Wednesday 5 February 2020

CNY Day 2 Dinner @ Simply Ribs


In spite of the heavy Indian banana leaf lunch, we all found ourselves hungry even before dinner time hah..hah... Dad wanted to eat his favorite - Fish and Chips.

From experience, we know that the festive season is not a good time to visit 1 Utama, where our favorite Fish and Chips haunt is - Fish & Co. We dislike crowds and we do not like to wait for a table. So we headed out to Simply Ribs

When we got there, we discovered that the restaurant was fully booked but there were seats available outside. So al fresco it was.


My parents and my brother ordered the Fish & Chips. I wanted something else. After looking at what was available, I selected the Tok Ma's Ribs Penyet.


This is my mum's Fish & Chips, two pieces of Alaskan Pollock, fries, tartar sauce and coleslaw.


The Tok Ma's Ribs Penyet looked like this. Rice, sup tulang and sambal served on a big rectangular plate.


The ribs, fried beancurd and tempeh, were served separately.


The ribs did not look impressive. I turned it over.


There was not much meat on the ribs. The meat was well marinated though a bit on the dry side. Had the membrane been removed, it would be better as it was very chewy.

The sambal was good and so was the sup tulang. I must admit that I enjoyed my dinner although at RM59.00, I would not order this again. Many thanks to mum who insisted on footing the bill (again!).

So that ends my makan-makan session with my parents and my brother as I spent day 3 baking a whole lot of cookies and getting ready for work (laundry, ironing arrghhh....) on day 4. Sigh....

18 comments:

  1. Wah, a banana leaf rice and ribs!
    Awesome!

    Interesting menu, ribs penyet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what got me curious. How to penyet the ribs? hee..hee...

      Delete
  2. the rib doesn't looks good to me...and I dun eat tempe...so that dish is not for me...I would prefer the fish&chips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fish & chips is not bad but my brother said that the one at Fish & Co. is much better.

      Delete
  3. Wow, your family members are really big fans of fish & chips I see with all three ordering that! ;) For my family, only my son is. I don't mind it once in a while but I always feel that fish & chips is the easiest to nail for a restaurant once you get the batter right (as in crispy), so I'd usually go for something else just to see how good their cooking is. Perhaps you and your brother might want to try Bait's & Raft's fish & chips for a change so that your parents have more options when they're next in town. I think they're pretty decent but I don't know how they stack up to those you like since I don't eat as much fish & chips as you guys had. P/S: I don't think I've ever eaten ribs served with rice and soup before! O_o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, fans, all three. I'll take you up on your suggestion as I want to see which ones are worthy to take my parents to! My first time too, ribs with rice. It was good except for the steep price.

      Delete
  4. The ribs look too dry in the photos but I guess they expect you to drizzle the soup tulang over the ribs. I would prefer Alaskan pollock in this case. So your parents are staying with your brother so you didn't see them on CNY Day 3?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they stayed with my brother. I did not think to drizzle the soup over the ribs!

      Delete
  5. Alaskan pollock is nice for Fish N chips. The ribs looked amazing. Yummy.

    I dislike crowds and long wait too, especially when you are hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I prefer fish and chips too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must try it the next time I visit :) Must experience for myself if the fish & chips is good.

      Delete
  7. The ribs don't come cheap. I'd stick to the fish, at least it was not Dory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, anything but dory! I avoid it too.

      Delete
  8. Beef ribs never my option as I think I didn't had any good version that really impress me. Is this a halal restaurant as I did not see pork dishes in your both posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a halal restaurant owned by two medical doctors :)

      Delete