

I started my first batch of water kefir on 15-09-2021. I remember that date very clearly because the kefir grains I ordered arrived a day before Malaysia Day. It was perfect timing.


I did not snap a photo of the water kefir grains as I was in a kacau-bilau (frazzled) state of mind. It has been about a month now and I noticed that my grains have multiplied.

These are the things I use to make the initial water kefir ferment - a 1.5 liter jar, a measuring cup, a strainer (the grains were strained from a previous batch) and plastic spoon (note : not advisable to use metal, only glass or plastic).


I was curious how much water kefir grains that I have, so I measured using a plastic tablespoon.


One .....


.... two. When I first received the grains, there was much less.


I put the water kefir grains into the jar and then I prepare the sugar water solution.


I use organic brown sugar or sometimes organic cane sugar. The recipe instruction that came with my order says 1/3 cup sugar to 700-800ml water. Don't be afraid of the sugar. It's not for your consumption but for the bacteria and yeast to eat hah...hah...hah...


At the end of the second fermentation (depending  on how long you leave it to ferment) the solution is barely sweet and becomes a little tangy. I will get into that later in another post. We focus on the primary fermentation first.


I use mineral water because the water kefir grains need minerals to survive. The water that I drink at home is distilled water which is devoid of minerals. 


Add water and stir to dissolve the sugar. I have watched countless Youtube videos to learn and I see some of the Youtubers using hot water to dissolve the sugar but I find that this is unnecessary. 


Then simply pour the sugar water into the jar.


Then cover the jar with a clean cloth and secure with a rubber band.


Like this.


There you go. Easy isn't it? This jar will stand at room temperature for 48 hours. Sometimes I ferment it for 24 hours only IF the fruit juice that I am using for the secondary fermentation is low in sugar eg. organic cranberry juice (which is unsweetened). 

I will do another post on how I flavor the water kefir. If you are interested, you can learn more about the benefits of kefir here.

Meanwhile these are the flavors that I made so far.


Blueberry.


Apple.

And my favorite flavor so far is passion fruit.


It is the only one I have done using fresh fruits. The rest (with exception of frozen blueberries) are store bought organic fruit juices.


The flavor is outstanding.


Especially with a squeeze of lime.


Can't wait to buy more passion fruit!

15 comments:

  1. I'll just stick to the fruit juices minus the fermentation. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My partner probably shares the same thoughts. LOL!

      Delete
  2. I love the real fruits you put inside so that the drinks will be refreshing and fruity. I wonder will drinking these water kefirs help in going to the toilet for people who has constipation often? Know anyone who can vouch for this personally?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a testimony you can read in the link I put in the post. It is quite interesting.

      Delete
  3. For people who are going on a low sugar diet I would say this fruity water kefir is exactly the drink that they need instead of real fruit juice full of fructose, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everyone likes the taste of water kefir so I can't comment on that.

      Delete
    2. Ya, I guess need to read the testimony of the link in your post to read about the benefits. No one likes to eat bitter medicine but they all have to eat bitter medicine for their own good so since water kefir is full as benefits as mentioned in the testimony, don't like the taste but sayang their health then should drink water kefir like how they will eat bitter medicine unless they don't sayang their health and they don't even eat the bitter medicine doctors prescribe. You are good, you drink water kefir so you will stay healthy long long to enjoy life with Ah Girl and Belle Belle.

      Delete
  4. I've never had this drink. You flavor varieties look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best discovery I made this year!

      Delete
  5. Yes, the one with the passion fruit juice and lime looks delicious. One of my son is making this drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for him! I am enjoying water kefir everyday.

      Delete
  6. Happy experimenting with different fruits/ingredients for your kefir water!
    I think I have to have a taste of kefir water first if I really want to start to make it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, buy the commercial ones first to taste. That's what I did as well. I found them to be on the sweet side but my homemade ones are not.

      Delete
  7. If you didn't mention it's kefir water, the drinks look refreshing enough and I think I'll enjoy the blueberry & passion fruit ones for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you would! Mine are more on the tangy side and barely sweet.

      Delete