Monday 10 February 2020

Ice Ice Veggie


The first time I read about Ice Vegggie was on Nancy's blog. Then Nancy mentioned about it again here. What is this Ice Vegetable?

Last weekend on my Sunday grocery run, I found this mysterious vegetable. There was a promotion and the promoter was getting the veggie ready. I saw that he had a bottle of Kewpie Roasted Sesame Dressing with him.

This vegetable does not come cheap. It retails at RM9.90 per box. 


The weight displayed on the box is 150g which includes the weight of the cherry tomatoes packed together with this Ice Veggie.

Why is it called Ice Veggie? Look.


Do you see the "ice crystals" on the stems?


Let's take a closer look.


The "ice crystal" structures are present along the stems and underside of the leaves. I took a leaf and ate it neat just to experience how it tastes like. This is a succulent plant and it is crunchy and juicy. It has a peculiar flavor which is not unpleasant and tasted mildly salty to me.


My impression of this vegetable is that it is a highly perishable/delicate vegetable and has to be kept well chilled. If left out too long, it might start to wilt and spoil. It also seems easily bruised and has to be handled with care. But I could be wrong because I understand that it is also sold at wet markets.

It is supposed to be very nice eaten with Kewpie Roasted Sesame Dressing


I did not have Kewpie with me but another brand of sesame dressing (which came with a salad promotion) which was not as good. Listen, Kewpie Roasted Sesame Dressing is THE BEST. Don't buy any other brand. 


So that satisfied my curiosity about Ice Vegetable

22 comments:

  1. Yes, i learned about this ice veggie in nancy's blog too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be something very new as there are not many cooking posts on it.

      Delete
  2. Read from Nancy's blog and another Singaporean blog. I am curious. I dont see this over here. If do, I would love to try it.

    I agreed on Kewpie dressing but long time I didnt make salad at home. So no Kewpie at home. Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried looking at Jaya Grocer, also don't have!

      Delete
  3. Will you buy it again? I would buy this to try too if I see it being sold in the super markets that I frequent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dropped by a place here selling organic hydroponic vegetables, all kinds of lettuces. Don't think I saw anything like this one though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite rare I think as another supermarket near my office does not have it either.

      Delete
  5. i love leafy veggies, so this would right be up my alley. jaya grocer says you can use ice plants to make tea :) https://www.jayagrocer.com/product?variant_id=220311

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read about making tea with it too but I would prefer it as a salad.

      Delete
  6. I've heard of this veggie before...and guess what....I just ate it for the first time last week. They call this ice plant (or crystal ice veggie)...and it was served in the exact same way too...with cherry tomatoes in a roasted sesame sauce. I like it a lot! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Good to know that you liked it. I would have a better experience next time with Kewpie's dressing.

      Delete
  7. It's a first time when I see it, it looks a bit like sage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mentioned, it does look a bit like sage :)

      Delete
  8. now I m curious and wanted to try this ice veggie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, please blog about it and let me know if you think it is nice to eat :)

      Delete
  9. I fell in love with it on my first taste. Yes, Kewpie roasted sesame dressing is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can tell that you love this Ice Veggie very much!

      Delete
  10. I can get ice plant at cheaper price in supermarket near my place :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am rather fond of the texture of ice veg.

    ReplyDelete