Monday 23 December 2019

My Favorite Cakes


Let's see, when was the last time I baked? Oh dear. I don't remember. Ironic isn't it? I started this blog to document my baking journey (and mainly to help me get out of depression) and now I have stopped baking. Tsk!

It could be a good sign i.e. I am no longer depressed. Hah! But I will start baking again because I miss it. Besides there is nothing more joyful than to eat a freshly baked cake.

These are among the cakes that I should really bake again.

Steamed Moist Chocolate Cake
Ah! Who doesn't like chocolate cake? Gosh I miss this moist chocolate cake. After steaming instead of baking a chocolate cake, I have come to appreciate that steaming can produce a very good cake. I used to think that steaming a cake was weird. Well, not anymore.

Triple Chocolate Buttermilk Pound Cake
This is another scrumptious chocolate cake which is drizzled with chocolate ganache prior to serving. It feeds many people hee..hee.. and is a good cake to serve at gatherings.

Peanut Butter Banana Cake
Yet another chocolaty indulgence. But this one is a bit challenging to produce. The first time I made this was a disaster but I learnt a lot from there. I am game to take the challenge again!

Chocolate Orange Ring Cake
I almost forgot about this one. The combination of chocolate and orange is so fabulous! A very good cake, moist with tender crumbs. Definitely must bake this again soon.

Best Butter Cake

This cake needs no introduction as it is the famous Mrs SK Ng Butter Cake which made me love butter cake. If you love butter cake and want to bake a really good one, use Mrs SK Ng's recipe and you will never look back.

Walnut Cake
This Walnut Cake is basically a butter cake which contains walnuts. I know that there are people who dislike nuts in their cake (and chocolate) and perhaps this cake is more for the walnut lovers.

Blueberry Orange Buttercake
Or how about a fruity butter cake? I enjoy this one a lot because I am mad about blueberries and somehow I think blueberries go very well with oranges.

Pandan Chiffon Cake
This is a perennial favorite with my folks. My mum and dad love Pandan Chiffon cake and so do I and the rest of the clan. It is among the first cakes that I learnt to bake and I am happy to say that my pandan chiffon cake turns out well every time (trumpets blowing loudly).

Japanese Cotton Sponge Cake
Haiz.... this one, very challenging. But worth the effort. If you can do a chiffon cake, you can handle the batter for this one except maybe for the baking part. But as with anything else, practice makes perfect. So, if you want to be good at baking, bake more often!

So let's see if my first post for 2020 is a cake or what? 

No! Me!

26 comments:

  1. Oooh. Cakes post. I love the Japanese sponge cotton cake and moist chocolate cakes. Wish I could bake as good as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you can bake well too if you baked often enough.

      Delete
  2. Peanut butter cake. Heard of that, waiting for the day when I can get to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! Now I want to eat cakes after looking at all the delicious cake photos in your post. Yes, post about girl girl cat for 1st post 2020. yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee.. I would be delighted to put my Girl in my first post :)

      Delete
  4. Ah, I see you've gotten on the bandwagon of putting out summary-kind-of posts...like me (similar to your previous one of what to cook for Christmas...and I agree, roast chicken is the easiest and everyone loves it). These posts take a much longer time and effort to write. I like to read this kind of post. It serves as a reference point and we can revisit the ones we want...hee..hee! ;) As for cakes, my favourite is still a simple butter cake (and don't mind if it's studded with blueberries) but I do like to eat (not bake) that decadent-looking peanut butter banana cake though. ^_~

    I see your Ah Girl is just like Cookie...always trying to hog the limelight...and wants your first post of 2020 to be about her! :D P/S: I read your post on depression (thanks for sharing)...and glad you've come out of it. I think many people face depression, just that some don't recognise or admit it. I feel that too at times...hmmm, maybe blogging do have its advantages after all in keeping us sane...haha! ;D So, since we'll only be 'meeting' next year, here's wishing you and your family Merry Xmas, a Glorious New Year...and Happy Holidays, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran out of what to write so...hah..hah... true true, much harder to write and had to hunt for the old photos too. After baking the more complicated cakes, I now realize why we have to pay so much for a slice!

      hee..hee.. now that I have my own Cookie, I can put her up in my post when I run out of food posts. Depression still revisits me but not as often as before. I am glad that I am a much happier person now.

      Let me also wish you and your family (Cookie included!) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Kris. And please, blog about Cookie once in a while. I miss him!

      Delete
  5. I have my eye on your peanut butter banana cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have good taste in cakes hee..hee..

      Delete
  6. I always admire & salute to those who can bake as I'm totally not good at baking :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe baking is not your interest but you can cook well!

      Delete
  7. My favourite would be the peanut butter banana cake. First post of 2020, cake or cat? Let's see lol.

    And here is wishing you a merry xmas and a good year in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want a piece of those cakes!!! no...not one...maybe two...or three! lucky cat got into ur first post in 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am drooling over all your cake photos. These are all beautiful cakes and you can open a cake shop anytime. So your first post of 2020 will be featuring your pet cat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh..thank you hee..hee.. Maybe the cat or maybe roast chicken. LOL!

      Delete
  10. Oh my, that's a whole lot of cakes to drool over!

    But the last one is too cute to not be the first post in 2020! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...my cat will be happy to hear that hee...hee...

      Delete
  11. Happy New Year! Hope 2020 is filled with many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year! Indeed, I hope for many blessings for you too!

      Delete
  12. Happy new year to you! you're my favorite blog!
    God bless, Divine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Divine! Happy New Year! You are so kind to say so :)

      Delete